• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Datsyukian-Deke

2014 Offseason League Signings and Trades

Rate this topic

I don't believe Cleary ever had a firm offer. At best I think it was tryout with Philly with a potential offer if he showed anything. St. Lame was really the only one pushing the idea he was turning down a guaranteed deal to come back.

Exactly…Cleary’s signing was conditional with Philly IF he could make the team. Cleary knew that he wouldn’t make the team so he went back to Babcock and Holland and said he wanted to play for the Wings knowing that Holland and Babcock had some weird hard on for him. Hey if he can prove that he can make the roster (almost guaranteed) and be effective, I won’t hate the signing so much. But that is what it is. He’s back and pushing the youth back into GR AGAIN.

I never understood the Cleary handshake agreement to begin with. Cleary was gone, he turned down a 3 year deal from the wings and we had no cap space left. Then he got a contract offer, turned around and told Holland he wanted to come back, and at that point Holland had the upper hand. He was ready to walk away before, so what changed? He gave him a one year contract offer and should have said, look Danny, I know you want more, but this is what we can afford (even though they couldn't) so take it or leave it. Instead told him he would get a raise the following year if he re-signed. Somehow from Cleary having no bargaining leverage, he got the upper hand, maybe Cleary should be our gm lol.

The extra million this year should have been for getting 10 points, not playing 10 games. His whopping 8 points last year in 52 games don't merit more than league minimum. That's 4th line enforcer stats, especially when you account for his -11.

Zombo, I'm not sure I get how you think Cleary has so much more potential than Booth. Booth has been very good every year in the league, except last year, not just 2 good years. I think the only question with him is health. He's done the following:

2008 - 40pts

2009 - 60pts

2010 - 16pts in injury shortened 28 games (extrapolates to 47pts over 82 games)

2011 - 40pts

2012 - 30pts in 62 games (extrapolates to 40pts over 82 games)

2013 - write-off due to injury

2014 - 19pts in 66 games.

So, yes, health is definitely a problem, but for a guy that can put up 40 - 60pts or more if healthy, a 1 year, $1.1M contract is basically zero risk.

For Cleary, he's been on a steady decline, which shouldn't be expected to change as he's continue to get older (he's 35 vs. Booth who is 29). Cleary signed for $1.5M + potential $1M bonus + NTC.

Honestly, I don't think either deals are bad since the $$ are really low (below league average), but if I had to pick the better deal, it's obvious to me.

Zombo, I'm not sure I get how you think Cleary has so much more potential than Booth. Booth has been very good every year in the league, except last year, not just 2 good years. I think the only question with him is health. He's done the following:

2008 - 40pts

2009 - 60pts

2010 - 16pts in injury shortened 28 games (extrapolates to 47pts over 82 games)

2011 - 40pts

2012 - 30pts in 62 games (extrapolates to 40pts over 82 games)

2013 - write-off due to injury

2014 - 19pts in 66 games.

So, yes, health is definitely a problem, but for a guy that can put up 40 - 60pts or more if healthy, a 1 year, $1.1M contract is basically zero risk.

For Cleary, he's been on a steady decline, which shouldn't be expected to change as he's continue to get older (he's 35 vs. Booth who is 29). Cleary signed for $1.5M + potential $1M bonus + NTC.

Honestly, I don't think either deals are bad since the $$ are really low (below league average), but if I had to pick the better deal, it's obvious to me.

It's not so much that Cleary is better than Booth. It's that siging Cleary instead of Booth is not the scrotum-crushingly bad move that a few here were eager to declare.

Neither guy has been healthy recently. Booth has had some good regular seasons and Cleary has had some good playoffs. To me it's a wash. Booth might get the edge based on age where Cleary might get the edge based on time-served and past history (I know this is an unpopular opinion).

Regardless, it's certainly not a scenario where Booth at 1M is an unbelievable steal and Cleary at 1.5M makes Holland a terrible GM. (I know this is not how you feel, but my original response was directed at less even-tempered LGWers)

I agree with you there, like I said, I don't think either is a bad deal. I think the Booth deal is a better one, but I certainly wouldn't look at that one as a steal and think of the Cleary one as a terrible deal. Both are low risk deals and while the Booth one is better (imo), it certainly isn't by a huge amount.

This post reeks of sexual innuendo. I approve. *NSFW* !!

Back to Mueller ("Mueller? ... Mueller?"), some random guy thinks he'd be a good fit in Detroit:

http://www.rantsports.com/nhl/2014/07/22/nhl-rumors-top-5-fits-for-peter-mueller/#slide3

Kevin Hayes, who I've talked up before, might also be an option.

signed with St Louis.

I take it that all our roster spots are taken once DD signs up and if Alfie returns we have a full 23 man roster.

Do we think we will invite any FA's to camp to try and beat out anyone? And if so who would you like to see get

an invite for a try out. Dustin Penner is still unsigned, would give us a bit more size up front, and also id take a

shot at Devon Setoguchi, fast right handed shot, cant work out why he is still unsigned

I would pass on Setoguchi. Hate that guy, probably the biggest diver I've ever seen.

