• Please log in to reply
1816 replies to this topic

#1761 nawein

nawein

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:06 AM

I love these analytics they use now. Using math and science instead of gut feelings is looking like the next big wave in the NHL.

I personally have been very high on Tatar and was never for him being traded in any package for a defenseman. He has a quick release, he is a fast skater and most of all his tenacious compete level is something I noticed every time he was on the ice. He also plays with a lot of heart. My favorite moment of last season is when he played when his dad died. I went to that game (which was in LA) and it was an amazing moment when he scored and pointed to the rafters. I'm telling you 2.75M is nothing for a player with his intangibles.

I like how you went from talking about loving that things are going towards math and science and away from gut feelings, and then wrote an entire paragraph on how this is a steal because of several gut feelings. Not saying that I disagree with you I just thought it was funny.

Great deal. But for the record I'd still package him for a good young top2/4 dman.

#1762 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:21 AM

Gardiner?  He plays in every situation, ranked 2nd among his entire team in minutes/game and is relied on heavily for his offense and puck moving ability.

Dekeyser is a good player who we need but Gardiner plays a much larger role on his team.

I think Gardiner has a ton of upside - however is it me, or did it seem as though he was in Carlyle's doghouse for much of the past 2 seasons?

It's why I'm thinking his role with the Leafs seems limited, and it's why he continues to be mentioned in trade rumors. 

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#1763 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,010 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:30 AM

For whatever reason (boredom, schadenfreude, actual interest-take your pick) I am fascinated* with this situation:

@THNKenCampbell: Canadiens playing a dangerous game with P.K. Subban. My blog. http://t.co/qQEO7rdmMW

*exaggeration

I don't blame the Habs org for not wanting to pay an RFA 8.5 mil, but how do you not botch this relationship if they do, as the article suggests, take him to arbitration twice? Is he going to want to stay a Hab as UFA if his RFA negotiations are always tense?

Because I would looooove to have P.K. in a Wings uni...

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#1764 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:33 AM

I like how you went from talking about loving that things are going towards math and science and away from gut feelings, and then wrote an entire paragraph on how this is a steal because of several gut feelings. Not saying that I disagree with you I just thought it was funny.

Great deal. But for the record I'd still package him for a good young top2/4 dman.

Nothing I said was a gut feeling. Everything I said were observations of watching him play. A gut feeling would be if I said " i feel like he will score 40 goals some day". Nothing like that was said.

Edited by Datsyukian-Deke, 31 July 2014 - 11:34 AM.

#1765 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:47 AM

For whatever reason (boredom, schadenfreude, actual interest-take your pick) I am fascinated* with this situation:

@THNKenCampbell: Canadiens playing a dangerous game with P.K. Subban. My blog. http://t.co/qQEO7rdmMW

*exaggeration

I don't blame the Habs org for not wanting to pay an RFA 8.5 mil, but how do you not botch this relationship if they do, as the article suggests, take him to arbitration twice? Is he going to want to stay a Hab as UFA if his RFA negotiations are always tense?

Because I would looooove to have P.K. in a Wings uni...

PK has routinely expressed that he wants to be a Habs lifer. I think that's why he was willing to sign that last bargain deal. I'm betting he stays

#1766 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,775 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:57 PM

I think Gardiner has a ton of upside - however is it me, or did it seem as though he was in Carlyle's doghouse for much of the past 2 seasons?

It's why I'm thinking his role with the Leafs seems limited, and it's why he continues to be mentioned in trade rumors. 

He had a breakout year this past season and isn't mentioned in any rumours nowadays. He was before but so is everyone in Toronto at one point or another when they struggle.

Among most of their fan-base, he's one of the few untouchables now.  He does not seem like a "Carlyle-type player" and that's where most of the rumours stem from.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#1767 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:12 PM

I thought it was Gunnarsson that Carlyle didn't like?  As I recall everyone in "the center of the hockey universe" (puke) thinks Gardiner is the second coming of...um....second coming of...Dion?

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#1768 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,624 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:12 PM

I find it funny that after all the hoopla Justin Shultz is still unsigned in Edmonton.  Has anyone heard any rumblings going on with him?  Not that we could afford to add him to our roster, but I just thought it very funny that Edmonton "won" the sweepstakes and haven't yet tied him down for another 3 contract.  I would, of course, rather have him than either Q or K...

