• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#21 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:00 AM

I'm happy to see him sign on for a few more years.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#22 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,235 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 01:34 PM

Nice video on Petr

#23 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,624 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 04:08 PM

I'd rather have Legace back than re-sign "The Groin" Monster....guarantee he does not make it out of pre-season.  He will be on IR come game 1 of the season.  Bet on it!  Speaking of Vegas, I cannot believe the odds right now of Detroit winning the East is 8/1, third behind Boston and Pittsburgh.  Wonder what the odds would be if they signed Brodeur over Monster or actually made a trade to acquire Kesler or Spezza...and signed some actual GOOD players instead of useless, washed up verbal agreement, idiotic players...or imagine if they actually bought out Franzen as well!?!?

Anyhow, I am NOT on the Monster bandwagon and think that his injuries will hurt this team more than help...plus he couldn't stop a shootout attempt to save his life...so it seemed more times than not.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#24 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 04:19 PM

I'd rather have Legace back than re-sign "The Groin" Monster....guarantee he does not make it out of pre-season.  He will be on IR come game 1 of the season.  Bet on it!  Speaking of Vegas, I cannot believe the odds right now of Detroit winning the East is 8/1, third behind Boston and Pittsburgh.  Wonder what the odds would be if they signed Brodeur over Monster or actually made a trade to acquire Kesler or Spezza...and signed some actual GOOD players instead of useless, washed up verbal agreement, idiotic players...or imagine if they actually bought out Franzen as well!?!?

Anyhow, I am NOT on the Monster bandwagon and think that his injuries will hurt this team more than help...plus he couldn't stop a shootout attempt to save his life...so it seemed more times than not.

You don't want any washed up players yet you are pining for Manny Legace and Martin Brodeur over a goalie that a large portion of the fanbase thought should be starting over Howard last season?

Perhaps our odds are increased because kids have finally taken the jobs of veterans and because our remaining kids are ranked as the 2nd best group of prospects in the league?

Gustavsson is just fine as a back-up goalie and the only option out there better is Vokoun who would likely want a long term deal relegating Mrazek to the AHL for a lot longer than he will be now. As long as Gus or anyone else they sign gets only a 1 year deal to be the back-up its great for the Wings future.

#25 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 04:25 PM

I'd rather have Legace back than re-sign "The Groin" Monster....guarantee he does not make it out of pre-season.

What's Norm Maracle doing these days?

#26 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:00 AM

What's Norm Maracle doing these days?

Coaching goalies in Quebec.

#27 KGW

KGW

Draftee

• 6 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 03:10 AM

Were there not at least one or two games where Gustavsson gave us more than a chance to win in the shootout. I'm thinking specifically of a game against Tampa when he stopped 6 out of 7 or 7 out of 8, but our forwards couldn't score a single goal (http://scores.espn.g...ameId=400484719).

I think certain people are also forgetting how he played in the playoffs when he was called on at the last minute - he played well enough that you weren't worried when he was put back in the next game. Other back-ups buckled in the same scenario (Tampa, Montreal, before they called up Tokarski).

#28 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 03:21 AM

Were there not at least one or two games where Gustavsson gave us more than a chance to win in the shootout. I'm thinking specifically of a game against Tampa when he stopped 6 out of 7 or 7 out of 8, but our forwards couldn't score a single goal (http://scores.espn.g...ameId=400484719).

I think certain people are also forgetting how he played in the playoffs when he was called on at the last minute - he played well enough that you weren't worried when he was put back in the next game. Other back-ups buckled in the same scenario (Tampa, Montreal, before they called up Tokarski).

Gus was a great back up this year. anyone who says otherwise is leftwinger

#29 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,902 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:19 AM

I think Holland might also want to re-sign him in order to push Howard to be better. Without the monster this team doesn't make the playoffs so having two capable goalies is not the worst thing in the world.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#30 KGW

KGW

Draftee

• 6 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:57 AM

Oh and here's a game against the Hawks where Gustavsson won in the shootout:

http://scores.espn.g...ameId=400485000

I think he was actually very good in shootouts most of the time.

Edited by KGW, 19 June 2014 - 04:57 AM.

#31 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,235 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:54 AM

It's not that he doesn't play decent, it's he's always hurt.  How is he going to push Howard of he's out with a pulled groin or whatever injury he's going to have this season.  Trust me I love Monster.

