106 replies to this topic

#101 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,302 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:10 PM

I would loveeee to have Dwight king.
But I see him as more of a skilled player, hes got some good hands.

Skill player might be overstating it.  :P  

But yeah, he's not really a goon (though he looks like one).  He's a big guy who will hit and scrap, but does have some pretty good hands. 

#102 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:12 PM

Skill player might be overstating it.  :P  

But yeah, he's not really a goon (though he looks like one).  He's a big guy who will hit and scrap, but does have some pretty good hands. 

Ha.im Definitely being generous.
But I really like him.
And he'd fit right in with the caveman looks of sheahan and lashoff.

#103 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:13 PM

The Kings have drafted a few guys like that.  

I'd love for the Wings to have drafted someone like Jordan Nolan.  6'3" 221 lbs.  24 yrs old.   Will hit, isn't a afraid to scrap with anyone.  Can chip in a few goals.   picked 7th round 186 overall. 

Or Dwight King. 6'4" 230 lbs. 24 yrs old.  HIts, will fight, can play hockey and go to the hard areas of the ice.  4th round, 109th overall.

Over the years it's been great for the Wings that they didn't have an anti-Euro bias in drafting guys.  I swear though it seems like sometimes they're biased against drafting big physical kids in the late rounds.  Like they'd rather keep their fingers crossed on a small skill player in hopes they'll land another Zetterberg. 

Yeah and it's not like King is a bad player, the guy can play for sure and their fourth line is feared around the NHL. The problem with drafting so many small guys in all the later rounds is that the Wings might still think, they are ahead of the curve when it comes to Euros which simple isn't true, other teams are sending their scouts to Sweden, Swiss, Finland and the other top leagues too so it's much harder to find a gems. Would be a good time to change the approach and start drafting big, physical kids.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#104 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,302 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:15 PM

Ha.im Definitely being generous.
But I really like him.
And he'd fit right in with the caveman looks of sheahan and lashoff.

Agreed. 

He's realistically probably a really good 3rd liner, but he has played all over the Kings lineup, including 1st line with Kopitar. 

Nolan is more like a Thornton.  Though he's bigger and only 24, so his game still might develop some. 

#105 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:18 PM

Agreed. 

He's realistically probably a really good 3rd liner, but he has played all over the Kings lineup, including 1st line with Kopitar. 

Nolan is more like a Thornton.  Though he's bigger and only 24, so his game still might develop some. 

Kopitar is another guy who has great size, he doesn't fight but he for sure knows how to use his body. I remember the time he got drafted I told a buddy of mine whichever team is going to draft this kid has a potential star right there, he laughed it off well now everyone can see what this guy can do.

Overall the Kings lineup is just filled with guys that have size and can obviously play really well. They have the makings of becoming a dynasty.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#106 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:21 PM

Edit

Yeah and it's not like King is a bad player, the guy can play for sure and their fourth line is feared around the NHL. The problem with drafting so many small guys in all the later rounds is that the Wings might still think, they are ahead of the curve when it comes to Euros which simple isn't true, other teams are sending their scouts to Sweden, Swiss, Finland and the other top leagues too so it's much harder to find a gems. Would be a good time to change the approach and start drafting big, physical kids.

For the most part they have.
It used to be six small skilled euros, and two or three flyers on big guys.
But now its more the other way around.

It just takes time to get them in the system, were seeing that now with sheahan, jurco, and hopefully this season with mantha.

Edited by jimmyemeryhunter, 20 June 2014 - 06:21 PM.

#107 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:53 PM

True - however a good portion of said fighters could make the opposition miserable by hitting them hard, and clean each time that player hits the ice.

Most players in the draft don't make it to the NHL - be it skilled or thuggish.

Forgive my ignorance - I don't recall the Wings drafting anyone with a penchant for the rough stuff in quite some time, but then again I really don't follow Major Junior, nor the AHL.

13-Bertuzzi and McNulty

12-McKee

11-Hudon and Nedomlel

10- Sheahan (not a fighter but projected as a physical center)

09-Callahan

08- Cayer is a big guy

07-Smith

06-Matthias was supposed to be a power forward

Before that they had guys like Kolosov, Bootland, and Ryan Barnes.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!