• Please log in to reply
1816 replies to this topic

#1801 kliq

kliq

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:55 AM

These are the type of low risk, high reward signings that I wish Holland would make more often. I'm not saying that Setoguchi will come back to his '08-'09 form and put up over 60 points, especially with a s***ty Calgary team, but on a good team, I do think he is still capable of chipping in offensively. He's a big body, right handed shot that definitely could have put up 40+ points on this team. I know, I know, we already have an over loaded roster up front, but is there anybody that wouldn't take a gamble on this kid over at least 3 or 4 forwards on our current roster? I definitely would. Our bottom 6 is loaded with guys that haven't put up points Seto did in his worst year in their best year. Anyway I would have definitely taken a gamble on him for one season at 750K...

Specifically at Wing I wouldn't want this type of signing due to the log jam we already have, but I agree with your point. Look at Toronto last year with Mason Raymond.

Signing a D-man to a contact like this couldn't have hurt as long as its a 1 year deal, and doesn't result in any cap issues.

#1802 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,226 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:32 AM

These are the type of low risk, high reward signings that I wish Holland would make more often. I'm not saying that Setoguchi will come back to his '08-'09 form and put up over 60 points, especially with a s***ty Calgary team, but on a good team, I do think he is still capable of chipping in offensively. He's a big body, right handed shot that definitely could have put up 40+ points on this team. I know, I know, we already have an over loaded roster up front, but is there anybody that wouldn't take a gamble on this kid over at least 3 or 4 forwards on our current roster? I definitely would. Our bottom 6 is loaded with guys that haven't put up points Seto did in his worst year in their best year. Anyway I would have definitely taken a gamble on him for one season at 750K...

Would you prefer Setoguchi over Alfredsson?

#1803 krsmith17

krsmith17

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:50 AM

I think everyone is missing my point. No I wouldn't have liked if we signed him yesterday, because like myself and everyone after me pointed out, we just don't have the room on our current roster. And no I would not sign him over Alfredsson...

My point was that I wish Holland would make some more of these low risk, high reward signings (not necessarily this particular one) later in free agency, rather than striking out on the big fish and then rushing to sign average players to above average contracts.

Like kliq mentioned, the Leafs waited until the exact same day last year, September 23rd, to sign Mason Raymond to a one year, one million dollar contract and that turned out to possibly be the steal of the offseason last year. I'm aware that these contracts don't always pan out like teams would like but the point is, they're low risk but they have potential to be high reward. I don't think there is much of a chance that Setoguchi cashes in next year, simply because of the team he signed with, but on the right team, I do think he can still chip in offensively. Just my opinion...

#1804 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:53 AM

The 3rd line spot is the only real opening the Wings have.  I don't think Setoguchi would be an upgrade over Alfredsson, and there's a real possibility that he'd be a complete flop.  If I was going to take a chance on someone, I'd rather that they take a chance on one of their own rookies instead of a reclamation project.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#1805 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,173 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:02 PM

Anybody else see the irony of the pic for the article on his signing at tsn has him prone on the ice?
It's pronounced "Zim" not "Exim". Aw heck with it, just call me Scott.

#1806 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:33 PM

I think everyone is missing my point. No I wouldn't have liked if we signed him yesterday, because like myself and everyone after me pointed out, we just don't have the room on our current roster. And no I would not sign him over Alfredsson...

My point was that I wish Holland would make some more of these low risk, high reward signings (not necessarily this particular one) later in free agency, rather than striking out on the big fish and then rushing to sign average players to above average contracts.

Like kliq mentioned, the Leafs waited until the exact same day last year, September 23rd, to sign Mason Raymond to a one year, one million dollar contract and that turned out to possibly be the steal of the offseason last year. I'm aware that these contracts don't always pan out like teams would like but the point is, they're low risk but they have potential to be high reward. I don't think there is much of a chance that Setoguchi cashes in next year, simply because of the team he signed with, but on the right team, I do think he can still chip in offensively. Just my opinion...

Fair enough, and yea I do see what you're saying. Sometimes taking a flyer on guys like that does work, so I agree, sometimes it would be good to see the wings do that from time to time. 

temp 1

#1807 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:52 PM

Holland has done that in the past.  Del Zotto would have been a decent choice over Quincey, for example, but for whatever reason he hasn't wanted to in recent years.  Maybe that's more on Babcock though.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#1808 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:50 PM

Low risk high reward for the flames but man has this guy fallen since his best season.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#1809 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,914 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 05:10 PM

Holland could've waited (and waited) to re-sign Q until now. He missed out on the big names and pulled the trigger too quick on Q. I also think it would have cost about $1.5M less if he had waited. Even if Q left, he is easily replaced.

I still don't get why Morris hasn't signed anywhere. I must be missing something with him...

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#1810 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,064 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:20 PM

Holland could've waited (and waited) to re-sign Q until now. He missed out on the big names and pulled the trigger too quick on Q. I also think it would have cost about $1.5M less if he had waited. Even if Q left, he is easily replaced.

I still don't get why Morris hasn't signed anywhere. I must be missing something with him...

Derek Morris?  I still can't believe that jobber was traded for Chris Drury.  Beginning of the end for the Avalanche.  

Edited by GMRwings1983, 25 August 2014 - 06:20 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#1811 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:21 PM

Quincey likely would have been signed well before now

#1812 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,064 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:52 PM

Quincey likely would have been signed well before now

Yeah, because everyone wants a scrub who's scored 19 points in his last 136 games.    :dozing:

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#1813 kliq

kliq

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:48 AM

Yeah, because everyone wants a scrub who's scored 19 points in his last 136 games.    :dozing:

I don't think DickieDunn is saying that everyone would want Quincey, but rather that some team out there would have offered him a contract. I 100% agree with this, maybe not for the term/$$ the Wings offered, but there would have been at least 1 offer nearly 2 months into free agency.

#1814 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:50 AM

Mark Fayne says hi

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#1815 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:19 PM

Someone would have offered him a deal. They would be as wrong as Holland was to do it, but they would have. *sigh*

Edited by Jesusberg, 26 August 2014 - 02:19 PM.

#1816 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 06:44 AM

Damn there goes another guy I would have liked on a cheap contract Sheldon Brookbank signed to a PTO by the Calgary Flames this Calgary team is going to be something else wow http://www.chicagotr...0829-story.html

Edited by frankgrimes, 30 August 2014 - 06:44 AM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#1817 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:03 AM

Damn there goes another guy I would have liked on a cheap contract Sheldon Brookbank signed to a PTO by the Calgary Flames this Calgary team is going to be something else wow http://www.chicagotr...0829-story.html

If by so.ething else you mean one of the worst teams in league history, then yes they are.