• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

#141 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:31 PM

I think this will be like the maltby deal. I can't see him wanting to play in the ahl. And if he does play on the wings then it will be because he earned it. Maybe he busts his ass in the offseason and gets in beast mode for one last hoorah. Or maybe his body can't do what his mind wants to and he realizes it and hangs em up. His knees are pretty much shot.

This will be exactly like the Maltby situation... which was an embarrassing for the organization and the player.  I don't think Cleary sees himself as anything but a viable NHLer and he'll be pissed if/when they try to send him down.  Remember him bitching about being a healthy scratch?

#142 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:21 AM

This will be exactly like the Maltby situation... which was an embarrassing for the organization and the player.  I don't think Cleary sees himself as anything but a viable NHLer and he'll be pissed if/when they try to send him down.  Remember him bitching about being a healthy scratch?

In that case he won't sign a two way contract will he, and end up just leaving. Andd all this will have been for nothing! 

temp 1

#143 hathorlive

hathorlive

Jr. Prospect

• 17 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:08 AM

At the season ticket holder fan event last year, during the autograph signings, my friend told Cleary that it was strange not seeing him in the number 11 jersey.  He proceeded to ***** about that for 3 entire minutes, in front of fans and 2 of his team mates.  I was tempted to say that if he'd not played games with the contract, he might still be number 11.  My friend ushered me away as quickly as possible.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Mr. Cleary has a healthy ego and probably doesn't see GR as an option.

#144 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:51 AM

I get that the Wings want to treat their veteran players a certain way, but at some point, they have to put the needs of the team first.  The re-signed him last year, knowing they had no cap or roster space.  It hurt the team and other players.  It turned out exactly how we all thought it would.  So he has another unproductive, injury plagued year and it's like hey, lets give him a contract?  It's mind boggling.  This isn't a team lacking leadership or a veteran presence.  Give him a figure head scouting job or off ice position, I don't care.  But any talk of a contract of any kind is complete insanity.  He was a semi decent player for a few years.  This isn't Steve Yzerman or Nick Lidstrom we're talking about.  The Wings owe him nothing. 

#145 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:51 AM

I get that the Wings want to treat their veteran players a certain way, but at some point, they have to put the needs of the team first.  The re-signed him last year, knowing they had no cap or roster space.  It hurt the team and other players.  It turned out exactly how we all thought it would.  So he has another unproductive, injury plagued year and it's like hey, lets give him a contract?  It's mind boggling.  This isn't a team lacking leadership or a veteran presence.  Give him a figure head scouting job or off ice position, I don't care.  But any talk of a contract of any kind is complete insanity.  He was a semi decent player for a few years.  This isn't Steve Yzerman or Nick Lidstrom we're talking about.  The Wings owe him nothing. 

Ditto. If loyalty is what is so important, how about Cleary return some of the 1.5 million he flat out stole from the team last year? he didn't earn a damn dime of it on the ice. How about saying sorry to the fans for being greedy and taking a roster spot away from Nyquist, even though Nyquist is clearly the better player?

Now this isn't  a Cleary thing. Many athletes have a hard time knowing when things are done. Happens in all sports. But the GM/team should know better.

#146 cr00d

cr00d

old school

• PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:23 PM

Ken Holland: Hello Daniel, I am calling to personally thank you for your many years of great service. You have been an integral part of the Detroit Red Wings since you signed on with us. However, despite earlier promises, I must regretfully inform you that we will not be offering you a contract for the upcoming season.

Daniel Cleary: Wow, Kenny… I mean… where did this come from?!? I've devoted the last ten years of my life to the Detroit Red Wings. I left money and term on the table last year in Philly so I could play here with the promise of another contract to come...

KH: I know Daniel, and we thank you for that, but based on you performance last year, and how well our prospects played filling in for you and other while the injury bug hit, we feel this is the direction we need to take as a franchise.

DC: C’mon man, you know I only played poorly last year because I was injured. There’s still plenty left in the ol’ gas tank. I know I can get back to my old form, and deep down inside, you know it too Kenny!

KH: That may be the case, Daniel. However we are simply not in a position where we can afford to bring you back on. I’m sorry.

DC: Wow!, what happened to you, man? You use to be cool.

KH: What?!? I’m still cool, Daniel.

DC: No, you’re not. You've changed man, and not for the better. Loyalty use to mean something to you. I guess it doesn't anymore.

KH: Loyalty is very important to me.

DC: Whatever, man. You’re all talk. Take your lies and broken promises elsewhere. Talk to you later…

KH: Wait! Don’t hang up! Let me see what I can do, Daniel. I’ll prove to you that I’m still cool. I’ll call your agent and see if we can’t work something out right away; perhaps a two-way contract?

DC: Two-way contracts aren't cool, man.

KH: You’re right, you’re right… I knew that. Definitely not cool. I can do better... just let me talk to your agent, ok? We’ll work something out, don’t worry Daniel.

DC: Cool, man. I’ll see you when camp opens. Ciao.

KH: Yeah, yeah… Ciao!

#147 plopster

plopster

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:34 PM

Haha. Pretty funny. Prolly closer to the truth than anyone will admit.
mccarty3

#148 wingfan1991

wingfan1991

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:45 PM

Hopefully Holland reads that lol I'm sure it's pretty accurate convo

#149 themcityblues

themcityblues

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:07 PM

So like, what kind of numbers would Danny Boy have to put up to make people be happy he resigned?

#150 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:28 PM

So like, what kind of numbers would Danny Boy have to put up to make people be happy he resigned?

45 points and be a plus player....and he will need to do my taxes next spring.

#151 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,631 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:27 PM

0 games played.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#152 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:43 AM

Sequels never live up to the original
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#153 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:25 AM

Sequels never live up to the original

The Godfather II

#154 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,128 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:52 AM

The Godfather II

I counter that argument with the godfather part III

#155 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:59 AM

I counter that argument with the godfather part III

LOL... you got me there

#156 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:58 PM

The Godfather II

Touché.... But in this case with Danny, you know
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#157 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:59 PM

Terminator 2 as well.  WAY better than the original. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#158 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,061 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:25 PM

Terminator 2 as well.  WAY better than the original. 

Except for that annoying kid from Detroit Rock City (the movie)

#159 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:32 PM

Except for that annoying kid from Detroit Rock City (the movie)

I had a mad crush on him when T2 came out. Dan Cleary wishes he was that adorable.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

Just look at how he hangs his sunglasses from his banana hammock in that last pic.  This guyf****** rules. --kipwinger

#160 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:44 AM

Cleary 2 will be worse than Slap Shot 2.