• Please log in to reply
1816 replies to this topic

#221 Nevermind

Nevermind

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:45 AM

I would think Stevie could get more than a 6th round pick for Gagner. He's only 24 and has a $3.2 million dollar cap hit over the next two seasons.

Good job freeing up cap space, but bad asset management IMO.

#222 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:59 AM

I would think Stevie could get more than a 6th round pick for Gagner. He's only 24 and has a $3.2 million dollar cap hit over the next two seasons.

My thoughts exactly.. gagner is not a bad player either. The change of scenery could do wonders for him.

it'll be interesting to see what stevie does with the cap space though.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#223 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:49 AM

Right or wrong Stevie is trying to make his team better long term and freeing up cash to do it. Who knows if it will work. So far our moves are........

#224 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,017 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:35 AM

It's sounding like the most important goal was cap space before the free agent market opened.  So Yzerman trades Purcell (who was a buyout target for Tampa) rather than buying him out because he's older and would be a 2/3 buyout.  Now he has Gagner, who I guess they weren't terribly interested in.  Then instead of buying out Gagner (which would only be 1/3 buyout because of his young age), Yzerman trades him while retaining salary equivalent to a buyout, but gets a 6th rounder for his troubles.   

I'm not super familiar with Tampa but aren't they neck deep in good young forwards?  So they don't have much of a need for Gagner and Yzerman is trying to clear space immediately.  

#225 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:22 AM

It's sounding like the most important goal was cap space before the free agent market opened.  So Yzerman trades Purcell (who was a buyout target for Tampa) rather than buying him out because he's older and would be a 2/3 buyout.  Now he has Gagner, who I guess they weren't terribly interested in.  Then instead of buying out Gagner (which would only be 1/3 buyout because of his young age), Yzerman trades him while retaining salary equivalent to a buyout, but gets a 6th rounder for his troubles.   

I'm not super familiar with Tampa but aren't they neck deep in good young forwards?  So they don't have much of a need for Gagner and Yzerman is trying to clear space immediately.  

THIS.  All important information.  How things really work for GMs.

This is also a good article summarizing the transactions:

http://www.cbc.ca/sp...izona-1.2691553

Trading Gagner, who has two years left on his contract at a cap hit of $4.8 million, now was important to Edmonton because his no-trade clause was set to kick in July 1. Coyotes general manager Don Maloney said he got a call from Oilers counterpart Craig MacTavish early Sunday, but by the time he called back to discuss Gagner there was already a verbal agreement with Lightning GM Steve Yzerman on a trade to Tampa Bay.

By sending Purcell, a 28-year-old winger, to the Oilers, the Lightning shed themselves of his $4.5 million cap hit over the next two seasons. The St. John's, N.L., native has 228 points in 401 regular-season games and 18 in 22 playoff games.

The Lightning were prepared to buy out Gagner's contract, but that plan was put on hold when Maloney expressed interest in the London, Ont., native whom the Coyotes coveted for some time, but saw his salary as a bit too rich for their blood. Still, they wanted to get something done.

"[The Lightning] were trying to free up some cap space to do some other things, which, obviously, they did when they traded Teddy Purcell," Maloney said on a conference call late Sunday night.

"Basically, we hung up the phone, I said [to Yzerman], 'I'm going to have a beer, you go have a glass of wine and if you can come up with an idea, call me back."'

Maloney and his staff came up with the idea of putting gritty winger B.J. Crombeen and his $1.15-million cap hit in the trade and it got done once Tampa Bay agreed to retain one-third of Gagner's salary and cap hit, which would have been the price had he been bought out.

"Obviously, Edmonton got what they needed, what they wanted and a real talented player in Teddy Purcell," Maloney said.

"Tampa received what they needed to free up a lot of cap space, they get a draft asset and we got what we wanted and we're searching for is a young, skilled centre-iceman in Sam Gagner and really a guy we've coveted for a while in B.J. Crombeen."

The Coyotes could have waited for Tuesday's start of the free-agent signing period to take a run at Gagner, but that wasn't a risk Maloney was willing to take.

"That concerned me," he said. "As we're looking and exploring how we help our centre ice and what's happening right now, it scared me to death."

So the Coyotes paid a small price in the form of a sixth-rounder in next year's draft to make it happen and not worry about paying a free-agent premium or losing Gagner to another team.

