• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wings3:16

Dan Cleary may return...sigh

Rate this topic

Apologies if this has been posted but this is ridiculous...

http://www.freep.com/article/20140617/SPORTS05/306170041/detroit-red-wings-jordin-tootoo-daniel-alfredsson-daniel-cleary

"Alfredsson and backup goaltender Jonas Gustavsson are among the few potential unrestricted free agents the Wings have interest in retaining. The team also has been in talks with forward Cleary; despite a subpar and injury-plagued season, the Wings will be good to the word they gave to Cleary last fall when he left behind money and terms with Philadelphia to sign for one year and $1.75 million with Detroit. At the time, there was a verbal agreement the Wings would take care of Cleary past 2013-14. The most likely scenario has Cleary agreeing to a two-way contract that would enable the Wings to put him in the minors if he does not succeed in challenging for a job at training camp."

WHY?! Just let go, Holland! Just let go!

I'm not really sure what's going on with Cleary here. Maybe he's good with the younger players or something. 15 points in 48 games last year and 8 points in 52 games this year doesn't exactly scream re-sign. Plus, he's injury prone and can't really be relied on at this point.

I am ok with a cheap 2 way contract. I think he would provide good leadership for the kids in the Griffins organization for sure.

Cleary has been a good Red Wing until last year. I agree with Nightfall that if he is signed to a cheapish 2 way contract it can't hurt anything and will at least provide the Griffins with a strong experienced Vet to help the kids along. When Cleary hangs them up he will be the next ex-player hired within the organization.

Whoa Whoa Whoa, don't everybody go blaming Holland here. Babs was the one who wanted him back. Babs was the reason he left money on the table in Philly. And Babs was the reason he got a commitment beyond last year from the Wings. If Holland had his say Dan Cleary would be entering the second year of his three year contract with the Flyers right now.

Guest DeGraa55

If he is signing a 2way contract I don't see why people have a problem. Wings are keeping their word and sending a vet wing leader to Grand Rapids to teach the kids the way of the wheel.

Do you REALLY think he will be in GR? Babcock is just as guilty as holland. Why even have him in the team at all??

He will start the year in the top six. My guess is with dat and z.

Whoa Whoa Whoa, don't everybody go blaming Holland here. Babs was the one who wanted him back. Babs was the reason he left money on the table in Philly. And Babs was the reason he got a commitment beyond last year from the Wings. If Holland had his say Dan Cleary would be entering the second year of his three year contract with the Flyers right now.

Yes, Holland is just as guilty too.

Do you REALLY think he will be in GR? Babcock is just as guilty as holland. Why even have him in the team at all??

He will start the year in the top six. My guess is with dat and z.

Considering that Babcock played him most of last year on the 4th line or as a healthy scratch, I think I would be little surprised if suddenly he played him in the top 6 with dats and Z on a 2-way contract. Although I don't I live in blind Holland hate land so what do I know?

Yes, Holland is just as guilty too.

Why for listening to "the bestest coach eva", and his team leadership, when they said that re-signing Cleary was an absolute must? If he hadn't done that and Cleary put up moderately good numbers in Philly everyone would blame him for NOT listening to Babs.

Without the coach's intervention, Cleary is a Flyer right now. It's as simple as that.

Considering that Babcock played him most of last year on the 4th line or as a healthy scratch, I think I would be little surprised if suddenly he played him in the top 6 with dats and Z on a 2-way contract. Although I don't I live in blind Holland hate land so what do I know?

This I agree with. He likely won't make the team and will retire rather than play in GR. It's just silly that it's even an issue right now. But I'll be amazed if he takes even a single shift as a Red Wing next season.

Do you have any source to back up any of these elaborate claims?

Do you really think Babcock could make Holland do something he absolutely didn't want to do, especially when it involves putting his team against the roster and cap limit?

I know you don't like Babcock and are eager to blame him for anything possible, but my memory from that time and the multiple sources I've found state that Babcock, the players, and yes Holland all wanted Cleary back.

That led to a meeting Wednesday with general manager Ken Holland and coach Mike Babcock at Traverse City's airport. Cleary returned home to metro Detroit to wait for an offer. He said Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren "was supportive" the whole time.

Holland and Babcock both wanted Cleary back; Holland offered both a two-year deal worth around $4.5 million and a three-year deal worth slightly under $6 million in June, but those offers were shelved after the team signed Daniel Alfredsson and Stephen Weiss.

Holland crunched new numbers, and agreed to take the Wings about $2.4 million over the salary cap, and put them at 17 NHL-tabbed forwards. Teams don't have to be compliant until Sept. 30, by which time Holland expects to have moved a forward or two. The most vulnerable is forward Jordin Tootoo, who might not fit into Babcock's plans.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/wings/2013/09/12/daniel-cleary-detroit-red-wings-return/2804183/

All parties involved have consistently expressed mutual interest in keeping Cleary a member of the Detroit franchise. However, salary cap complications had previously kept the sides from reaching a new agreement, in addition to the team's depth at forward.

All parties being Holland, Cleary and Babcock.
You can pretend this is all Babcock's fault but it ignores the fact that Holland offered Cleary a contract before he ever talked to Philly. Not to mention there was a lot of speculation the Philly deal fell through due to the handshake deal Philly made because they didn't have cap room at the time, not because that dastardly Babcock convinced Cleary to walk away from millions of dollars and Holland to go against his own wishes and sign Cleary.
As for this latest news, I don't want Cleary back on the team, but it's stated pretty clearly why the Red Wings are doing this. They're keeping their word.

seems I said this might happen in my rant about re-signing Monster in the Future Needs thread... Holland is so predictable. The entire world knows how the Wings need to get better and change, yet Holland still tries to sign his little "projects" and re-sign his vets that were worthless for at least two years...Holland needs to go. I am officially WAY off the Holland wagon....He is on the same list as Franzen now. This is going to be a fun year of losing and bitching about our useless GM and Vets.

Does anyone still believe Holland is a genius? If you do, you need to be checked out... Alfredsson, Monster and Cleary have ZERO business being in a Wings uniform EVER again.

seems I said this might happen in my rant about re-signing Monster in the Future Needs thread... Holland is so predictable. The entire world knows how the Wings need to get better and change, yet Holland still tries to sign his little "projects" and re-sign his vets that were worthless for at least two years...Holland needs to go. I am officially WAY off the Holland wagon....He is on the same list as Franzen now. This is going to be a fun year of losing and bitching about our useless GM and Vets.

Does anyone still believe Holland is a genius? If you do, you need to be checked out... Alfredsson, Monster and Cleary have ZERO business being in a Wings uniform EVER again.

Majsheppard 2.0

Apologies if this has been posted but this is ridiculous...

http://www.freep.com/article/20140617/SPORTS05/306170041/detroit-red-wings-jordin-tootoo-daniel-alfredsson-daniel-cleary

"Alfredsson and [/size]backup goaltender Jonas Gustavsson are among the few potential unrestricted free agents the Wings have interest in retaining. The team also has been in talks with forward Cleary; despite a subpar and injury-plagued season, the Wings will be good to the word they gave to Cleary last fall when he left behind money and terms with Philadelphia to sign for one year and $1.75 million with Detroit. At the time, there was a verbal agreement the Wings would take care of Cleary past 2013-14. The most likely scenario has Cleary agreeing to a two-way contract that would enable the Wings to put him in the minors if he does not succeed in challenging for a job at training camp."[/size]

WHY?! Just let go, Holland! Just let go![/size]

pretty sure he will be working in the front office Edited by PumpkinEscobar