#32 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:43 AM

Depending on the price, I'd like to have him back as the backup.  He did pretty much exactly what you need from your backup.  Yes, he got hurt, but when he's healthy, he's about as effective as a backup can be.  Although the price has t be right.  I already think we're spending too much on goaltending as it is.  When we made it to the Conference Finals three years in a row (Finals two years in a row) we had Hasek and Osgood, both were making under or around $1 mil and we were putting that extra cap space towards the rest of the team.

#33 krsmith17

krsmith17

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:22 AM

I don't get why the same people that are saying that we shouldn't bring Gustavsson back because he is too injury prone are the same people that are saying we shouldn't sign a backup and just promote Mrazek... If Gus is going to be injured as often as some of you claim, wouldn't it be the same as promoting Mrazek, I mean, he would still get the same amount of games as if we didn't resign Gus right?... So you get the same result without handing the kid the job. In saying all that, I still think Gus is a very capable backup and will push Howard and start 20-25 games, at around 0.550-0.600 win percentage. I think the best option is to sign a capable backup (Gustavsson), while Mrazek gets 50-60 games in Grand Rapids and maybe 10 or so in Detroit, and promote him in 2015-16, when he has another year of pro under his belt. What does Mrazek sitting for 70% or more in the NHL do for his game? Not much in my opinion.

Edited by krsmith17, 19 June 2014 - 08:27 AM.

#34 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:25 AM

It's not that he doesn't play decent, it's he's always hurt.  How is he going to push Howard of he's out with a pulled groin or whatever injury he's going to have this season.  Trust me I love Monster.

Because with Gus injured, we can call up Mrazek, and he'll run Howie out of town and steal the starting job…..

temp 1

#35 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,235 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:56 AM

Calling up Mrazek when Gus is hurt just lets him sit.  He doesn't get to play.  If he split games with Jimmy (not evenly of course) he'd get more NHL experience.  Again, imho, he's nothing more to prove in the AHL. 

#36 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:02 AM

Because with Gus injured, we can call up Mrazek, and he'll run Howie out of town and steal the starting job…..

hahahahah You really think that would EVER happen? Howard is part of the "good ol boy" club. We will never see him lose the starting job. We have put too much money in him for him not to play. He is suffering the Verlander syndrome.

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#37 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:19 AM

hahahahah You really think that would EVER happen? Howard is part of the "good ol boy" club. We will never see him lose the starting job. We have put too much money in him for him not to play. He is suffering the Verlander syndrome.

I don't know, I reckon in 2 years it might happen and then we'll shop Howard. Don't get me wrong, I like Jimmy alot, but if he doesn't show this season why he earned that big contract in the first place I don't see him being able to withstand Mrazek. Kid is going to be good. They'd be too stupid not to make Petr the starter if he performs as well as he can.

temp 1

#38 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:22 AM

Calling up Mrazek when Gus is hurt just lets him sit.  He doesn't get to play.  If he split games with Jimmy (not evenly of course) he'd get more NHL experience.  Again, imho, he's nothing more to prove in the AHL. 

Says who? He played 9 while he was called up this season. He'll play the majority of the games down in Grand Rapids (as he should), and if need be he'll come up and play a few in a Wings uniform. I don't know where this whole, "he's got nothing more to prove in the AHL" thing came about. He stole McCollum's job in his first year - while he was supposed to be the full-time starter this season, McCollum played the brunt of the games.

I truly believe that Petr needs a full season of 45-50 games as the Griffins starter, maintaining his numbers over that time. He shows great spurts of talent, but if I had to knock one thing about Mrazek it's his lack of consistency. He'll get a shutout one game, let in 4-5 the next. I'd like to see him get into a nice rhythm, personally.

#39 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:25 AM

Gus was a great back up this year. anyone who says otherwise is leftwinger

He was great in the first half of the season sure. Even then he was on IR after every other start. I think it is dumb to sign Gus when Mrazek has nothing left to prove in the AHL. 

#40 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:45 AM

He was great in the first half of the season sure. Even then he was on IR after every other start. I think it is dumb to sign Gus when Mrazek has nothing left to prove in the AHL. 

Considering all the injuries the Wings have had these past few seasons - why not sign a veteran player who's more than capable?

Do we have a glut of netminders in GR who could compete for a spot on the roster in Detroit (outside of Mrazek)?

'Evolution' created by Offsides