Detroit re-signs Gustavsson 1 yr $1.85 mill

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#81 KGW

KGW

Draftee

• 6 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:33 AM

Also, yeah he had a few bad games, when the team was playing terribly, but for one month or so, he was playing as well as any net minder in the league and he made a couple of the best saves I've seen in a long time. He also did well against Boston in my opinion.

He's bound to be inconsistant at times, if he wasn't, he wouldn't be signing as a back up and he wouldn't be $1.5 mill per year.

Edited by KGW, 20 June 2014 - 04:34 AM.

#82 Ekmanc

Ekmanc

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:07 AM

Good I'm happy we brought him back.

Now if only we had an elite starting goalie... ;)

Edited by Ekmanc, 20 June 2014 - 06:10 AM.

#83 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,263 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:36 AM

Guess it is a good viable option to bridge the 1 year before Petr comes up full time; but I do wonder if we could of snagged someone else on the open market? Too late for that now

Welcome back Gustavsson
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#84 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:42 AM

YA! We have an always hurt backup G with a career save % of .900! That was of course an improvement after this year when his save % was .917, even though his save % was below .900 for the last 4 months of the season........

#85 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:55 PM

Say what you will, but Gus saved our bacon in the first half of the season.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#86 Wings10

Wings10

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:47 AM

At least it's only a 1 yr deal

Edited by Wings10, 21 June 2014 - 09:52 AM.

#87 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:19 AM

Say what you will, but Gus saved our bacon in the first half of the season.

He played excellent in his two games against Boston as well considering how Howard was playing.

#88 STL-Wings

STL-Wings

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:30 AM

There are certainly worse options for a backup.  No problem with Gus for another year.

There are a lot of guys who have done well over such a small period of time but I think you really need to see a bigger picture like 30 games for two seasons to really get a better evaluation

x1000

#89 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 05:44 PM

dark, read before you post. Howard had a better save % and GAA than Gus in the PO's. Howard finished 3rd among all G's in the playoffs with a .931 save %. Only mason and jones were better. In GAA Howard finished 4th behind jones, mason and rask. Howard was not nor is he our problem. His health first half of the year was an issue.  

#90 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,242 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 06:09 PM

He played excellent in his two games against Boston as well considering how Howard was playing.

Like his shutout in the Wings only win of the series?

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#91 Ekmanc

Ekmanc

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 06:12 PM

Howard is definitely a huge part of our problem, he gave up early cheap goals in every single game that we lost.

#92 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 07:30 PM

Howard is definitely a huge part of our problem, he gave up early cheap goals in every single game that we lost.

I would to with all the crap playing in front of him.

#93 Mckinley25

Mckinley25

4th Line Grinder

• Bronze Booster
  • 261 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 07:53 PM

I would to with all the crap playing in front of him.

You would give up cheap goals?

#94 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:17 PM

Great signing.  Mrazek will get 60+ games for the Griffins next year.  Its is last year of AHL eligibility so I am glad to see him in Grand Rapids for his final year.  I would rather see him play 60 games in the AHL as opposed to 20 in the NHL as a backup.  After next year, Mrazek will be with Detroit and competing for Howards job.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#95 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:04 AM

Great signing.  Mrazek will get 60+ games for the Griffins next year.  Its is last year of AHL eligibility so I am glad to see him in Grand Rapids for his final year.  I would rather see him play 60 games in the AHL as opposed to 20 in the NHL as a backup.  After next year, Mrazek will be with Detroit and competing for Howards job.

Exactly, and I think it works better this way. It gives Jimmy one more year to prove he's worth the big contract he signed, right before Mrazek gets hot on his tail. And if he falters, then it's game on. Does anyone think that Howie's contract would be moveable if Mrazek proved he was better? 

Good on Gus for re-signing though, better the devil you know….

temp 1

#96 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:44 AM

What?

Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#97 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:05 AM

What?

Yes, kinda. After this (14/15) season he would have to pass through waivers to go down to GR. part of the new CBA. Only 3 years of protection now.

Exactly, and I think it works better this way. It gives Jimmy one more year to prove he's worth the big contract he signed, right before Mrazek gets hot on his tail. And if he falters, then it's game on. Does anyone think that Howie's contract would be moveable if Mrazek proved he was better? 

Good on Gus for re-signing though, better the devil you know….

First you are assuming that Mrasek beats him out anytime soon. Then there is Howard's NTC and how much value would a player have that gets beat out? Not much. Best beat, Howard returns to his top 5-10 in the NHL form and we are all set for 4 more years.

#98 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:14 AM

Yes, kinda. After this (14/15) season he would have to pass through waivers to go down to GR. part of the new CBA. Only 3 years of protection now.

Oh, ok! Didn't know that.

Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#99 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:29 AM

First you are assuming that Mrasek beats him out anytime soon. Then there is Howard's NTC and how much value would a player have that gets beat out? Not much. Best beat, Howard returns to his top 5-10 in the NHL form and we are all set for 4 more years.

While I am assuming, I just have this gut feeling that Mrazek will be great. Howie is good, don't get me wrong, but it feels like he's just not as self confident as Petr. Didn't know about the NTC until you mentioned it, but apparently it's only a 10 team list. Still moveable, but yes would be difficult. The last thing we want though is to end up with a Luongo/Schneider situation. But if massive contracts that are bigger than Howard's can be moved, it's definitely possible. 

temp 1

#100 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:44 AM

Good on Gus for re-signing though, better the devil you know.

Actually since mraz won't be making big money for several years yet we would easily be able to afford both of them. And once Howard's contract is up he can ten sign elsewhere or be a back up here for less money....assuming of course petr lives up to his hype.

Howard has proven he is a great goalie mraz hasn't.

But it can be potentially a great 1-2 punch for 3 years. Howard has three years left after this reason right?