Also, I see that Jeremy Welsh signed a minor league two-way contract with St. Louis for $550,000.  Damn, I sure would've liked to have him the organization.  Its only a one year though, maybe he could be one of those depth signings next season that Holland likes to do.  He would have been a nice invite to training camp as well if he hadn't signed in St. Louis.  They got them a nice solid depth player.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#1769 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,903 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:46 PM

He had a breakout year this past season and isn't mentioned in any rumours nowadays. He was before but so is everyone in Toronto at one point or another when they struggle.

Among most of their fan-base, he's one of the few untouchables now.  He does not seem like a "Carlyle-type player" and that's where most of the rumours stem from.

The Problem is a Carlyle type player as ard to define as they come. One would assume Perry or Getzlaf were Carlyle type players but no, he butted heads with of them. Carlyle wants players who compete and compete hard I get that but he never ever mentions HOW they should compete. It's like a teacher telling his students to correct their mistakes but not now << 0 learning effect.

Also keep in mind this is Leafs Nation, they can go from Norris predictions to worst player ever! in a span of two games. Gardiner is a fine young kid he just needs to put his defensive game first and then think about the offense. I mean the media and some fans there are already predicting that this Dubas guy is already calling the shots, ya sure with Shanahan as VP, Nonis as GM and him being on the job for about a week...unreal.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#1770 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:59 PM

I find it funny that after all the hoopla Justin Shultz is still unsigned in Edmonton.  Has anyone heard any rumblings going on with him?  Not that we could afford to add him to our roster, but I just thought it very funny that Edmonton "won" the sweepstakes and haven't yet tied him down for another 3 contract.  I would, of course, rather have him than either Q or K...

Also, I see that Jeremy Welsh signed a minor league two-way contract with St. Louis for $550,000.  Damn, I sure would've liked to have him the organization.  Its only a one year though, maybe he could be one of those depth signings next season that Holland likes to do.  He would have been a nice invite to training camp as well if he hadn't signed in St. Louis.  They got them a nice solid depth player.

DeKeyser is still unsigned with us, and we won the sweepstakes on him... What's your point?

So you weren't enthralled with the signings of all of the Nosek, Miele, Porter, Zengerle type players, but you wish we signed a 26 year old AHL checker with all of 25 NHL games on his resume?

#1771 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:12 PM

The Problem is a Carlyle type player as ard to define as they come. One would assume Perry or Getzlaf were Carlyle type players but no, he butted heads with of them. Carlyle wants players who compete and compete hard I get that but he never ever mentions HOW they should compete. It's like a teacher telling his students to correct their mistakes but not now << 0 learning effect.

For the record, Randy Carlyle is an impossibly awful coach. There've been countless looks into the matter (granted, with a fancy stats leaning), and they all scream that he doesn't know what the hell he's doing beyond telling his team to TRY HARDER!!! and BRING UP THEIR COMPETE LEVEL!!! and SHOW SOME HEART!!! and SLASH THE GUY!!! He won the Cup on the back of two generational defensemen in Niedermayer and Pronger and ever since then he's been exposed pretty much left and right, at least to anyone who bothers to really get into the numbers.

If I understand correctly, the "problems" with Gardiner stem from Carlyle not understanding what he has in Gardiner and not using him the way he ought to. The dumb-ass local media picks up on that, and suddenly he's a borderline "problem player" in many people's eyes. A kid who needs to "pay his dues" or something before The Coach can really trust him.

On that same note, Phaneuf is actually a really decent defenseman, not so different from Kronwall (aka the backbone of our own team at this point in time). Carlyle runs him into the ground, using him for a huge number of defensive zone starts when that's not necessarily his strong point. I give the guy credit. I don't know that there are many defensemen in this league who could take his spot and not look terribad.

On a side note, I hate that the Leafs are now making smart moves. What in the flying f*** is this world coming to when the Leafs have a better summer than the Wings?!

Don't Toews me, bro!

#1772 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,624 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:04 PM

DeKeyser is still unsigned with us, and we won the sweepstakes on him... What's your point?

So you weren't enthralled with the signings of all of the Nosek, Miele, Porter, Zengerle type players, but you wish we signed a 26 year old AHL checker with all of 25 NHL games on his resume?

