• Please log in to reply
1711 replies to this topic

#1701 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,439 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:13 PM

I really don't get the people shaking their heads at COL in terms of dealing with O'Reilly.  Yes, he's coming off a career year, but that career year is nothing compared to the consistent years that the players earning the money he wants put up.

At first, I didn't understand at all how he could even have been making $6.5M, but then I remembered the offer sheet...that's how he got there to begin with.  So I decided to do a bit of checking.  I had a look at all the other players in the league with cap hits at or greater than $6.5M (he's now looking for $6.75M by the way, but my guess is that is to aim a bit high and let it come down a bit).  This is what I found:

26 forwards in the league at that level:

16 - have scored 40 or more goals or 100 or more points

4 - have scored 90 or more points

3 - have scored 80 or more points

That leaves the following 4 that haven't scored 40 goals or more than 80pts:

Toews - he has scored 34 goals and 76 pts, but I don't think we need to use stats to say that you can't compare to Toews

Bergeron - he's scored more than 30 goals 2 times and scored more than 60 points 5 times, 70+ points 2 times, selke winner - no comparison

Stastny - getting a bit more comparable, but he has scored 78 points in the NHL and another season with 70+ points as well + he signed his deal as a UFA...big difference

Koivu - this is the one I can't quite understand (i.e. why he's paid so much) - his stats are still better than O'Reilly's career year and he's consistently scored 20+ goals and has scored more than 70 points, but he still looks overpaid.

So, to me, O'Reilly and his 28 goal and 64 point career year don't seem to explain to me why he should be paid $6.5M.

#1702 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,525 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:44 PM

I really don't get the people shaking their heads at COL in terms of dealing with O'Reilly.  Yes, he's coming off a career year, but that career year is nothing compared to the consistent years that the players earning the money he wants put up.

At first, I didn't understand at all how he could even have been making $6.5M, but then I remembered the offer sheet...that's how he got there to begin with.  So I decided to do a bit of checking.  I had a look at all the other players in the league with cap hits at or greater than $6.5M (he's now looking for $6.75M by the way, but my guess is that is to aim a bit high and let it come down a bit).  This is what I found:

26 forwards in the league at that level:

16 - have scored 40 or more goals or 100 or more points

4 - have scored 90 or more points

3 - have scored 80 or more points

That leaves the following 4 that haven't scored 40 goals or more than 80pts:

Toews - he has scored 34 goals and 76 pts, but I don't think we need to use stats to say that you can't compare to Toews

Bergeron - he's scored more than 30 goals 2 times and scored more than 60 points 5 times, 70+ points 2 times, selke winner - no comparison

Stastny - getting a bit more comparable, but he has scored 78 points in the NHL and another season with 70+ points as well + he signed his deal as a UFA...big difference

Koivu - this is the one I can't quite understand (i.e. why he's paid so much) - his stats are still better than O'Reilly's career year and he's consistently scored 20+ goals and has scored more than 70 points, but he still looks overpaid.

So, to me, O'Reilly and his 28 goal and 64 point career year don't seem to explain to me why he should be paid $6.5M.

To me it's more a matter of Colorado mishandling the situation so badly that they were put in this position in the first place.  This is exactly what happens if you try and lowball good young talent.  As a 21 year old he was putting up 50+ pts. and was one of the better defensive forwards in the league and his team wanted to hold his feet over the fire.  There had to be a better way to satisfy him AND retain his services without completely alienating the kid.  Sadly, Colorado management didn't seem up to the task. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#1703 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,439 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:31 PM

I'll be honest, I have no idea what the negotiating was like a couple years ago, for either side.  At the time, he was coming off his first 3 years in the league in which he put up totals of 3 goals, 13 goals and 18 goals (along with 26 points, 26 points and 55 points).  Personally, I'd be worried about whether the 55 point total was a fluke or not, but he did look to have nice progression.  Historically, most teams in this situation end up paying for future potential and hope to see further development.  What I don't know is what the Avs were offering or what he was asking for at that time.  If the Avs were low balling him, I'd agree with you, not something you want to do, but if they were offering something reasonable and he was asking for something unreasonable, I'd have a different tune.  There is no way he was worth the contract he signed though and now the Avs look bad in trying to bring him back to something that's more realistic.

