• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#41 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,017 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 01:28 PM

I'd miss him too, but I can't remember any of the 11 games he played in last year.

Think back to the ones with the lame staged fights. 

#42 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 04:27 PM

I think we need a high energy 4th liner though. We have a lot of bottom sixers with young guys getting chances so maybe we can upgrade there.

Helm and Abdelkader are the only bottom sixers I wouldn't trade

Top six players won't get moved unless another top six player or top 4 defender comes back

#43 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:02 PM

Helm has become tradeable with the emergence of Sheahan and Glendening...

If Helm was needed in a package to acquire that top line scorer or a top tier defender...he would be gone yesterday.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#44 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:24 PM

Abdelkader will be such a good role player once we get a real top 6 with some size. He's filling a need right now. I think a lot of teams would be interested in him though

#45 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:45 PM

So....its done? Tootoo has officially been the second buyout? I am not liking this offseason thus far...Tootoo's contract would have been minimal to the cap, could've bought out Kindl or Franzen, even though I know the Franzen would have never happened.  So, now nobody will want Kindl, we will be stuck with him, Franzen will continue to suffer from his head problems and we will re-sign Cleary, Alfie and Monster... Book your tee times...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#46 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:05 PM

Kindl wasn't getting bought out either.  Tootoo was sitting in the minors, eating up almost $1 mil in cap space for nothing.  Kindl at least has a chance to contribute.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#47 Wheelchairsuperhero

Wheelchairsuperhero

Wizard

• PipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:10 PM

So....its done? Tootoo has officially been the second buyout? I am not liking this offseason thus far...Tootoo's contract would have been minimal to the cap, could've bought out Kindl or Franzen, even though I know the Franzen would have never happened.  So, now nobody will want Kindl, we will be stuck with him, Franzen will continue to suffer from his head problems and we will re-sign Cleary, Alfie and Monster... Book your tee times...

Wasn't Kindl's contract signed after the lockout, making him ineligible for a compliance buyout?

#48 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:43 PM

Wasn't Kindl's contract signed after the lockout, making him ineligible for a compliance buyout?

I believe so. That is also the reason Weiss couldn't be bought out. He probably would have been the guy axed if he were signed prior.

Edited by Datsyukian-Deke, 18 June 2014 - 11:44 PM.

#49 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,586 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:58 AM

As much as I would love to get rid of the head case mule, at the end of the season its hard to argue his numbers. He always seems to limp into the top in scoring and such. I think people are forgetting about Weiss, unless I'm missing something that wont allow him to be bought out, he is the perfect candidate for the buyout in my mind. 

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 19 June 2014 - 08:59 AM.
remove quoted deleted post

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#50 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:19 AM

Weiss can't be bought out because the deal was sadly signed after the new CBS otherwise perfect candidate.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#51 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:00 AM

The signing of Tootoo and the result of buying him out is just a further indication that Babcock and Holland do not agree on the direction of the team. I would be really surprised at this point if Babcock resigns as coach after his contract expires this year unless Holland gets off his ass and makes this team a winner once again.

#52 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,466 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:13 AM

The signing of Tootoo and the result of buying him out is just a further indication that Babcock and Holland do not agree on the direction of the team. I would be really surprised at this point if Babcock resigns as coach after his contract expires this year unless Holland gets off his ass and makes this team a winner once again.

My mom and I must hate each other, you should see the sweater she bought me at Christmas. It was awful.

#53 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:32 AM

When Tootoo was signed Babcock was quoted as asking for a right handed shot, that provides both speed and sandpaper.

Holland got him Tootoo who provided all 3. Unfortunately for all involved his lack of PK ability, his tendency to get way out of position going for the big hit and his struggles to play within the Wings system quickly took him out of the coaches good graces.

I don't think the divide between Holland and Babcock is any bigger than any other coach GM relationship. He gets his say on every roster decision the team makes, which is more than can be said for a lot of coaches out there.

#54 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,671 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:41 AM

When Tootoo was signed Babcock was quoted as asking for a right handed shot, that provides both speed and sandpaper.

Holland got him Tootoo who provided all 3. Unfortunately for all involved his lack of PK ability, his tendency to get way out of position going for the big hit and his struggles to play within the Wings system quickly took him out of the coaches good graces.

I don't think the divide between Holland and Babcock is any bigger than any other coach GM relationship. He gets his say on every roster decision the team makes, which is more than can be said for a lot of coaches out there.

What I find frustrating is what were Babcock/Holland expecting when Tootoo was signed?

It's not like Toots was some 30 plus goal scorer lurking in the shadow, and all he needed was a chance with a 'better' club.

Oh well - hopefully he'll sign back with the Preds, or somewhere else in which he'll play on a reg basis.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#55 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:07 AM

I think teams should have to pay 100 % of a players contract if they decide to buy them out, it doesn't count against the cap and the players would have a little more security.

Also the Tootoo situation is a bad one, I've always been against this signing saying that I'm really wondering what Holland and Babcock expected out of this guy ? If you bring in someone like Tootoo you should expect energy, a scrap here and there and some decent low ice time minutes nothing more. Hopefully he can sign somewhere else and retool his career there.

I'm really starting to think that this front office has a false idea of what a fourth line should and shouldn't be.

Nothing but the best of luck for him.

kftx.jpg

#56 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:17 AM

I think teams should have to pay 100 % of a players contract if they decide to buy them out, it doesn't count against the cap and the players would have a little more security.

Also the Tootoo situation is a bad one, I've always been against this signing saying that I'm really wondering what Holland and Babcock expected out of this guy ? If you bring in someone like Tootoo you should expect energy, a scrap here and there and some decent low ice time minutes nothing more. Hopefully he can sign somewhere else and retool his career there.

I'm really starting to think that this front office has a false idea of what a fourth line should and shouldn't be.

Nothing but the best of luck for him.

Umm they do? Like lecavlier will be getting paid by the lighting for next like 14 years?

Instead of say 1.8m for tootoo 1 year it's now .9 for two years but no cap hit.

#57 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,466 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:21 AM

Actually it's 2/3 of the contract value. Tootoo will get 1.3 million over 2 years.

#58 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,017 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:29 AM

Actually it's 2/3 of the contract value. Tootoo will get 1.3 million over 2 years.

And if they're younger than 26, they only get 1/3 of the contract value.  At least according to capgeek.

http://capgeek.com/f...do-buyouts-work

It's something that I don't remember being talked about that much when the lockout ended, but is a pretty big deal.  Players contracts are no longer 100% guaranteed.   If bought out they get paid at most two-thirds the value and over twice the length of time of the contract.   So it's less money spread over a longer term. 

#59 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:39 AM

And if they're younger than 26, they only get 1/3 of the contract value.  At least according to capgeek.

http://capgeek.com/f...do-buyouts-work

It's something that I don't remember being talked about that much when the lockout ended, but is a pretty big deal.  Players contracts are no longer 100% guaranteed.   If bought out they get paid at most two-thirds the value and over twice the length of time of the contract.   So it's less money spread over a longer term. 

Still can't believe the PA agreed to that

kftx.jpg

#60 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:59 AM

As much as I would love to get rid of the head case mule, at the end of the season its hard to argue his numbers. He always seems to limp into the top in scoring and such. I think people are forgetting about Weiss, unless I'm missing something that wont allow him to be bought out, he is the perfect candidate for the buyout in my mind. 

Well technically Weiss could be bought out, but part of his salary would still count against the cap.  He's not eligible for a compliance buyout but the Wings could use a regular course buyout on him if they wanted to.  Might as well give him (hopefully) a healthy year to see what he can do before even thinking about that recourse though.