• Please log in to reply
1816 replies to this topic

#1581 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,769 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:02 PM

Sorry but Volchenkov is NOT better than Quincey.  Some peoples hatred is blinding...

He's approaching his mid-30s with significant injury history from making his living blocking shots and playing an abrasive style with ZERO offensive upside.

It's like he fills all our needs!  :confused:

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#1582 arag

arag

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 771 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:11 PM

Towers and Kane extended for 8 years per NHL.com. Don't know the terms.

#1583 krsmith17

krsmith17

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:13 PM

Toews and Kane signed identical 8 year, $10.5M contracts...

Anyone else feel that the Hawks could be screwed cap wise in the near future?...

#1584 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:14 PM

Anyone else feel that the Hawks could be screwed cap wise in the near future?...

https://twitter.com/...918616093179905

Edited by PumpkinEscobar, 09 July 2014 - 12:17 PM.

#1585 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:15 PM

Here's a source:

@DarrenDreger: 8 year extensions for Kane and Toews. $10.5 mil aav each.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#1586 arag

arag

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 771 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:15 PM

Future is next year. They have many RFAs and important UFAs to sign.

#1587 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,769 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:20 PM

It's like deja vu...

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#1588 Sprsquirt7

Sprsquirt7

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:24 PM

Just ask the penguins how easy it is to have quality depth when you pay two players max contracts. There is a reason why the penguins have failed repeatedly. The hawks are better off than the penguins because they actually seem to draft properly, but it will be difficult to find quality 3rd and 4th liners that aren't literal plugs. But on the other hand you cannot let Toews and Kane walk ever if you are the Blackhawks.

#1589 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,623 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:25 PM

Yes, I would say they screwed up.  I guess this upcoming season is going to be their one window to win it all...

As of right now, they only have $3.2M in cap space with only 15 players under contract.  They most definitely will NOT be re-signing Richards.  I believe Hossa's days are numbered there as well.  They could very well lose Oduya as well.  He is a UFA after next season and currently makes $3.375M.  He will most definitely get a raise and they just don't have the space.  Even if the axed Hossa's $5.2M that is only $8.4M with 14 players signed...kind of hard to get 10 players signed for $8.4M especially if you give Oduya the raise he will earn.  (I would say at least $4.5M and that would be a home team discount.)

I will take Hossa and Oduya from them whenever they are ready! :lol:

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#1590 krsmith17

krsmith17

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:26 PM

Only this time I don't see how they can keep half of their guys, including part of their core. They're going to have to get rid of one or two of Hosse, Sharp, Keith or Seabrook after this season, no question.

#1591 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:29 PM

Just ask the penguins how easy it is to have quality depth when you pay two players max contracts. There is a reason why the penguins have failed repeatedly. The hawks are better off than the penguins because they actually seem to draft properly, but it will be difficult to find quality 3rd and 4th liners that aren't literal plugs. But on the other hand you cannot let Toews and Kane walk ever if you are the Blackhawks.

Well, believe me, I'm not fan of the Hawks, or the Pens, but I think you're a little off base here.  Any team that has Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Kunitz, Jokkinen, Dupuis, Sutter, Niskanen, Letang, Morrow (for a year), Iginla (for a year), Orpik, Martin, Scuderi, et. al. SHOULD be competing for Cups.  There was no problem with their depth.  They just have a mediocre coach and they underperformed. 

As long as guys are willing to take less to play for contenders with top flight talent (as the recent signings of Ehrhoff and Richards suggest) then BOTH teams will continue to field competitive teams despite the money allocated to their star players.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#1592 anthonyn66

anthonyn66

Wings fan in Leaf Nation

• PipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:30 PM

People have been saying this for years...

#1593 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:32 PM

Only this time I don't see how they can keep half of their guys, including part of their core. They're going to have to get rid of one or two of Hosse, Sharp, Keith or Seabrook after this season, no question.

Couldn't they just move one or two of their second tier guys...like they did when they dumped Ladd, Versteeg, Big Buf?  If they dropped a combination of Bickell, Versteeg, Shaw, Oduya, and Hjalmarsson they'd shed a lot of money and they'd still be a really good team. 

I hate to say it, but the Hawks will be just fine. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#1594 Spongewingredpants

Spongewingredpants

Pragmatic Optimist

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:39 PM

two x 10.5 million is nuts in my book but i guess they had no choice

164 million tied up for two players for 8 years. 

My wish: A healthy roster

#1595 krsmith17

krsmith17

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:52 PM

They're going to have to shed approximately 8 million off their cap next season, taking into account the cap rising another couple million next season. No, it probably wouldn't be impossible to keep their entire core together but it definitely won't be easy. If they do, they'll probably have the worst bottom 6 in the league, which isn't exactly ideal either. I think this is huge over payment, although I think the entire league is massively overpaid. So I guess it will be on par with similar players around the league will be making.

#1596 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,893 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:54 PM

It's funny how some people are freaking out over this. Seriously what they expect  without longterm contracts the caphit was for sure going to go up. Bioth of these guys -wheter you hate em of like em - have given 1,5 per discount that's a huge amount of money (12 million over 8 year x 2 = 24 million)

Btw. Crosby's caphit over 8 years = 10,8 so still the highest paid player in the league and rightfully so he is the best one.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#1597 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,769 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:55 PM

They're actually pretty fair contracts when you consider the comparables and the term of the contract and how the market might change.

Weber - 14mil

Crosby - 12mil (hometown discount)

Parise - 12mil

Suter - 12mil

Lundquist - 11mil

Ovechkin - 10mil

Datsyuk - 10mil

Giroux - 10mil

Kessel 10mil

They just weren't able to lower the cap-hit because they're still pretty young.

Vince Lombardi

#1598 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:04 PM

It's funny how some people are freaking out over this. Seriously what they expect  without longterm contracts the caphit was for sure going to go up. Bioth of these guys -wheter you hate em of like em - have given 1,5 per discount that's a huge amount of money (12 million over 8 year x 2 = 24 million)

Btw. Crosby's caphit over 8 years = 10,8 so still the highest paid player in the league and rightfully so he is the best one.

Is your period button broken?  Because this is not the first time I've seen you use commas instead of period when trying to write numbers in decimal notation. 

#1599 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:20 PM

It looks like these contracts will be the norm in the next couple of seasons with the cap raising. Makes a guy like Franzen "although he floats" extremely reasonably priced.

#1600 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:21 PM

Is your period button broken?  Because this is not the first time I've seen you use commas instead of period when trying to write numbers in decimal notation. 

Some other countries use that as decimals instead of "." My guess is he isn't from America?