• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Detroit re-signs Gustavsson 1 yr $1.85 mill

Rate this topic

Anyhow, I am NOT on the Monster bandwagon and think that his injuries will hurt this team more than help...plus he couldn't stop a shootout attempt to save his life...so it seemed more times than not.

Were there not at least one or two games where Gustavsson gave us more than a chance to win in the shootout. I'm thinking specifically of a game against Tampa when he stopped 6 out of 7 or 7 out of 8, but our forwards couldn't score a single goal (http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=400484719).

I think certain people are also forgetting how he played in the playoffs when he was called on at the last minute - he played well enough that you weren't worried when he was put back in the next game. Other back-ups buckled in the same scenario (Tampa, Montreal, before they called up Tokarski).

Were there not at least one or two games where Gustavsson gave us more than a chance to win in the shootout. I'm thinking specifically of a game against Tampa when he stopped 6 out of 7 or 7 out of 8, but our forwards couldn't score a single goal (http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=400484719).

I think certain people are also forgetting how he played in the playoffs when he was called on at the last minute - he played well enough that you weren't worried when he was put back in the next game. Other back-ups buckled in the same scenario (Tampa, Montreal, before they called up Tokarski).

Gus was a great back up this year. anyone who says otherwise is leftwinger

Depending on the price, I'd like to have him back as the backup. He did pretty much exactly what you need from your backup. Yes, he got hurt, but when he's healthy, he's about as effective as a backup can be. Although the price has t be right. I already think we're spending too much on goaltending as it is. When we made it to the Conference Finals three years in a row (Finals two years in a row) we had Hasek and Osgood, both were making under or around $1 mil and we were putting that extra cap space towards the rest of the team.

I don't get why the same people that are saying that we shouldn't bring Gustavsson back because he is too injury prone are the same people that are saying we shouldn't sign a backup and just promote Mrazek... If Gus is going to be injured as often as some of you claim, wouldn't it be the same as promoting Mrazek, I mean, he would still get the same amount of games as if we didn't resign Gus right?... So you get the same result without handing the kid the job. In saying all that, I still think Gus is a very capable backup and will push Howard and start 20-25 games, at around 0.550-0.600 win percentage. I think the best option is to sign a capable backup (Gustavsson), while Mrazek gets 50-60 games in Grand Rapids and maybe 10 or so in Detroit, and promote him in 2015-16, when he has another year of pro under his belt. What does Mrazek sitting for 70% or more in the NHL do for his game? Not much in my opinion.

Edited by krsmith17

It's not that he doesn't play decent, it's he's always hurt. How is he going to push Howard of he's out with a pulled groin or whatever injury he's going to have this season. Trust me I love Monster.

Because with Gus injured, we can call up Mrazek, and he'll run Howie out of town and steal the starting job…..

Because with Gus injured, we can call up Mrazek, and he'll run Howie out of town and steal the starting job…..

hahahahah You really think that would EVER happen? Howard is part of the "good ol boy" club. We will never see him lose the starting job. We have put too much money in him for him not to play. He is suffering the Verlander syndrome.

hahahahah You really think that would EVER happen? Howard is part of the "good ol boy" club. We will never see him lose the starting job. We have put too much money in him for him not to play. He is suffering the Verlander syndrome.

I don't know, I reckon in 2 years it might happen and then we'll shop Howard. Don't get me wrong, I like Jimmy alot, but if he doesn't show this season why he earned that big contract in the first place I don't see him being able to withstand Mrazek. Kid is going to be good. They'd be too stupid not to make Petr the starter if he performs as well as he can.

Calling up Mrazek when Gus is hurt just lets him sit. He doesn't get to play. If he split games with Jimmy (not evenly of course) he'd get more NHL experience. Again, imho, he's nothing more to prove in the AHL.

Says who? He played 9 while he was called up this season. He'll play the majority of the games down in Grand Rapids (as he should), and if need be he'll come up and play a few in a Wings uniform. I don't know where this whole, "he's got nothing more to prove in the AHL" thing came about. He stole McCollum's job in his first year - while he was supposed to be the full-time starter this season, McCollum played the brunt of the games.

I truly believe that Petr needs a full season of 45-50 games as the Griffins starter, maintaining his numbers over that time. He shows great spurts of talent, but if I had to knock one thing about Mrazek it's his lack of consistency. He'll get a shutout one game, let in 4-5 the next. I'd like to see him get into a nice rhythm, personally.

Gus was a great back up this year. anyone who says otherwise is leftwinger

He was great in the first half of the season sure. Even then he was on IR after every other start. I think it is dumb to sign Gus when Mrazek has nothing left to prove in the AHL.

The hype for Mrazek is funny the guy hasn't done anything worthwhile at the NHL level and yet people are already making him the next starter. Reminds a lot on a certain guy named Jacob Markström.

In 11 games in the nhl, he has a 1.8 gaa and a .926 sv%

And obviously he has been great in the ahl also

The hype for Mrazek is funny the guy hasn't done anything worthwhile at the NHL level and yet people are already making him the next starter. Reminds a lot on a certain guy named Jacob Markström.

In 11 games in the nhl, he has a 1.8 gaa and a .926 sv%

And obviously he has been great in the ahl also

There are a lot of guys who have done well over such a small period of time but I think you really need to see a bigger picture like 30 games for two seasons to really get a better evaluation

I think for me, the thing about Mrazek that has me so high on him, is that he's absolutely excelled at every level. He barged his way into the GR and seized the number 1 job there and has been awesome for 2 seasons. He was terrific in the World Juniors (Goalie of the tournament I believe), and every time he's got the call to the Wings, he's played great too. Everytime you hear anyone talk about him, they also mention how determined, competitive he is and how he wants to be the best guy on the ice every night.

That kind of attitude combined with the skill he has shown so far, as we all know, separates the good from the great. Obviously he may never put it all together on a consistent basis, or he may win multiple Vezinas. We're going to find out though for sure.

So he's achieved as much as you'd hope he could, in the opportunities he's been given. What more do you want from him?

I don't want more from him, I'm just keeping my expectations realistic and like others said at some point we are going to see whats the deal with him. But I don't expect him to come in and keep up this ridiculous 1,8 GAA.

Same with some other young players I fully expect some of them to have a tougher year 2 it's part of the development so no worries here.

Ugh.

Waste of about $750k in cap space in my opinion...

There are going to be much better (and much less injured) backup goalies available on July 1st that would have likely cost much less than Gustavsson's $1.5M cap hit...

I don't get the draw to this guy... In his two years since joining the Red Wings, he's had ONE good stretch of play, which was from October to December this past season. Every other time, he's either injured or play mediocre to not so good.

I would've rather had Greiss or Montoya, who would've been cheap and durable for one year. Both also had way better numbers this past season.