• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

#21 number9

number9

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:31 AM

seems I said this might happen in my rant about re-signing Monster in the Future Needs thread... Holland is so predictable. The entire world knows how the Wings need to get better and change, yet Holland still tries to sign his little "projects" and re-sign his vets that were worthless for at least two years...Holland needs to go.  I am officially WAY off the Holland wagon....He is on the same list as Franzen now. This is going to be a fun year of losing and bitching about our useless GM and Vets.

Does anyone still believe Holland is a genius? If you do, you need to be checked out... Alfredsson, Monster and Cleary have ZERO business being in a Wings uniform EVER again.

Majsheppard 2.0

#22 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:38 AM

Are you kidding me? When will this rigamarole end? Probably with Holland...
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#23 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:47 AM

As long as its only a two way contract no problem, the Rapids lost some now full NHL players over the years so they could need some leadership and he brings that. But a one way contract would be hilarious.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#24 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:47 AM

Apologies if this has been posted but this is ridiculous...

http://www.freep.com...n-daniel-cleary

"Alfredsson and [/size]backup goaltender Jonas Gustavsson are among the few potential unrestricted free agents the Wings have interest in retaining. The team also has been in talks with forward Cleary; despite a subpar and injury-plagued season, the Wings will be good to the word they gave to Cleary last fall when he left behind money and terms with Philadelphia to sign for one year and $1.75 million with Detroit. At the time, there was a verbal agreement the Wings would take care of Cleary past 2013-14. The most likely scenario has Cleary agreeing to a two-way contract that would enable the Wings to put him in the minors if he does not succeed in challenging for a job at training camp."[/size]

WHY?! Just let go, Holland! Just let go![/size]

pretty sure he will be working in the front office

Edited by PumpkinEscobar, 17 June 2014 - 09:49 AM.

#25 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,261 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:48 AM

Danny has heart, but nothing else. Please move on and retire
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#26 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:51 AM

Verbal agreement? Clearly did not/cannot hold up his end of the deal. Agreement has been broken, so no dishonor done in not signing him.

#27 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,025 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:52 AM

I love Dano, always will. But the guy is toast and he has 50 year old knees. Waste of time, just move on.

#NOMOREKINDL

#28 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,651 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:19 AM

Hahahaha. And people called me crazy when I said 100% he would be brought back, probably to a multi year deal.

I also very much expect a multi year offer to be made to Bertuzzi, Legwand, maybe even Sammy.

This is Holland.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#29 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,874 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:20 AM

Verbal agreement? Clearly did not/cannot hold up his end of the deal. Agreement has been broken, so no dishonor done in not signing him.

I'm guessing Cleary's end of the deal was signing for less money than Holland offered him earlier, so he did hold up his end of the deal. 

Like I said, I don't want Cleary back on the Wings.  The guy is all heart but it would take a miraculous recovery for him to hold a spot on the team.  

#30 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:25 AM

Cleary may return....to newfyland?

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#31 number9

number9

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:30 AM

Hahahaha. And people called me crazy when I said 100% he would be brought back, probably to a multi year deal.
I also very much expect a multi year offer to be made to Bertuzzi, Legwand, maybe even Sammy.
This is Holland.

Multi year? No. Legwand maybe. And going to GR isn't going to the Wings.

#32 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

Whaddya mean I can't beat BOSTON?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:48 AM

Dear Ken Holland,

Thank you.

Edited by FireCaptain, 17 June 2014 - 10:59 AM.

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by Heineken and sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#33 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,569 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:51 AM

Do you have any source to back up any of these elaborate claims? 

Do you really think Babcock could make Holland do something he absolutely didn't want to do, especially when it involves putting his team against the roster and cap limit?

I know you don't like Babcock and are eager to blame him for anything possible, but my memory from that time and the multiple sources I've found state that Babcock, the players, and yes Holland all wanted Cleary back.

http://www.usatoday....return/2804183/

All parties being Holland, Cleary and Babcock.

You can pretend this is all Babcock's fault but it ignores the fact that Holland offered Cleary a contract before he ever talked to Philly. Not to mention there was a lot of speculation the Philly deal fell through due to the handshake deal Philly made because they didn't have cap room at the time, not because that dastardly Babcock convinced Cleary to walk away from millions of dollars and Holland to go against his own wishes and sign Cleary.

As for this latest news, I don't want Cleary back on the team, but it's stated pretty clearly why the Red Wings are doing this.  They're keeping their word.

I'm as eager to pretend things are "all Babs' fault" as you are to absolve him of any possible culpability.  Which is to say that both are gross over generalizations.  I don't hate Babcock, I just don't think he's beyond his share of the culpability when things go awry. 

Now, on to the way you addressed me.  You don't have to agree with anything I say.  I'm sure you're aware of that.  But in the future I'd appreciate you not insinuating I've made things up, or make condescending references to my "elaborate claims".  I'm not stupid, or a liar, and I resent being represented as such. 

As far as evidence for my "elaborate claims", I guess I'd start with all these...

"In Daniel Cleary's case, when he was brought back at the 11th hour last fall, at the urging of coach Mike Babcock, it was with the understanding the Wings would ameliorate Cleary having left a three-year deal on the table in Philadelphia."

http://www.freep.com...ngs-ken-holland

"Cleary was a surprise, because he had bad knees and better offers elsewhere. But coach Mike Babcock wanted him back. The team leaders wanted him back – from Howard to Zetterberg to Datsyuk. And he came back on a one-year deal worth $1.75 million"

https://sports.yahoo...-161232581.html

"At the 11th hour, coach Mike Babcock pushed for Cleary to return, resulting in a one-year contract with promise of future employment."

http://www.usatoday....t-list/8294157/

"Babcock had been pushing hard for Holland to re-sign Cleary, a versatile, hard-working heart-and-soul type of player who can play on any line and in any situation."

http://www.mlive.com...ed_his_hea.html

"Detroit Red Wings coach Mike Babcock has been a big supporter of Daniel Cleary since the forward earned a contract with the club following a training camp tryout in 2005.  Babcock pushed hard for the team to re-sign Cleary in the off-season."

http://www.mlive.com..._hopes_s_1.html

It's not too hard to see why I'd think Babcock was the primary motivator in bringing back Cleary when two of the Wings most prominent beat writers, as well as two reasonably well respected national outlets reported as much. 

Edited by kipwinger, 17 June 2014 - 11:32 AM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#34 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:18 AM

Just when I was applauding management for stocking the cupboards with some young FA's, this... jesus, Kenny and co.

Stop. Let Dan go. It's done.

#35 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:31 AM

Ultimately, I think this is going to be like a Draper/Maltby situation, an insurance policy in case one of the kids they're relying on blows it in camp.  There's barely room for Jurco on the team, especially if Alfie comes back, let alone a broken down Cleary plus you got Ferarro & Callahan out of options.  He either winds up in GR as a player/mentor or he'll take a job with the organization somewhere else.  

#36 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,006 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:38 AM

Maybe we're hot for Connor McDavid.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#37 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,874 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:47 AM

I'm as eager to pretend things are "all Babs' fault" as you are to absolve him of any possible culpability.  Which is to say that both are gross over generalizations.  I don't hate Babcock, I just don't think he's beyond his share of the culpability when things go awry. 

Now, on to the way you addressed me.  You don't have to agree with anything I say.  I'm sure you're aware of that.  But in the future I'd appreciate you not insinuating I've made things up, or make condescending references to my "elaborate claims".  I'm not stupid, or a liar, and I resent being represented as such. 

As far as evidence for my "elaborate claims", I guess I'd start with all these...

http://www.freep.com...ngs-ken-holland

https://sports.yahoo...-161232581.html

http://www.usatoday....t-list/8294157/

http://www.mlive.com...ed_his_hea.html

http://www.mlive.com..._hopes_s_1.html

It's not too hard to see why I'd think Babcock was the primary motivator in bringing back Cleary when two of the Wings most prominent beat writers, as well as two reasonably well respected national outlets reported as much. 

Yeah, I'm not going to sift through those links and try to divine which portion you think proves that "Babs was the reason he left money on the table in Philly" that "Babs was the reason he got a commitment beyond last year from the Wings" or "Without the coach's intervention, Cleary is a Flyer right now."

If you want to post the relevant excerpts, go for it. 

I'm in no way trying to absolve Babcock of any responsibility.  Even in links I posted, it's clear that Babcock wanted him here.  As did the players.  But between the players, coach, and GM, whose job is it to make the final decision on contracts?  

Holland's job is to make personnel decisions.  Especially ones where players and even a coach may have an attachment to a player that isn't in line with his market value or the longer term goals of the team.  That's a HUGE part of Holland's job, so it's not unreasonable to put a big helping of the blame for Cleary on him.  It's well established he and Babcock don't see eye to eye on a lot of personnel decisions.  If Babcock could convince Holland to sign anyone he wanted, I'm guessing the team would look significantly different.  Maybe not better, but different for sure. 

#38 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,962 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:47 AM

I read the thread title AND OVERREACTED GOD DAMMIT WHEN WILL THIS FARCE END FFS

But honestly I can live with a cheap two way contract. He could be great for the kids in GR and then ride off into the sunset to his front office job.

That being said, so help me god if he starts the season in the top six I will light a fricking turd on fire and throw it on the ice.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#39 Learn2LuvIt

Learn2LuvIt

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:50 AM

Three major problems I have with this:

1.  Kenny should have never made any commitment (verbal or otherwise) to Cleary beyond a one year deal after we had essentially let him go by not opting to match Philly on their offer.

2.  Cleary accepting a verbal offer is just foolish.  Serves him right IF the Wings don't honor this.  His agent must have been livid....ohh wait...this is the Wings....they're loyal to a fault!!

3.  It's almost certain that IF Kenny did commit to him verbally on this, that we will honor this.  It's just the way the Wings/Mr. I/Kenny are.  It's what has made us a desirable franchise/owner to play for in the past, so in this one instance, it's coming back to bite us.  "Live by the sword, die by the sword".

ENJOY THE RIDE

#40 Mors

Mors

The Red Death

• HoF Booster
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:05 PM

Holland needs a mental health evaluation...the absurb justifications they come up with for even TALKING to Cleary are ridiculous. There's no room for Legwand or Tootoo, but god forbid we lose those eight points that Cleary contributed.