Dekeyser was never really going anywhere else but Detroit. I guess there was an outside chance, but he said himself that there never really was any other contenders.

regarding Welsh, yes I do like all the other signings and I said Welsh could maybe be one if those signings next season when even more kids get promoted. He may only have 25 NHL games, but he us a solid AHL'r would could do spot injury time in the NHL. He would be very valuable within the organization as will be all of the signings this summer who may or may not see a Detroit uniform this season as well. Depth is a good thing.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#1773 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:46 PM

Dekeyser was never really going anywhere else but Detroit. I guess there was an outside chance, but he said himself that there never really was any other contenders.

regarding Welsh, yes I do like all the other signings and I said Welsh could maybe be one if those signings next season when even more kids get promoted. He may only have 25 NHL games, but he us a solid AHL'r would could do spot injury time in the NHL. He would be very valuable within the organization as will be all of the signings this summer who may or may not see a Detroit uniform this season as well. Depth is a good thing.

Justin Schultz was a holdout just to get where he was for his "sweepstakes".  I'm not sure anyone should be surprised he's not re-signed yet.  He went to Edmonton cause he knew with his extremely subpar defensive side of his game, he needed a team with god awful defense to be able to make the NHL roster without any competition.  Sure he's good on the PP, but aside from that his game is complete ass.

If we have injuries on D, I'd much prefer seeing Sproul, Ouellet and Marchenko get the nod.  Those 3 will be a big part of the Wings future no doubt and a 10 game sample for each this year could definitely be a good thing for the organization, hopefully with benchings of Kindl and Q as opposed to injuries.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#1774 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,043 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:49 PM

For the record, Randy Carlyle is an impossibly awful coach. There've been countless looks into the matter (granted, with a fancy stats leaning), and they all scream that he doesn't know what the hell he's doing beyond telling his team to TRY HARDER!!! and BRING UP THEIR COMPETE LEVEL!!! and SHOW SOME HEART!!! and SLASH THE GUY!!! He won the Cup on the back of two generational defensemen in Niedermayer and Pronger and ever since then he's been exposed pretty much left and right, at least to anyone who bothers to really get into the numbers.

Thank you. I say this all the time, Carlyle had 2 of the best defenceman to ever lace them up playing almost 30 mins a night on different pairs. I could've coached that team and won a cup. Plus they never get past us if our defense didn't look like - Lidstrom-Markov Quincey-Chelios Lilja-Lebda. And we forced em to 6 games and handed them a freebie in Game 5. (Carlye sucks and I still hate Anaheim)

#NOMOREKINDL

#1775 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,903 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:52 PM

Thank you. I say this all the time, Carlyle had 2 of the best defenceman to ever lace them up playing almost 30 mins a night on different pairs. I could've coached that team and won a cup. Plus they never get past us if our defense didn't look like - Lidstrom-Markov Quincey-Chelios Lilja-Lebda. And we forced em to 6 games and handed them a freebie in Game 5. (Carlye sucks and I still hate Anaheim)

While I fully agree with the two alltime defenders thing I definately disagree with the "anyone could have coached them" argument on the other side, just SOME coaching experience at the NHL level would have been enough to coach this team to the cup.

MLSE has enough money so if the Leafs suck again this season, Carlyle will be gone that's for sure.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#1776 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,974 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:11 AM

While I fully agree with the two alltime defenders thing I definately disagree with the "anyone could have coached them" argument on the other side, just SOME coaching experience at the NHL level would have been enough to coach this team to the cup.

MLSE has enough money so if the Leafs suck again this season, Carlyle will be gone that's for sure.

.....making room for Babcock :ninja:

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#1777 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:33 PM

The Canadiens are on the brink of a franchise altering mistake with P.K. Subban [Eyes on the Prize]

Don't Toews me, bro!

#1778 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:52 PM

I don't know why they're messing about with Subban so much. That bridge deal really killed them though. PK's going to get paid, whether it be now, or in 2 years time if he gets to free agency. 

temp 1

#1779 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:43 PM

I don't know why they're messing about with Subban so much. That bridge deal really killed them though. PK's going to get paid, whether it be now, or in 2 years time if he gets to free agency. 

Agreed.  Which side do you think had the most realistic estimate of his value for a one year contract? 

As a refresher, Subban was seeking $8.5 million, while the Canadiens countered with a one-year contract worth $5.25. 

http://www.thescore....nhl/news/547282

#1780 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:01 PM

McKenzie:

My uneducated opinion from afar: MTL likes, maybe really likes, Subban but doesn't LOVE him. And you have to LOVE someone at 8 x $8-9M+ per.

More importantly, I guess, IF Subban doesn't feel the love from MTL, how eager is he to re-up there for eight years? Gonna be interesting.

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie

Edited by Dabura, 01 August 2014 - 08:03 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!