As you say, if they low balled him a couple years ago, that's where the problem comes from.

#1704 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,525 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:45 PM

I'll be honest, I have no idea what the negotiating was like a couple years ago, for either side.  At the time, he was coming off his first 3 years in the league in which he put up totals of 3 goals, 13 goals and 18 goals (along with 26 points, 26 points and 55 points).  Personally, I'd be worried about whether the 55 point total was a fluke or not, but he did look to have nice progression.  Historically, most teams in this situation end up paying for future potential and hope to see further development.  What I don't know is what the Avs were offering or what he was asking for at that time.  If the Avs were low balling him, I'd agree with you, not something you want to do, but if they were offering something reasonable and he was asking for something unreasonable, I'd have a different tune.  There is no way he was worth the contract he signed though and now the Avs look bad in trying to bring him back to something that's more realistic.

As you say, if they low balled him a couple years ago, that's where the problem comes from.

This could be total bulls***, but I remember at the time that O'Reilly was looking for the same money as Duchene was going to get (3.5 mil) and Colorado didn't want to give that to him so he wasn't signing.  Hard to blame him if that was the case considering he was probably the better all around player after their first 3 years, but again, that could all be b.s. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#1705 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,566 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:25 PM

There are three D-men out there that for the life of me, I cannot figure out why they aren't signed somewhere yet... Derek Morris, Michael Del Zotto and Ryan Whitney... These guys are very solid guys who could help any of the 30 teams out there...

#KFQ

Don't Be Jealous Because I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#1706 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,726 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:51 PM

For me it is easy to side with O'Reilly here:

The Avs just didn't handle him well, so the relationship went sore soon and now they are willing to do the same thing again ? Is O'Reilly worth 6,5 per right now ? Probably not but he could very well be worth it in the future. Also keep in mind if a player signs an offer-sheet he is basically telling the team: "ok this is going to be my pricetag going forward"...if the team matches => the player and agent will think "good they are fine with it"

Nobody could have predicted that stupid "internal cap structure" Duchene is the excemption, yes, he is a better player than Ryan but he really took an underpaid contract guy would have gotten 6,5+ on the open market, same goes for Landeskog. But expecting every player to fall into that cap structure will soon lead to a disaster, Statsny didn't want to do it and neither does O'Reilly which to me is completely understandable, I wouldn't either (1 million over lets say 6 years = 6 million less at the bank..), that's one heck of a beautiful house or 15 over the top cars.

Also keep in mind what type of message the Avs are sending out this summer, it's like: if you play for us you won't be allowed to make more than 6 AAV which won't work at all with an ever rising cap ..

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#1707 number9

number9

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:19 PM

There are three D-men out there that for the life of me, I cannot figure out why they aren't signed somewhere yet... Derek Morris, Michael Del Zotto and Ryan Whitney... These guys are very solid guys who could help any of the 30 teams out there...

#KFQ

The guy who couldn't crack the Florida Panthers lineup?

Sorry, Quincey > Whitney

#1708 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,884 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:22 PM

The guy who couldn't crack the Florida Panthers lineup?

Sorry, Quincey > Whitney

Quincey's probably better than all three of those guys.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#1709 arag

arag

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 750 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:11 PM

MDZ=Q. The deference will be that Del Zotto will play for a lot less and has a potential to better than Q.

#1710 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,023 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:39 PM

Quincey's probably better than all three of those guys.

It's a moot point since we have Quincey signed, but I definitely would've taken a flyer on Del Zotto with Babs teaching him. Guy has undeniable offensive talents, just needs some work in the d-zone.

#NOMOREKINDL

#1711 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,525 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:22 PM

It's a moot point since we have Quincey signed, but I definitely would've taken a flyer on Del Zotto with Babs teaching him. Guy has undeniable offensive talents, just needs some work in the d-zone.

We've already got one of those.  Any more and I'd have a heart attack every night watching them try to protect the puck. 

#1712 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:06 PM

Del Zotto is also 24! Most of our players have barely seen the NHL by that age and he's played 5 years. I think that things point to him turning things around and he could be a steal for someone. Just needs some good guidance.

As a side note, I think he's a good example of what can happen to a player when they don't play at least their first year in the AHL.