• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Datsyukian-Deke

2014 Offseason League Signings and Trades

Rate this topic

So him being a 48 point guy on a worse team is a 4th center. But Franzen who averages 49 points is top 6 and injury prone Weiss is a 2c who also is 48 points a season right?

Nice logic LOL

I'm pretty sure 99% of people on this board would use him as a 2C. He was saying he'd be a 4th liner here because at the end of last season, when we got healthier, that's where Babs used him and that's where he'd use him again.

Not re-signing Legwand is the least of this team's problems. A $3 million dollar center isn't an insurance policy - it a 2nd/3rd line guy. All the C's going down last season, despite how injury plagued this team has been the past number of years, was a total freak occurrence. As has been stated, the team grabbed a few guys (Porter, Miele) for center depth. They're nowhere near as good as Legwand, but with a healthy line-up, Legwand doesn't fit into this team.

How often were people around here complaining about Samuelsson sitting on the bench while earning $3 million last year? A good portion of that was because he was taking up a roster spot, but you just don't have that kind of money sitting out of the line-up for good chunks of the season. Dats, Weiss, Sheahan, Helm, Glendening and/or Z and Mule if necessary... as others have said, we have solid center depth right now. There just wasn't a fit for Legwand here.

Guest DeGraa55

Any offer sheet over 3.5M will cost a 1st round pick... do you all really want to give up a 1st in the "best draft evar"?

I'd sign subban for7 or 8m and gladly lose four first rounders when you get a guy like that. But like others have said it will never happen for various reasons.

Edited by DeGraa55

I'd sign subban for7 or 8m and gladly lose four first rounders when you get a guy like that. But like others have said it will never happen for various reasons.

Risk Management. You can sign a guy like that, use up 1/9th of your cap space, move him into a different system, and pray that he still performs at the same level-- all while giving up chances in the next FOUR drafts to make up for it if he busts, or you can pass, fill from within, or take a shot in the next FOUR DRAFTS to find FOUR players who have similar potential to be as good.

This sums up your pov so perfectly. Babs played PK in how many Olympic Games?

Edited by number9

Guest DeGraa55

Risk Management. You can sign a guy like that, use up 1/9th of your cap space, move him into a different system, and pray that he still performs at the same level-- all while giving up chances in the next FOUR drafts to make up for it if he busts, or you can pass, fill from within, or take a shot in the next FOUR DRAFTS to find FOUR players who have similar potential to be as good.

Well it's all a risk. Hell most of our higher picks seem to be worse than our lower picks. But the only reason why I would do it now is it puts us much closer to competing for another cup while z and dat are here. Otherwise they WILL NOT win a cup for the rest of their careers.

So that's the biggest reason why I would do it. But I completely agree most guys wouldn't be worth losing 1 or 2 first rounders for like a franson. But a guy like subban puts us much closer but of course with all this said....it won't happen. Holland won't offer him and if he did I'm sure Montreal would match.

Well it's all a risk. Hell most of our higher picks seem to be worse than our lower picks. But the only reason why I would do it now is it puts us much closer to competing for another cup while z and dat are here. Otherwise they WILL NOT win a cup for the rest of their careers.

So that's the biggest reason why I would do it. But I completely agree most guys wouldn't be worth losing 1 or 2 first rounders for like a franson. But a guy like subban puts us much closer but of course with all this said....it won't happen. Holland won't offer him and if he did I'm sure Montreal would match.

Well I heard a rumor that before Philly gave Weber that offer sheet Holland was going to give him a one year $10million offer sheet which would either be matched and make him a ufa the next season or we would get him. Either way. Win win. But Philly did that ridiculous one lol

Guest DeGraa55

Well I heard a rumor that before Philly gave Weber that offer sheet Holland was going to give him a one year $10million offer sheet which would either be matched and make him a ufa the next season or we would get him. Either way. Win win. But Philly did that ridiculous one lol

I doubt that holland would ever do that.

But I agree that's a good idea in theory BUT you'd lose 4 first round picks if they didn't match and if you're unable to resign him it's really not worth it.

But if they did match it....great idea the we can go after him as a UFA and miss out like usual lately lol.

Any offer sheet over 3.5M will cost a 1st round pick... do you all really want to give up a 1st in the "best draft evar"?

Montreal would match that in a second.

I know it'll never happen, but there are some intriguing RFA's out there... Offer Sheets? Ha!

P.K. Subban, Cody Franson, Jason Demers... Of course all of their respective teams have plenty of cap space.

Subban and Franson are protected from offer sheets anyways because they filed for arbitration. But I agree, some very interesting names out there.

