• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Datsyukian-Deke

2014 Offseason League Signings and Trades

Rate this topic

Seabrook and Bickell and others from Chicago are available per nhl.com. Would love to have them. Both can make a huge impact on our team. Kenny needs to wake up.

I'd be willing to move significant assets for Seabrook. RH Top pair Dman on a cap hit of 5.8mill for 2 more years.

You would think the Blackhawks wouldn't even be considering trading him. If I were the hawks I'd be trying to dump Rozsival and/or Oduya on the backend and Bickel and Versteeg up front.

The Hawks could probably cut enough cap for 2015-2016 with this lineup:

Saad - Toews - Kane

Hossa - Teravainen - Sharp

Morin - Shaw - Smith

Ross - Kruger - Regin

(2 kids on ELCs)

Keith - Seabrook

Hjalmarsson - Oduya

Leddy - Rundblad

Clendening

Seabrook and Bickell and others from Chicago are available per nhl.com. Would love to have them. Both can make a huge impact on our team. Kenny needs to wake up.

I'd rather not take on Bickell, but Seabrook is exactly what our blueline needs. That is a trade where I would be willing to use Tatar as a centrepiece.

According to @THNKenCampbell, Ryan O'Reilly asking for $6.75 million in arbitration. Avs offering $5.525 million. One year award.

$5.525 Avs offering O'Reilly represents 15% pay cut from '13-14 salary of $6.5 million, maximum pay cut allowed under CBA.

Adam Proteau @Proteautype 3m

Ryan O'Reilly scored nearly 30 goals last season, and the Avs are offering him the maximum pay cut allowed under the CBA? #gong

According to @THNKenCampbell, Ryan O'Reilly asking for $6.75 million in arbitration. Avs offering $5.525 million. One year award.

$5.525 Avs offering O'Reilly represents 15% pay cut from '13-14 salary of $6.5 million, maximum pay cut allowed under CBA.

Adam Proteau @Proteautype 3m

Ryan O'Reilly scored nearly 30 goals last season, and the Avs are offering him the maximum pay cut allowed under the CBA? #gong

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Colorado showing the kind of class that's made them a first rate organization over the years.

Holy smokes if we get Brent Seabrook I will forgive Kenny for everything

A huge part of his play is definitely a result of playing with Keith but I mean pair him with Dekeyser and you've got a solid top 4 (other two being Kronner & Smith)

steve simmons @simmonssteve 47m

Once again Cody Franson avoids arbitration with Leafs. Signs one year deal at 3.3 million.

Winging It In Motown @wingingitmotown 31m

The Leafs avoiding arbitration with Cody Franson means they can trade him.

In no way, shape, or form do I wish to drag the discussion back to Doomsville, but let us count the number of defensive signings that are better than the Quincey deal. Oh, the discussion never left Doomsville... Whew! I'm safe.

EDIT: For the record, I understand that some of the signings have individual circumstances/discussions around them. (RFAs, players that actually would sign with DET, etc.) So, let's not nitpick.

EDIT2: Of course, in the end, we should all take a deep breath and be happy that at least Kenny didn't sign Orpik to that horrible contract.

Edited by e_prime

There's a difference between being genuinely, solidly available and being the subject of mostly baseless, speculative rumor-milling. I'm assuming the latter is what we're dealing in here, yes? Even if they are truly available, how are we landing either one of them, never mind both? And what are the odds that Seabrook would re-sign with us (his current contract has two more seasons on it), given that seemingly no big names want to sign with the Wings? Maybe two years from now we're a better team and a much more attractive destination for UFAs, but Chicago is going to want our best young talent.

It is unbelievable how the Aves are treating O'Reilly. I get that they're trying to sign him to the best deal they possibly can, but you don't cheap out on a player like this. O'Reilly is coming off a career year and is an unbelievable two-way player that is only 23 years old. If they're not careful things will go sour and they will lose him for little to nothing.

Franson is a player I really wanted 4 years ago when he was in Nashville, and nothing much has changed since then. I would love to get Franson on this team if the price was right. He is a solid all around defenseman with a booming shot that would be a massive boost to our power-play.

I would give up Kindl and Ouellet plus a mid round pick in a heart beat for Cody Franson.

Regarding Seabrook. Zero percent chance we would get him and I doubt I'd be willing to give up what it would take to get him.

