Photo
* * * - - 3 votes

2014 Offseason League Signings and Trades

• Please log in to reply
1738 replies to this topic

#1421 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:42 AM

some news in that just may have a few here hoping, the Bruins need to shed some $ and one Johnny Boychuk could be in play!!!!

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#1422 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:37 AM

some news in that just may have a few here hoping, the Bruins need to shed some $ and one Johnny Boychuk could be in play!!!!

That's great but now that we panic signed Quincey I'm not sure where he fits.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#1423 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:18 AM

That's great but now that we panic signed Quincey I'm not sure where he fits.

Agreed.  I would have been much more confident that Holland was going to do something smart by doing nothing after not being able to land Ehrhoff, Boyle, Stralman, or Niskanen. 

Was it really necessary to sign Q on July 1?  He wouldn't be there July 15th?  Aug 15th?

We weren't worried about getting signed Alfie yesterday?  Q is that important.

No.  Pure Panic Move.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#1424 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:40 AM

Agreed.  I would have been much more confident that Holland was going to do something smart by doing nothing after not being able to land Ehrhoff, Boyle, Stralman, or Niskanen. 

Was it really necessary to sign Q on July 1?  He wouldn't be there July 15th?  Aug 15th?

We weren't worried about getting signed Alfie yesterday?  Q is that important.

No.  Pure Panic Move.

Yeah Holland signed Quincey just to say he did something.  Nobody is snatching him up and if they do, so what?  I'm quite certain you can get someone else to do just as good (or bad).  Alfredsson should have been more of a priority than resigning Quincey.  These types of signings hurt the teams image.  "We didn't get the type of player we wanted, so we re-signed the garbage we were going to let go."  Yeah, watch the UFAs just come sprinting to us now.  :glare:

#1425 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:46 AM

"I don't know why they don't want to come here." = Ken Holland, July 1, 2014

Is he talking about free agents or Joe Louis Arena in October and November?

I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#1426 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,692 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:49 AM

Quincey was totally a panic signing. Worst case scenario we had Kindl and all the kids in GR. We weren't going to go into the year with 2 rookies in the D core regardless.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#1427 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:09 AM

CapGeek @capgeek 2m

Brooks Orpik's deal includes $5M in signing bonuses. http://capgeek.com/player/489  #Caps

That's a lot of dough for Brooks.  $32.5million in total.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#1428 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:59 AM

CapGeek ‏@capgeek 2m
Brooks Orpik's deal includes $5M in signing bonuses. http://capgeek.com/player/489  #Caps

That's a lot of dough for Brooks.  $32.5million in total.

Worst signing of July 1st for sure.

#1429 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:03 AM

Would green not be available from Washington now that they signed two d-men

#1430 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,564 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:07 AM

I don't really see it that way.  He's getting over-paid, for sure.  But Washington is getting a hard hitting, defense first (god knows they need defense), Stanley Cup winner, two time Olympian, and team leader, to anchor Trotz' defense first system. 

More importantly, mildly overpaying for Orpik may well have helped Washington win out on Niskanen, and the combination of both signings puts Washington back on the map after a couple lackluster years. 

One thing that nobody is talking about (and I admit this is purely speculation), is that both Niskanen and Orpik went to Washington together.  They played together all season in Pittsburgh, and they both went to the same team.  One which nobody had predicted prior to yesterday. 

I'm not saying they did the Suter-Parise buddies thing.  But I'd be surprised if the two weren't influenced by each others' willingness to sign with the Caps. 

Edited by kipwinger, 02 July 2014 - 09:07 AM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#1431 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:11 AM

No, KFQ at $4.25M/year was.

#1432 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,650 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:16 AM

Orpik is light years better than Quincey. He's thrown away like garbage from every team he plays for.

Except the Wings if course. We're more inclined to give him a raise.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#1433 sjr2012

sjr2012

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:30 AM

I still think we have plenty of days left tomake a massive move In the right direction but iworry yesterday set the example

try to get something by me i dare you

:goalie:

#1434 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,564 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:49 AM

And this, in a nutshell, is the problem. 

"We made pitches to a number of defensemen," general manager Ken Holland said. "For a variety of reasons, they opted to go elsewhere. I don't know why they're not coming here."

No Ken.  They opted to go elsewhere for one reason.  Detroit is not realistically competing for a Stanley Cup any time soon.  We've barely made the playoffs lately.  A variety of reasons have contributed to that fact.  Largely, that you're a miserly, penny pinching, son of a ***** who is utterly befuddled by the player acquisition part of your job. 

He seriously makes it seem like EVERY free agent signed somewhere else entirely by chance.  Pure happenstance kept everyone away Kenny, you betcha. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#1435 BigWinston

BigWinston

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:09 AM

And this, in a nutshell, is the problem. 

"We made pitches to a number of defensemen," general manager Ken Holland said. "For a variety of reasons, they opted to go elsewhere. I don't know why they're not coming here."

No Ken.  They opted to go elsewhere for one reason.  Detroit is not realistically competing for a Stanley Cup any time soon.  We've barely made the playoffs lately.  A variety of reasons have contributed to that fact.  Largely, that you're a miserly, penny pinching, son of a ***** who is utterly befuddled by the player acquisition part of your job. 

I won't pretend to know why. But its more than likely for a combination of reasons.  Chances of winning the cup, how they see themselves fitting in to the team and area, ownership/management, and of course, money.

Before yesterday, I don't think the Capitals, TBL, Cannucks or Wild had a better chance of winning the cup than the Wings (if they do, its negligible), but managed to sign some big name FA's. so I doubt its just that. Also, KH may be tight fisted, but supposedly did offer good money to players we were genuinely interested in.

If I was a FA thinking about coming here, one of the things that might put me off is the (for want of a better term) "homerism" for home grown talent - if you weren't drafted here, you're almost like a second-class citizen.  Also, what FA's have come here and excelled since Hossa?  FA's don't seem to gel or perform here for some reason - be it the system, quality of talent we have acquired recently, etc.

Finally, any decent company to work for identifies the need to hire and keep key talent.  They all run investigations and programs to ensure they are successfully doing this.  If I were KH I'd be investigating why players are choosing elsewhere, not just throwing my hands up in the air and lamenting that I don't understand their reasoning.

Edited by BigWinston, 02 July 2014 - 10:22 AM.

#1436 sjr2012

sjr2012

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:13 AM

I don't think any big name talent wants to take a backseat to names like cleary and bert

try to get something by me i dare you

:goalie:

#1437 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:49 AM

Good read from Lyle Richardson that the Caps, Hawks and Flyers are in deep when it comes to cap room:

http://www.thehockey...eir-cap-crunch/

14767451334_8f0d14d8cb_o.jpg

#1438 _SP_

_SP_

Rookie

• Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:26 AM

Remember, we went into last season with the same issues.  And there were obvious ways around it.  I wholeheartedly believe that all three of those teams will find a way to keep their core together without cap issues. Heck, look at what Brad Richards did to sign there-- that was a "I want a championship" move!  Other guys get bought out and still sign ridiculously high deals (Lecavalier, anyone?).  He considered the buyout as part of his current salary...  Could you imagine our cap flexibility if Lecavalier signed here last year for $2-3M per year instead of Weiss at $4.9M?  The team could have paid Vanek or Stastny big dollars and been more than well off.  At some point, these guys need to stop being greedy and think about their chances of a Cup, like Richards did.

#1439 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:39 AM

Toronto def shopping Cody Franson. He his a name the Wings have been linked to before. What do you guys think?

#1440 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:49 AM

Steve Downey signed a one year deal with Pitt per Mckenzie.