• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

#101 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,289 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:30 PM

Can't wait for the "free Jurco!" movement to gain steam quickly when Cleary makes the team over Jurco in September. I don't even want to believe this is truly realistic, but after last season with Nyquist...

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#102 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:22 AM

Is this serious? What difference does it make if they made a verbal agreement to extend him braking it does not hurt us. He sucked last season which is putting it nicely, he does not deserve to be extended or be in the NHL with the way he is playing. Im sure his main concern was the money, which can be solved by giving him another job, but I honestly don't care if they do.

Get me a real fourth line Kenny!

#103 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:59 AM

It isn't hard to grasp, it is just hard to 100% believe - considering he beat out Nyquist last season when he had absolutely no business being on the team in the first place, it is not out of the realm of possibility to believe they might inexplicably give him a spot over some other youngster to start this season as well (Jurco, Mantha maybe). I think that's what is worrying most folks.

My other issue is, I don't even particularly want him taking up a spot on GR either. 

It's already been stated by management that jobs have been taken. Kids are in, vets are out. The contract being discussed is 2-way for a reason. If he earns a spot in the lineup which I, and I think we all doubt, then more power to him.

THEY HAVE SAID THIS FOREVER!! The only reason the kid movement happened at all was injuries...as long as old useless vets are here, I'm sure they'll play.
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#104 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:38 AM

Cleary's body gave out a few years ago, let him go.

Edited by kylee, 18 June 2014 - 09:38 AM.

#105 Wings3:16

Wings3:16

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:45 AM

Hey guys at least Ken Holland is making friends

Wings in 2013...Bring the Cup back to Hockeytown!

#106 Salviaman

Salviaman

Tool + Red Wings = Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:54 AM

Simply put..... NO!

Think for yourself. Question authority. Throughout human history as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are or where we are going in this ocean of chance, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself.

#107 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:23 AM

sx2xqCm.gif

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#108 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:26 AM

Put him on the scouting staff.  Then do us all a favor and send him to Siberia.  Please.

Posted Image

#109 plopster

plopster

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:33 AM

http://bleacherrepor...-embrace-future
mccarty3

#110 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:48 AM

3rlspc.jpg

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#111 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,990 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:55 AM

2 years, 6M. Get 'er done Kenny!!!!!

Hopefully Holland's too busy working on the Cleary fine print to actually go out and address the teams need to become more than a retirement home. That would be awesome,,,,,,

FML

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#112 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:57 AM

If we trade some forwards to acquire a d-man I guess I could see us having room for Cleary on a two-way contract. I would absolutely hate it, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. If they had a gentleman's agreement I think Holland should try his best to honor that. But priority #1 is improving the team and if Holland/Babcock really think Danny has anything left to offer in that regard they're smoking some good stuff. 

#113 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,521 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:37 AM

We shouldn't have to make room for Cleary. We've got so many kids ready to make the jump, and any of the UFA players are better than Cleary at this point, too.  He just doesn't belong on this team or in Grand Rapids. 

Remember, Babcock took MONTHS to bench Cleary, even after it was clear Cleary couldn't play anymore.  Other players would get demoted for having a bad shift or a turnover.  Then, the second half of the season he was injured.  Guarantee with a summer under his belt Babcock will play him on the Wings to see if he healed up over the summer.  And, you know, a tie goes in favor of the vet. 

This just doesn't make any sense at all.  On this issue I'm completely with the Holland bashers because none of the arguments in favor of this signing make any real sense.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#114 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:42 AM

Come on you guys... Emmerton and Tootoo are gone. Good chance that Grant and Evans are probably gone from GR, too. We need some vets down there. Leadership. Hoo-rah.

'Cause that's where Dan-o's going. GR, right? Right?

#115 Wings10

Wings10

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:53 AM

Seriously Holland??? Alfie and Cleary again..ffs

#116 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,947 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:58 AM

As someone pointed out, this is basically the same deal the Wings made with Maltby.

Holland gave Maltby a two-way contract and he went to camp, but even then it was clear with all the forwards they had that Maltby had little chance of making the Wings roster. He apparently had a good camp, but still not good enough to take someone else's job. Rather than head to the AHL, he retired.

It's a little nerve racking because of Holland signing him last season, but I really do think this is Holland just keeping his word to a heart and soul Red Wings player.

#117 GoWings!

GoWings!

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:04 PM

Obviously mind boggling because no one on these forums could possibly want this guy to ever wear a Wings jersey ever again but let's just wait til July 1st before we give up on 2014-2015.

#118 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,464 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:37 PM

I liked the 2008 Cleary... a lot.  Heart and soul guy, but now he can't stay healthy.  I would rather have kept Tootoo, honestly.  Sigh...

http://kuklaskorner....medium=facebook

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#119 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 01:08 PM

Come on you guys... Emmerton and Tootoo are gone. Good chance that Grant and Evans are probably gone from GR, too. We need some vets down there. Leadership. Hoo-rah.

'Cause that's where Dan-o's going. GR, right? Right?

Doubt it. Both guys wear the A and are hugely respected in the GR organisation, especially Evans. There's no room for the Cleary donkey in the Grand Rapids inn. He will bring nothing to the team that it doesn't already have and with the veteran rotation Blashill would just bench him for most games and it would be plain sad.

Cleary was one of my favourite players back in like 2008. You watch clips of him from those years and it's like a completely different player.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#120 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:21 PM

This move only makes sense if Holland is doing it to troll Wings fans.

It feels like he actually reads this board and wonders what he could do to piss people off the most.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.