I bet Mike Vernon gives P.K. a call.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#1782 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:14 PM

Agreed.  Which side do you think had the most realistic estimate of his value for a one year contract? 

http://www.thescore....nhl/news/547282

Well if you'd have asked me what I thought he was probably worth I would have said about $7.5 per. But $9? No way. Neither side really had a realistic estimate, but they never are for arbitration hearings. Still, it sounds like the Habs got killed by the bridge deal combined with taking PK to 2 arbitrations. Certainly doesn't help with the relationship. 

Now that they've got him signed, they'll be on the hook for driving up D men salaries for the next while also. 

temp 1

#1783 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:02 PM

It's not 2009 anymore. Why wouldn't you pay Subban 9 million? That's what superstars make. We can argue he has flaws but in the eyes of the league he is now top tier for what's available. Having only a handful of free agents every year because of long term contracts also drives up prices. Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#1784 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:26 PM

I think we all know by now and it's obvious that Holland is a respected man around the league but a terrible decision maker and was made to look like a hero when he took over a star-studded team that everyone wanted to play for and there were no cap concerns in stopping players from coming here. Well those glory days are over and we now see how truly incompetent Holland really is as a GM. I'm just wondering how long the Illitch family will be fooled into thinking he is still a top GM.

Another person on this board that has no idea how the Salary Cap works.

I was around here when the 2005 lockout was going on. I was only one of a few posters who didn't want a salary cap, because I knew it meant we couldn't go out an sign guys like Hull, or get Chelios at the deadline anymore.

The majority of people here wanted a salary cap, and now they expect things to still be like it was in 2001-02. Can't have it both ways.

not sure if anyone posted that Gardiner re-signed with Toronto for $4.05M...he was a RFA defenseman.  So, this will probably be the starting point for DeKeyser.  He will more than likely get a similar contract.

How many people have looked at the Leafs http://capgeek.com/mapleleafs/ they're in trouble next year!

Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#1785 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:14 PM

I was around here when the 2005 lockout was going on. I was only one of a few posters who didn't want a salary cap, because I knew it meant we couldn't go out an sign guys like Hull, or get Chelios at the deadline anymore.

The majority of people here wanted a salary cap, and now they expect things to still be like it was in 2001-02. Can't have it both ways.

How many people have looked at the Leafs http://capgeek.com/mapleleafs/ they're in trouble next year!

A salary cap is good for the entire league. Look at the nfl any team can win(as long as you're not owned by the fords, jones, or Davis families lol).

#1786 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,901 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:40 PM

I think we all know by now and it's obvious that Holland is a respected man around the league but a terrible decision maker and was made to look like a hero when he took over a star-studded team that everyone wanted to play for and there were no cap concerns in stopping players from coming here. Well those glory days are over and we now see how truly incompetent Holland really is as a GM. I'm just wondering how long the Illitch family will be fooled into thinking he is still a top GM.

not sure if anyone posted that Gardiner re-signed with Toronto for $4.05M...he was a RFA defenseman.  So, this will probably be the starting point for DeKeyser.  He will more than likely get a similar contract.

If we.could really lock him up for the same contract Holland has to do it no matter what.

Excellent posting in terms of the cap, I hated it the day it was implemented and will hate it till it's gone. Like we've seen time and time again - 3 times - it doesn't prevent lockouts ..

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#1787 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:37 AM

If we.could really lock him up for the same contract Holland has to do it no matter what.Excellent posting in terms of the cap, I hated it the day it was implemented and will hate it till it's gone. Like we've seen time and time again - 3 times - it doesn't prevent lockouts ..

I like the cap, but completely agree that it induces lockouts.

#1788 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,018 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:39 PM

Stephen WhynoVerified account @SWhyno

#Flyers sign defenceman Michael Del Zotto to 1-year contract.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#1789 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:07 PM

Stephen WhynoVerified account ‏@SWhyno
#Flyers sign defenceman Michael Del Zotto to 1-year contract.

May have something to do with the status of Kimmo Timmonen.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#1790 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:46 AM

$1.3m for the year

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#1791 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:28 PM

Ryan White has signed with the Flyers. 1 year, two-way deal.

http://prohockeytalk...flyers/related/
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#1792 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:51 PM

Ryan White has signed with the Flyers. 1 year, two-way deal.

http://prohockeytalk...flyers/related/

I thought he was a great role-player in MTL. Mind you I don't pay much attention to those "I think I'm better than the Wings losers". Surprised they didn't keep him. Kind of like our Glendening?

#1793 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,901 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:50 AM

Just looked it up Buffalo has top 5 picks (their own plus islanders) in one of the deepest drafts ever, so if things are working out perfectly for them they have a chance at McDavid and Eichel wow, that's damn scary.

kftx.jpg

#1794 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:59 PM

Just looked it up Buffalo has top 5 picks (their own plus islanders) in one of the deepest drafts ever, so if things are working out perfectly for them they have a chance at McDavid and Eichel wow, that's damn scary.

They'll find a way to f*** it up. Even if they draft both. 

temp 1

#1795 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,901 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:49 PM

I don't think so their owner is loaded with money and is their version of our own Mr. I. Their rebuild is exactly how should be done create a new core and add to it through the draft. Mark my words Buffal is going to be a damn scary game in a few years.

kftx.jpg

#1796 germanwing

germanwing

2nd Line Scorer

• Gold Booster
  • 576 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:54 PM

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie 

CGY signs Devin Setoguchi. One year. $750K AAV.

#1797 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 02:35 PM

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 

CGY signs Devin Setoguchi. One year. $750K AAV.

He's really gone down hill huh

#1798 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:44 PM

He's really gone down hill huh

And he's only 27, wow.

#1799 krsmith17

krsmith17

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:21 AM

These are the type of low risk, high reward signings that I wish Holland would make more often. I'm not saying that Setoguchi will come back to his '08-'09 form and put up over 60 points, especially with a s***ty Calgary team, but on a good team, I do think he is still capable of chipping in offensively. He's a big body, right handed shot that definitely could have put up 40+ points on this team. I know, I know, we already have an over loaded roster up front, but is there anybody that wouldn't take a gamble on this kid over at least 3 or 4 forwards on our current roster? I definitely would. Our bottom 6 is loaded with guys that haven't put up points Seto did in his worst year in their best year. Anyway I would have definitely taken a gamble on him for one season at 750K...

#1800 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:05 AM

These are the type of low risk, high reward signings that I wish Holland would make more often. I'm not saying that Setoguchi will come back to his '08-'09 form and put up over 60 points, especially with a s***ty Calgary team, but on a good team, I do think he is still capable of chipping in offensively. He's a big body, right handed shot that definitely could have put up 40+ points on this team. I know, I know, we already have an over loaded roster up front, but is there anybody that wouldn't take a gamble on this kid over at least 3 or 4 forwards on our current roster? I definitely would. Our bottom 6 is loaded with guys that haven't put up points Seto did in his worst year in their best year. Anyway I would have definitely taken a gamble on him for one season at 750K...

I probably wouldn't take a flyer on Setoguchi right now, because simply, where the hell would he play, and which one of our young guys would he block from making the team? 

Let's face it, Seto was on a fairly decent Jets team that had a good amount of talent (Ladd, Byfuglien, Little, Kane, Scheifele, Jokinen etc etc) so it's not like they were basement dwellers. Don't get me wrong, he's probably a good secondary player who can chip in a 50 point season, but his play is trending downwards. But more importantly, where would he play? We already have a log jam now with Cleary back and possibly the return of Alfie. One more guy just means its even less likely Jurco makes the team.

temp 1