• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Datsyukian-Deke

2014 Offseason League Signings and Trades

Rate this topic

Finally getting to take a look at all the transactions from today. A few thoughts:

*Unsurprisingly, Tampa made a lot of moves. Brought in Brian Boyle to replace Nate Thompson, which is an improvement, as far as I'm concerned. Signed Evgeni Nabokov to replace Anders Lindback. Brought Anton Stralman on board. Don't really like the contract, but this year's free agent class at defense is pretty weak, so it is to be expected. Not sure where (or if) Mike Blunden fits into the Lightning's lineup. He may be a replacement for Pierre-Cedric Labrie. Labrie played a good chunk of last year in Syracuse and signed with the Blackhawks.

*Buffalo was relatively active today. Signed Matt Moulson to an idiotic contract. Brought back Cody McCormick on a 3-year deal to replace Zenon Konopka on their 4th line. Brought Brian Gionta in on a 3-year deal.

*I can't believe the Panthers gave Dave Bolland a 5-year deal worth $5.5 million/year. Unbelievable. Have fun with that. On the other hand, Tallon brought in Shawn Thornton (I've been calling this since it was announced he wouldn't be back with the Bruins). Good move to bring a veteran in for the younger ones. I guess Krys Barch will not be back with them next year. Jussi Jokinen will provide some much-needed offense. They needed a veteran on the blueline, but over $4 million/year for an aging 3rd-pairing defenseman in Willie Mitchell is silly. I love the Derek MacKenzie acquisition for them. As far as I'm concerned, MacKenzie is one of the most well-rounded 4th liners in the league. Good deal for both sides, there.

*Washington will regret the contracts given to Brooks Orpik and Matt Niskanen within the next few years. That is all.

*Mason Raymond is a solid pickup for the Flames. Wished we could have brought in Deryk Engelland. Instead, he is off to Calgary. Pretty tough looking team out there.

*The Stars are going to be stacked in their top 6. Also, congrats to Patrick Eaves. Hopefully he can stay healthy and in the Dallas lineup

*Leafs fans must be happy to have Leo Komarov back. I'm not sure about the Robidas deal. Does he have 3 years left in him?

*$7 million/year for Stastny. Lulz.

*Colorado is really making a move to become serious contenders. Couple veterans in Iginla and Stuart brought in.

the only thing that is going to make up for this is a trade for a realistic number 1 D or a proven goal scorer or both because otherwise Holland is under fire and it will be a long offseason ass of right now especially if we don't resign alfie we would have possibly

Z Dats Goose

Franzen Weiss Abby

Tats Shehan Jurco

Miller Helm Glendening

Kronwall Big E

DD Smith

Q Kindl/lashoff

not a productive bunch especially with pending hurting players

How these guys are considered NHL Hockey players is beyond me

either holland ******* sucks or players dont want to come here

we NEEDED to improve the defense, na we keep it the same

looking at some of the contracts that we couldve got

stralman 4.5mil better than quincey

ehrhoff at 4 mil better than quincey

i think i wouldve even took dan boyle at 4.5 than quincey

moulson @ 5 mil. rather him then alfie @ 5 mil

the worst part is, holland wont be making anymore moves on defense except resigning dekeyser

yeah not interested in watching last season all over again. just ruined my day thanks

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/531033

I this is a pretty reasonable summary. In the end, I think we gave too much money to Quincey, but it's not a complete bust. We could have pulled a Washington and thrown an extra $62 Million at two defensemen, one of whom is aging poorly and the other has had only one good year. Looking at the players that went, I think the Wings missed out more at forward than in a weak D market.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/531033

I this is a pretty reasonable summary. In the end, I think we gave too much money to Quincey, but it's not a complete bust. We could have pulled a Washington and thrown an extra $62 Million at two defensemen, one of whom is aging poorly and the other has had only one good year. Looking at the players that went, I think the Wings missed out more at forward than in a weak D market.

You realized Holland offer Niskanen almost the same money he got from Wash, right?

You realized Holland offer Niskanen almost the same money he got from Wash, right?

Yes, and that would have been a gamble. It would have been a disaster if he coupled that gamble with another $30M on an aging stay at home defenseman. Just like I think it's a disaster for Washington. I could be wrong, but I think Niskanen is going to have to continue to improve for me to be wrong.

Losing out on Suter/Parise a couple of years ago was far more disappointing than missing out on an aging Boyle (who probably made a knee jerk, look at the box score - Rangers just went to the finals, my career is almost done reaction after coming out of yet another shocking playoff exit in SJ - I mean you've got to expect some mental anguish from anyone coming out if SJ) or a possible one year wonder Niskanen.

I think I just broke my record for longest sentence, lol.

So.... What are our UFA options a year from now?

Green, Ehrhoff(again), and Marc Staal. Most of the good forwards on the list most likely stay with their current teams. I think Bobby Ryan will make it to free agency, but hes gonna sign with the flyers.

"My first priority was to be on a good team." -Ehrhoff.

Holy crap. Just humiliating.

That article also takes a dig at the Wings not being able to buy their team. That pisses me off. That wasn't even really the case in the pre-cap era. We spent a lot, but we got the right players.

I'm thinking it's Babcock. Almost every player suffers individually under his reign, and that lowers their future value. Case in point: no one really wants any of our players except for Nyquist, Jurco or maybe Tatar. So coming to Detroit could actually be bad for their careers. He just doesn't seem to utilize some players where they would be strongest (Smith, Cleary, Quincey, Kindl, etc.)

Green, Ehrhoff(again), and Marc Staal. Most of the good forwards on the list most likely stay with their current teams. I think Bobby Ryan will make it to free agency, but hes gonna sign with the flyers.

At that point I would almost stand pat. It's pretty obvious they are not trying to get a Cup for Dats and Z. Sorry but signings like Modano, Alfie, and Quincey twice doesn't smell like a contending team. I would almost stand pat and let the young guys mature and grow as hockey players. I don't want to trade at this point cause I can see Holland getting schooled in that too.