#firekenholland

EVERY defenseman that has signed a UFA contract thus far this off season is better than Quincey. "I don't know why they aren't coming here..."

Maybe because you sign #KFQ for $4.25M and offer better players less....they just take the less somewhere else. :lol: Think about it, Holland overpaid for Quincey 3 times...1st round pick to get him, $3.75M his last contract and $4.25M now...I don't blame #KFQ at all, he is probably laughing all the way to the bank...

A list of guys still UFA that would help in some way on this club...and are better than #kfq:

Derek Morris

Paul Ranger

Sami Salo

Scott Hannen

Hal Gill

Michael Del Zotto

Ryan Whitney

Joni Pitkanen

Sheldon Brookbank

Ratislav Klesla

Mike Komisarek

Komisarek, Morris and Salo are RH as well...

are you kidding me volchenkov got 1 mil?

the F holland

I refuse to believe it otherwise I would be very mad :(

So far my conclusion (in the east at least):

1. Bruins

Got worse you don't give up on an energy and leadership guy like Thornton AND on your best goalscorer. Iginla was the perfect fit for Boston, he brings size, leadership, class and is still a very skilled player. I think Boston is going to regret some decisions this off-season, but they are still going to be a top team in the east.

2. Tampa Bay

Depth and defense fixed with some great contracts, if Bishop can continue his pre injury form watchout east Y is building a juggernaut there... :(

3. Washington Capitals

For the first time since forever the team is having a coach, who expects and appreciates hard work, add to that Niskanen and I think their run and gun no matter what days are going to be over ==> dangerous team.

4. Columbus

Well they've added Hartnell which should make them even tougher to play against, they are for sure in the mix again.

5. Pittsburgh

Replacing Niskanen with Ehrhoff gives them an eaven deadlier PP but also less defensive ability, add to that the new coach and GM and I think they are looking at a somewhat down year (for their expectations).

6. Canadiens

I don't think they can repeat their last season Cinderella story, they've traded away a good amount of leadership with Gorges, Parros (when that guy speaks you better listen...) and Gionta. So in my mind they've gotten worse but will make the playoffs again.

7. Toronto

Haven't done anything worth mentioning so far ? So it's tough to say maybe they are bringing some of the younger Marlies up ? If Shanahan is stuiid enough to get rid off a great locker room and very well liked guys like Orrr and Reimer they'll for sure take a step back. Bernier played outstanding yes but it's only one season and that's not a big enough sample size.

8. Florida

I think they could be a darkhorse team when it comes down to making the playoffs, that Ekblad - Gudbranson pairing is looking extremely dangerous and Luongo will provide some excellent goaltending for them. Although that Bolland signing is LOL

9. Ottawa

I hope everyone there is playing his heart out for Murray. Replacing Spezza will be not only tough but hardly accomplishable in such a short amount of time. Melynk open your damn pocket and let him ice a roster than can at least make the playoffs you penny pincher.

10. Philadelphia

They've been extremely quiet so far other than that Hartnell trade nothing major ? I clearly expect them to make a huge move before the season starts. Being quiet is not Flyers style come UFA ...and I think Hextall is going to bring in some defensive stallwart.

11. Rangers

Kreider hasn't been re-signed yet and if Sather takes him to arbitration the relationship will go sore and I don't think Boyle is the answer for them (they've needed help at the forward position), also replacing Richards won't be easy so at the best they arent better or worse.

12. Detroit

Been discussed ad nauseum, superstars 1 year older, defense still only a top 3 and a lot of questionmarks in terms of forward depth => got worse. No I won't use injury excuses or thousand IF possibilities right now to me this team is worse than last year, period.

13. Buffalo, New Jersey and Carolina

Buffalo improved a bit in terms of leadership but also lost a ton of grit in Scott..the Devils and Hurricanes really didn't do much so I think those three will be at the bottom of the east again.

Predictions:

1. Pittsburgh

2. Boston

3. Tampa Bay

4. Washington

5. Canadiens

6. Rangers

7. Columbus

8. Philadelphia

Edited by frankgrimes

A guy who is arguably better than Quincey just signed for less than 1/4 the price.

Process that for a moment.

Yes, it's definitely arguable.

He's certainly has been a good stay at home guy... when he's healthy... but we don't need a stay at home guy whose durability is questionable at best. I don't care how little he signed for... we need a puck mover.

Edited by e_prime

Sorry but Volchenkov is NOT better than Quincey. Some peoples hatred is blinding...

He's approaching his mid-30s with significant injury history from making his living blocking shots and playing an abrasive style with ZERO offensive upside.

It's like he fills all our needs! :confused: