Photo
* * * - - 3 votes

2014 Offseason League Signings and Trades

• Please log in to reply
1816 replies to this topic

#1741 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:42 PM

I take it that all our roster spots are taken once DD signs up and if Alfie returns we have a full 23 man roster.

Do we think we will invite any FA's to camp to try and beat out anyone? And if so who would you like to see get

an invite for a try out. Dustin Penner is still unsigned, would give us a bit more size up front, and also id take a 

shot at Devon Setoguchi, fast right handed shot, cant work out why he is still unsigned 

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#1742 WingsallTheway

WingsallTheway

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:27 PM

I would pass on Setoguchi. Hate that guy, probably the biggest diver I've ever seen.

Penner I also don't see working out too well on the wings. Big, slow, lazy.... We have enough Franzens.

Not to shoot down your suggestions on these players lol, I would like to see some fresh blood on the team especially via tryout. 

Edited by WingsallTheway, 29 July 2014 - 06:29 PM.

wingsalltheway.jpg

Pavel datsyuk is the best player in the world because he snatches the puck from unsuspecting players and  follows it up by the simultaneous undressing of the defence pairing. The goalie then gives up, and flops like a fish. The end result is a calm skate back to his bench  where he can bask in the praise of his multiple girlfriends from the motherland.

#1743 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:52 PM

Penner benefitted from who he played with Setoguchi just isn't that good. Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Jurco, Tatar, Nyquist, Weiss, Franzen, Sheahan, and one of Alfredsson, Helm, or Abdelkader on the first 3 lines. Last spots Abdelkader, Helm, Miller are set, Cleary, Andersson, Glendening, Callahan, Ferraro fighting for a spot. That works for me without adding the garbage left in free agency. The only other move I want is Kindl for a pick to make room for a rookie, or a package to get a top end right handed d.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#1744 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,300 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:53 PM

I would pass on Setoguchi. Hate that guy, probably the biggest diver I've ever seen.

Penner I also don't see working out too well on the wings. Big, slow, lazy.... We have enough Franzens.

Not to shoot down your suggestions on these players lol, I would like to see some fresh blood on the team especially via tryout. 

Penner is such a weird one.  He was hot and cold in LA, but then seemed rejuvenated with the Ducks and was playing on the first line.  So naturally they trade him to Washington for a 4th round pick?

With the Ducks he had 32 points in 49 games and was a +22.  I'm a little leery of him though too because of his hot and cold nature.  I'd be afraid for whatever reason he'd be a bust in Detroit.  When motivated he's still a good player though. 

#1745 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:07 PM

I would invite Penner and Morris for sure...if we are inviting FA's to camp.

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#1746 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:19 PM

not sure if anyone posted that Gardiner re-signed with Toronto for $4.05M...he was a RFA defenseman.  So, this will probably be the starting point for DeKeyser.  He will more than likely get a similar contract.

#1747 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:01 AM

Penner is such a weird one.  He was hot and cold in LA, but then seemed rejuvenated with the Ducks and was playing on the first line.  So naturally they trade him to Washington for a 4th round pick?

With the Ducks he had 32 points in 49 games and was a +22.  I'm a little leery of him though too because of his hot and cold nature.  I'd be afraid for whatever reason he'd be a bust in Detroit.  When motivated he's still a good player though. 

From what I heard the Ducks knew he was only scoring because of his linemates, knew they wouldn't re-sign him, so they traded him when they thought they could get decent value for him.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#1748 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,816 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:06 AM

not sure if anyone posted that Gardiner re-signed with Toronto for $4.05M...he was a RFA defenseman.  So, this will probably be the starting point for DeKeyser.  He will more than likely get a similar contract.

Yup - count me in as surprised that not many here seem to have noticed this as well...

While watching the Brewer game last night - it flashed across the bottom of the screen...When checking out TSN here  - http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=458259

It looks like a deal that DD will want as well (something along the pay, but maybe 1 year more, or maybe 1 year less in term).

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#1749 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:15 AM

Gardiner has more than 1 season under his belt.  DeKeyser should get the exact same contract as Tatar.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#1750 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:29 AM

I'd take Setoguchi, just so that when we sign Alfredsson they'll be able to join together and form the world's funniest sounding duo...Alfie and the Gooch. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#1751 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:51 AM

Z - I agree with you, and I hope the cap hit stays somewhere around Tatar's, that way there is money left over for a trade deadline acquisition... :lol: Did I just say that? Anyhow, I do hope it is close to Tatar, but I got a feeling its going to be more towards Gardiner... I guess if he signs for 4-5 years @ $4.2Mish I could be ok with that, considering the money Holland has given Quincey.  I know Q has more seniority in the league, but Danny is better already. I hope that Danny signs one of those homer discounts to remain here forever and be part of (hopefully) a core that is going to grow into the next Dynasty.

#1752 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,816 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:51 PM

Gardiner has more than 1 season under his belt.  DeKeyser should get the exact same contract as Tatar.

True - however he's been bounced between the Marlies & Leafs where DD has spent the majority of his time in Detroit (other than the Griffins playoff run last year).

I personally wouldn't consider negating DD based on his games played, but what the quality of those games he played...He's been arguably our #2 Dman on most nights...He'll probably get a big raise, but ya never know.

#1753 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,816 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:03 PM

Z - I agree with you, and I hope the cap hit stays somewhere around Tatar's, that way there is money left over for a trade deadline acquisition... :lol: Did I just say that? Anyhow, I do hope it is close to Tatar, but I got a feeling its going to be more towards Gardiner... I guess if he signs for 4-5 years @ $4.2Mish I could be ok with that, considering the money Holland has given Quincey.  I know Q has more seniority in the league, but Danny is better already. I hope that Danny signs one of those homer discounts to remain here forever and be part of (hopefully) a core that is going to grow into the next Dynasty.

I'm thinking it will be roughly the same amount that Gardiner had signed for...Nothing against Gardiner, but of the 2 players - DD, and Gardiner - who's played a greater role for their respective team?

#1754 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:13 PM

Stars sign defenseman Derek Meech to a standard AHL contract.

Nill, you sly dog.

Edited by Jesusberg, 30 July 2014 - 01:13 PM.

#1755 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,300 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:11 PM

Nill, you sly dog.

That was to the AHL team, in January.

#1756 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:01 PM

I'm thinking it will be roughly the same amount that Gardiner had signed for...Nothing against Gardiner, but of the 2 players - DD, and Gardiner - who's played a greater role for their respective team?

Gardiner?  He plays in every situation, ranked 2nd among his entire team in minutes/game and is relied on heavily for his offense and puck moving ability.

Dekeyser is a good player who we need but Gardiner plays a much larger role on his team.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#1757 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:40 PM

That was to the AHL team, in January.

He signed with them, again. I know it's with Texas, but that compromises my joke. Joke killer. Pssh...

#1758 kliq

kliq

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:21 PM

Interesting article on the Tatar signing in the Washington Post http://www.washingto...roit-red-wings/

#1759 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:28 PM

Not going to point fingers, but ppl around here were mad at Holland for not chasing Gleason.

Bought out by the Leafs now.

Glad Holland didn't pull that trigger.

#1760 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:44 PM

Interesting article on the Tatar signing in the Washington Post http://www.washingto...roit-red-wings/

I love these analytics they use now. Using math and science instead of gut feelings is looking like the next big wave in the NHL.

I personally have been very high on Tatar and was never for him being traded in any package for a defenseman. He has a quick release, he is a fast skater and most of all his tenacious compete level is something I noticed every time he was on the ice. He also plays with a lot of heart. My favorite moment of last season is when he played when his dad died. I went to that game (which was in LA) and it was an amazing moment when he scored and pointed to the rafters. I'm telling you 2.75M is nothing for a player with his intangibles.

Edited by Datsyukian-Deke, 30 July 2014 - 11:45 PM.