• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#21 Rhah

Rhah

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:27 AM

He's putting up the same numbers he did in 2008, why in the world would we buy him out now?

The points are the same but I'd argue that 27 and 11 are a far cry from 16 and 25. We need him putting the puck in the net more, not trying to be fancy.

#22 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:34 AM

The points are the same but I'd argue that 27 and 11 are a far cry from 16 and 25. We need him putting the puck in the net more, not trying to be fancy.

Sure, but I wouldn't call it a FAR cry. And regardless it still doesn't make sense to buy out his contract when he'd likely get even more per year from another team.

#23 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:36 PM

07-08 GP: 72

13-14 GP: 54

He actually had more PPG, but yes more of those were goals in 08.

If he's healthy, plays a full season, hopefully he scores his usual 27-30 goals this year. History says he will.

#24 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,897 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:47 PM

At least the team will finally be rid of the bad signings from a couple summers ago. 

Assuming Weiss is healthy and productive, Kindl's is really the only contract that isn't great.  (And Mule's but that's been beat to death and he's at least productive). 

#25 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,215 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:17 PM

He's putting up the same numbers he did in 2008, why in the world would we buy him out now?

Because he doesn't score 5 goals a game like he did that one time. Therefore he is lazy and he sucks and he is overpaid.

Posted Image

#26 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:45 PM

Because he doesn't score 5 goals a game like he did that one time. Therefore he is lazy and he sucks and he is overpaid.

He's not lazy, he just never grew out of his prepubescent social anxiety and fear of scoring goals. He purposely misses so he can play on the super fun 4th line with cool guys like Cleary.

#27 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:20 PM

Hopefully Tootoo can stick around the NHL. I still don't understand the point of signing him to the contract that we did, only to scratch him and send him to Grand Rapids.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#28 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,891 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:34 PM

I like Tootoo.  I hope he finds a place somewhere.  Wherever it is, I'll become a fan.  Or at least a follower.  Because, you know, if it was like the Ducks or something, that would be just gross.

Fare thee well, old friend.

I really don't see the argument that they have to use the buyout on Toots or they'll lose the buyout.  I can see them buying him out to get him off the roster and have his (relatively small) pay available for someone else.  I just hope that Someone Else is willing to stand up and fight.

#29 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,237 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:02 PM

Or ever in the past four years of the playoffs.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#30 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:25 PM

The reason they are buying out Tootoo isn't for any type of savings.

Its a good will gesture from Holland to Tootoo so he can attempt to continue his NHL career.

He wasn't going to get a shot under Babcock, and they couldn't trade him so now he has a chance to sign with someone at a cheaper rate where he might get a chance to play.

Holland did the same thing with Commodore when Babcock refused to play him.

#31 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:28 AM

No trade coming, per St. James and Khan, he's being put on waivers for the purpose of a buyout.

#NOMOREKINDL

#32 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:34 AM

It was already common news they were going to buy him out.  The only way a GM would actually trade for Tootoo was if he was part of a bigger package and he was just an add-on as a favor, like Eaves was in the Legwand trade.  I always wonder why they announce this sort of stuff weeks in advance, which kills any sort of leverage Holland might've had to trade him for a pick or something.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#33 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:41 AM

Tootoo put on buyout waivers Per Mackenzie.

Edited by Datsyukian-Deke, 18 June 2014 - 11:41 AM.

#34 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,897 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:47 AM

Source:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie  38m
DET puts Jordin Tootoo on buyout waivers.

Tootoo seems like a good guy but I never understood this signing. Overpayment (especially given the term) for his type of player, and he never got utilized anyway. It's like Babcock and Holland never had a conversation about Tootoo or something. Because his playing style didn't change from the Predators to Detroit. They knew what they were getting and Babcock didn't want it.

#35 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,932 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:50 PM

Tootoo can't play in the NHL. Franzen will score 20+ goals.... Which one to buy out? Head scratcher

#36 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:55 PM

Tootoo can't play in the NHL. Franzen will score 20+ goals.... Which one to buy out? Head scratcher

Tootoo will show up to play in every game he is in, Franzen will show up to 20 and none will be playoff games hmm head scratcher.

#37 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:59 PM

Tootoo will show up to play in every game he is in, Franzen will show up to 20 and none will be playoff games hmm head scratcher.

Tootoo will show up to every game and entertain the fans but suck, Franzen will show up to 40 and score 2 goals in each, hmmm head scratcher

EDIT: obvi won't score 80 goals...

Edited by number9, 18 June 2014 - 01:04 PM.

#38 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,932 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 01:04 PM

Ahh the old showing up to play homage that LGW bestows on players that apparently Babcock hasn't noticed. We're a much worse team without Franzen. I don't get why every player gets a pass on last season when comparing stats (datsyuk, zetterberg) because of our miserable injury plagued season except for Franzen. You don't buy out legitimate top 6 players that have good contracts.

LGW: "we need two more top 6 players. Let's buy out Franzen and just buy 3 more. It's been really easy to acquire talent lately"

#39 derblaueClaus

derblaueClaus

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 01:17 PM

Ahh the old showing up to play homage that LGW bestows on players that apparently Babcock hasn't noticed. We're a much worse team without Franzen. I don't get why every player gets a pass on last season when comparing stats (datsyuk, zetterberg) because of our miserable injury plagued season except for Franzen. You don't buy out legitimate top 6 players that have good contracts.

LGW: "we need two more top 6 players. Let's buy out Franzen and just buy 3 more. It's been really easy to acquire talent lately"

This. It's not that 20-30 goalscorers grow on trees these days.

The buyout on Tootoo was expected, so nothing new to discuss there. I think the signing of Tootoo was an experiment by Babcock and Holland. Maybe as a substitute to Homer.  It turned out it didn't work and he doesn't fit in here. But I'll surely miss the little cannonball. 

"I'd have my **** out if I scored four goals. Id have my **** out, stroking it." - "Jumbo" Joe Thornton

Monsterblue.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#40 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 01:24 PM

This. It's not that 20-30 goalscorers grow on trees these days.

The buyout on Tootoo was expected, so nothing new to discuss there. I think the signing of Tootoo was an experiment by Babcock and Holland. Maybe as a substitute to Homer.  It turned out it didn't work and he doesn't fit in here. But I'll surely miss the little cannonball. 

I'd miss him too, but I can't remember any of the 11 games he played in last year.