You'd be talking Nyquist and / or Jurco, Sproul and / or Ouellet, plus picks... No thanks!

Edited by krsmith17

I fully agree about the Ryan O'Reilly saga, the guy came of a career year the Avs were willing to match the offersheet and now they expect him to take less ? And if he doesn't play along they take him to club filed arbitration ? Wow just wow.

Thankfully O'Reilly is a Newport Sports client and they won't cave one bit here, why should they. Yeah Duchene took less money for longer term but that doesn't mean every player has and will do the same. Sakic really has to think about the bottom line here: Ryan O'Reilly on the open market would get easily get something close to 7 aav, so expecting him to 1 mill less per year is just insane. Dater has a really good inside article about the whole thing http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs

If the Avs clearly believe in that "Duchene cap" good luck signing top UFAS in the free agent market, it's not going to happen they've already lost Statsny and are now willing to risk another loss in O'Reilly. If I'm O'Reilly I'm thinking :,, Okay, they don't think I'm worth more than 6 million after a career year although they've matched an offer-sheet and all because of some internal "cap structure"...You know what screw that, Meahan should get me the best arbitration deal possible I'm going to sign a one year deal, so my trade value will be low, having my best offseason workout ever and when all is said and done I'm going to a team that values me and my skills..."

Top centers are so hard to come by in the cap era and the Avs are looking at losing two of them in a span of one year, wow. Just goes to show you how happy we can be with Mike Ilitch guy would spend whatever it takes to ice a winner, sadly the NHL doesn't allow it.

Edited by frankgrimes

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 1m

Was told early in weekend that Leafs would settle in $3.25-million range. Same source said Franson would then be dealt, so we'll see.

I would love Cody Franson simply because I think he would cost us the least and he is still a decent player. If we were still in the West I think it would be a done deal but hard to trade with people in your own division. Edited by Datsyukian-Deke

I really don't get the people shaking their heads at COL in terms of dealing with O'Reilly. Yes, he's coming off a career year, but that career year is nothing compared to the consistent years that the players earning the money he wants put up.

At first, I didn't understand at all how he could even have been making $6.5M, but then I remembered the offer sheet...that's how he got there to begin with. So I decided to do a bit of checking. I had a look at all the other players in the league with cap hits at or greater than $6.5M (he's now looking for $6.75M by the way, but my guess is that is to aim a bit high and let it come down a bit). This is what I found:

26 forwards in the league at that level:

16 - have scored 40 or more goals or 100 or more points

4 - have scored 90 or more points

3 - have scored 80 or more points

That leaves the following 4 that haven't scored 40 goals or more than 80pts:

Toews - he has scored 34 goals and 76 pts, but I don't think we need to use stats to say that you can't compare to Toews

Bergeron - he's scored more than 30 goals 2 times and scored more than 60 points 5 times, 70+ points 2 times, selke winner - no comparison

Stastny - getting a bit more comparable, but he has scored 78 points in the NHL and another season with 70+ points as well + he signed his deal as a UFA...big difference

Koivu - this is the one I can't quite understand (i.e. why he's paid so much) - his stats are still better than O'Reilly's career year and he's consistently scored 20+ goals and has scored more than 70 points, but he still looks overpaid.

So, to me, O'Reilly and his 28 goal and 64 point career year don't seem to explain to me why he should be paid $6.5M.

I really don't get the people shaking their heads at COL in terms of dealing with O'Reilly. Yes, he's coming off a career year, but that career year is nothing compared to the consistent years that the players earning the money he wants put up.

At first, I didn't understand at all how he could even have been making $6.5M, but then I remembered the offer sheet...that's how he got there to begin with. So I decided to do a bit of checking. I had a look at all the other players in the league with cap hits at or greater than $6.5M (he's now looking for $6.75M by the way, but my guess is that is to aim a bit high and let it come down a bit). This is what I found:

26 forwards in the league at that level:

16 - have scored 40 or more goals or 100 or more points

4 - have scored 90 or more points

3 - have scored 80 or more points

That leaves the following 4 that haven't scored 40 goals or more than 80pts:

Toews - he has scored 34 goals and 76 pts, but I don't think we need to use stats to say that you can't compare to Toews

Bergeron - he's scored more than 30 goals 2 times and scored more than 60 points 5 times, 70+ points 2 times, selke winner - no comparison

Stastny - getting a bit more comparable, but he has scored 78 points in the NHL and another season with 70+ points as well + he signed his deal as a UFA...big difference

Koivu - this is the one I can't quite understand (i.e. why he's paid so much) - his stats are still better than O'Reilly's career year and he's consistently scored 20+ goals and has scored more than 70 points, but he still looks overpaid.