Penner I also don't see working out too well on the wings. Big, slow, lazy.... We have enough Franzens.

Not to shoot down your suggestions on these players lol, I would like to see some fresh blood on the team especially via tryout.

Edited by WingsallTheway

Penner benefitted from who he played with Setoguchi just isn't that good.

Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Jurco, Tatar, Nyquist, Weiss, Franzen, Sheahan, and one of Alfredsson, Helm, or Abdelkader on the first 3 lines. Last spots Abdelkader, Helm, Miller are set, Cleary, Andersson, Glendening, Callahan, Ferraro fighting for a spot. That works for me without adding the garbage left in free agency. The only other move I want is Kindl for a pick to make room for a rookie, or a package to get a top end right handed d.

I would pass on Setoguchi. Hate that guy, probably the biggest diver I've ever seen.

Penner I also don't see working out too well on the wings. Big, slow, lazy.... We have enough Franzens.

Not to shoot down your suggestions on these players lol, I would like to see some fresh blood on the team especially via tryout.

Penner is such a weird one. He was hot and cold in LA, but then seemed rejuvenated with the Ducks and was playing on the first line. So naturally they trade him to Washington for a 4th round pick?

With the Ducks he had 32 points in 49 games and was a +22. I'm a little leery of him though too because of his hot and cold nature. I'd be afraid for whatever reason he'd be a bust in Detroit. When motivated he's still a good player though.

Penner is such a weird one. He was hot and cold in LA, but then seemed rejuvenated with the Ducks and was playing on the first line. So naturally they trade him to Washington for a 4th round pick?

With the Ducks he had 32 points in 49 games and was a +22. I'm a little leery of him though too because of his hot and cold nature. I'd be afraid for whatever reason he'd be a bust in Detroit. When motivated he's still a good player though.

From what I heard the Ducks knew he was only scoring because of his linemates, knew they wouldn't re-sign him, so they traded him when they thought they could get decent value for him.

not sure if anyone posted that Gardiner re-signed with Toronto for $4.05M...he was a RFA defenseman. So, this will probably be the starting point for DeKeyser. He will more than likely get a similar contract.

Gardiner has more than 1 season under his belt. DeKeyser should get the exact same contract as Tatar.

I'd take Setoguchi, just so that when we sign Alfredsson they'll be able to join together and form the world's funniest sounding duo...Alfie and the Gooch.

Z - I agree with you, and I hope the cap hit stays somewhere around Tatar's, that way there is money left over for a trade deadline acquisition... :lol: Did I just say that? Anyhow, I do hope it is close to Tatar, but I got a feeling its going to be more towards Gardiner... I guess if he signs for 4-5 years @ $4.2Mish I could be ok with that, considering the money Holland has given Quincey. I know Q has more seniority in the league, but Danny is better already. I hope that Danny signs one of those homer discounts to remain here forever and be part of (hopefully) a core that is going to grow into the next Dynasty.

I'm thinking it will be roughly the same amount that Gardiner had signed for...Nothing against Gardiner, but of the 2 players - DD, and Gardiner - who's played a greater role for their respective team?

Gardiner? He plays in every situation, ranked 2nd among his entire team in minutes/game and is relied on heavily for his offense and puck moving ability.

Dekeyser is a good player who we need but Gardiner plays a much larger role on his team.

I love these analytics they use now. Using math and science instead of gut feelings is looking like the next big wave in the NHL.

I personally have been very high on Tatar and was never for him being traded in any package for a defenseman. He has a quick release, he is a fast skater and most of all his tenacious compete level is something I noticed every time he was on the ice. He also plays with a lot of heart. My favorite moment of last season is when he played when his dad died. I went to that game (which was in LA) and it was an amazing moment when he scored and pointed to the rafters. I'm telling you 2.75M is nothing for a player with his intangibles.

Edited by Datsyukian-Deke

I love these analytics they use now. Using math and science instead of gut feelings is looking like the next big wave in the NHL.

I personally have been very high on Tatar and was never for him being traded in any package for a defenseman. He has a quick release, he is a fast skater and most of all his tenacious compete level is something I noticed every time he was on the ice. He also plays with a lot of heart. My favorite moment of last season is when he played when his dad died. I went to that game (which was in LA) and it was an amazing moment when he scored and pointed to the rafters. I'm telling you 2.75M is nothing for a player with his intangibles.

I like how you went from talking about loving that things are going towards math and science and away from gut feelings, and then wrote an entire paragraph on how this is a steal because of several gut feelings. Not saying that I disagree with you I just thought it was funny.

Great deal. But for the record I'd still package him for a good young top2/4 dman.

For whatever reason (boredom, schadenfreude, actual interest-take your pick) I am fascinated* with this situation:

@THNKenCampbell: Canadiens playing a dangerous game with P.K. Subban. My blog. http://t.co/qQEO7rdmMW

*exaggeration

I don't blame the Habs org for not wanting to pay an RFA 8.5 mil, but how do you not botch this relationship if they do, as the article suggests, take him to arbitration twice? Is he going to want to stay a Hab as UFA if his RFA negotiations are always tense?

Because I would looooove to have P.K. in a Wings uni...