"It came together in a hurry," Maloney said. "I think there's three of us that feel pretty good about our day so far."

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#226 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:34 AM

So they wanted cap space and yet they retained a 1.15 million cap for Gagner. Why was that a good move? I think he could have at least gotten someone to take gagner's full salary.

#227 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,055 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:39 AM

I'm so lost right now.

Edit: literally, I can't find my car.

Edited by Echolalia, 30 June 2014 - 10:40 AM.

#228 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:40 AM

So they wanted cap space and yet they retained a 1.15 million cap for Gagner. Why was that a good move? I think he could have at least gotten someone to take gagner's full salary.

Tampa retained salary (real monies) not cap (cba monies)  Also, limited time... Gagner has a NTC that kicks in on July 1.

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#229 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:46 AM

Per Ansar: Wings made qualifying offers to Danny DeKeyser, Tomas Tatar, Riley Sheahan, Adam Almquist, Landon Ferraro, Mitch Callahan and A. Nestrasil.

#230 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:49 AM

Per Ansar: Wings made qualifying offers to Danny DeKeyser, Tomas Tatar, Riley Sheahan, Adam Almquist, Landon Ferraro, Mitch Callahan and A. Nestrasil.

To piggy-back

Ansar Khan @AnsarKhanMLive 1m

Wings did not qualify Cory Emmerton, Gleason Fournier, Max Nicastro, Trevor Parkes and Willie Coetzee, relinquishing their rights.

NO MORE EMDOG!!!

#231 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:37 AM

Those pesky NTC/NMC's

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie 11m

Josh Gorges situation in MTL problematic for all. MTL had deal with TOR but Gorges refused to waive modified NTC to go to TOR. Still won't.

#232 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:49 AM

Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger 41m

"@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Tim Gleason, Anton Volchenkov and Shane O'Brien put on unconditional waivers today". Jovo also cleared.

Added to the free agent pool.

Last day for buyouts.

Edited by e_prime, 30 June 2014 - 11:53 AM.

#233 krsmith17

krsmith17

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:55 AM

I'm not sure if it's good or bad that all these bottom pairing defensemen are getting bought out. I definitely don't want any of these guys, I just hope Kenny feels the same way and his priority remains with one of the big name guys. We desperately need a right handed defenseman so for me I want Niskanen and if that doesn't pan out I want Gilbert, then Boyle. All these defensemen being added to this years UFA class can be a good thing, lowering the asking price for the top guys a little. However, it could also be a bad thing, because for every team buying out one of these players, there is a new team added to the list that need a defenseman...

#234 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:15 PM

Off the top of my head, they have Brett Connolly and Jonathan Drouin at forward who should be good players.  Not sure on who else they have, but those guys could be top 6.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#235 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:22 PM

That's how you form good working relationships with other teams GM's.  Sometimes you gotta do another team a favor to ultimately get what you needed in the first place and not necessarily help a team that you don't like, or are a rival with.  Example, Yzerman buys out Gagner and he signs with Florida or Washington.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#236 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:27 PM

Not as big as some of the other names here, but it appears Detroit is going to bring back McCollum. I don't mind it, but I hope he doesn't get in the way of Mrazek playing 50-60 games.

http://www.mlive.com...gning_goal.html

#237 arag

arag

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 780 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:43 PM

More D entering UFA market. Devils buying out Volchenkov.

#238 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,055 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:50 PM

Not as big as some of the other names here, but it appears Detroit is going to bring back McCollum. I don't mind it, but I hope he doesn't get in the way of Mrazek playing 50-60 games.

http://www.mlive.com...gning_goal.html

This is good. He struggled early on in his pro career, but McCollum has really settled in and could still make something of himself. The Wings are pretty saturated in net for the foreseeable future, but if he can keep developing the way he has, this kid could be a decent trading chip down the road.

#239 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:53 PM

Tampa retained salary (real monies) not cap (cba monies)  Also, limited time... Gagner has a NTC that kicks in on July 1.

Ohhhh! thanks, I thought it would count against the cap. CBA rules are difficult!

#240 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:17 PM

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie 4m

MTL acquires P.A Parenteau from COL. I believe Daniel Briere is headed to COL in return.