So, to me, O'Reilly and his 28 goal and 64 point career year don't seem to explain to me why he should be paid $6.5M.

To me it's more a matter of Colorado mishandling the situation so badly that they were put in this position in the first place. This is exactly what happens if you try and lowball good young talent. As a 21 year old he was putting up 50+ pts. and was one of the better defensive forwards in the league and his team wanted to hold his feet over the fire. There had to be a better way to satisfy him AND retain his services without completely alienating the kid. Sadly, Colorado management didn't seem up to the task.

I'll be honest, I have no idea what the negotiating was like a couple years ago, for either side. At the time, he was coming off his first 3 years in the league in which he put up totals of 3 goals, 13 goals and 18 goals (along with 26 points, 26 points and 55 points). Personally, I'd be worried about whether the 55 point total was a fluke or not, but he did look to have nice progression. Historically, most teams in this situation end up paying for future potential and hope to see further development. What I don't know is what the Avs were offering or what he was asking for at that time. If the Avs were low balling him, I'd agree with you, not something you want to do, but if they were offering something reasonable and he was asking for something unreasonable, I'd have a different tune. There is no way he was worth the contract he signed though and now the Avs look bad in trying to bring him back to something that's more realistic.

As you say, if they low balled him a couple years ago, that's where the problem comes from.

I'll be honest, I have no idea what the negotiating was like a couple years ago, for either side. At the time, he was coming off his first 3 years in the league in which he put up totals of 3 goals, 13 goals and 18 goals (along with 26 points, 26 points and 55 points). Personally, I'd be worried about whether the 55 point total was a fluke or not, but he did look to have nice progression. Historically, most teams in this situation end up paying for future potential and hope to see further development. What I don't know is what the Avs were offering or what he was asking for at that time. If the Avs were low balling him, I'd agree with you, not something you want to do, but if they were offering something reasonable and he was asking for something unreasonable, I'd have a different tune. There is no way he was worth the contract he signed though and now the Avs look bad in trying to bring him back to something that's more realistic.

As you say, if they low balled him a couple years ago, that's where the problem comes from.

This could be total bulls***, but I remember at the time that O'Reilly was looking for the same money as Duchene was going to get (3.5 mil) and Colorado didn't want to give that to him so he wasn't signing. Hard to blame him if that was the case considering he was probably the better all around player after their first 3 years, but again, that could all be b.s.

There are three D-men out there that for the life of me, I cannot figure out why they aren't signed somewhere yet... Derek Morris, Michael Del Zotto and Ryan Whitney... These guys are very solid guys who could help any of the 30 teams out there...

#KFQ

For me it is easy to side with O'Reilly here:

The Avs just didn't handle him well, so the relationship went sore soon and now they are willing to do the same thing again ? Is O'Reilly worth 6,5 per right now ? Probably not but he could very well be worth it in the future. Also keep in mind if a player signs an offer-sheet he is basically telling the team: "ok this is going to be my pricetag going forward"...if the team matches => the player and agent will think "good they are fine with it"

Nobody could have predicted that stupid "internal cap structure" Duchene is the excemption, yes, he is a better player than Ryan but he really took an underpaid contract guy would have gotten 6,5+ on the open market, same goes for Landeskog. But expecting every player to fall into that cap structure will soon lead to a disaster, Statsny didn't want to do it and neither does O'Reilly which to me is completely understandable, I wouldn't either (1 million over lets say 6 years = 6 million less at the bank..), that's one heck of a beautiful house or 15 over the top cars.

Also keep in mind what type of message the Avs are sending out this summer, it's like: if you play for us you won't be allowed to make more than 6 AAV which won't work at all with an ever rising cap ..

There are three D-men out there that for the life of me, I cannot figure out why they aren't signed somewhere yet... Derek Morris, Michael Del Zotto and Ryan Whitney... These guys are very solid guys who could help any of the 30 teams out there...

#KFQ

The guy who couldn't crack the Florida Panthers lineup?

Sorry, Quincey > Whitney