• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
haroldsnepsts

Brad Richards bought out by Rangers

Rate this topic

If anything, that has been his one strength. Not that I want Richards, mind you.[/quote

I would strongly disagree, although I may reconsider based on how useless our power play has been. His points were based on the perimiter

the sad thing is, all these quality players becoming available and Holland is thinking about re-signing Cleary...horrible.

Yup, because he can only do one thing at a time. Talking to Cleary about a possible 2 way contract is the only thing he's working on.

So let me see if I got this correct. The rags buyout Richards. He is younger than Franzen, scored more goals this past year for Franzen, plys better D than Franzen, plays n more games than franzen, and had an equally long and bad contact. But we can't buyout Franzen? Please try to support that now! can't be done. This is what buyouts are to be used for, not TooToo.

Trade Weiss and Kindl for Edler (they will need a center when after they trade Kesler) and sign Richards and Stralman.

Nobody wants Kindl OR Weiss. There are about 11 wings fans who even like either one of these players, what makes one think another GM would rightfully trade one of their best assets for them both.

To get Edler, we would have to give up an actual defenceman such as Ericsson or dekeyser, along with a high end prospect and maybe even a pick

Edited by WingsallTheway

If Richards can produce at around .75ppg pace he would be worth a 2 year contract imo. We could use another C. Its not like we are expecting him to be a top 6 C - he can just play up and down the top 9 and fill in if any of our big guns get injured. When you look at the numbers he put up for the Rags without considering the 6.7mill cap hit he is still an effective player - just not at 6.7mill. As someone said - Richards is more effective than Franzen currently.

2 years x 4mill - hopefully we have a young C ready by that time.

So let me see if I got this correct. The rags buyout Richards. He is younger than Franzen, scored more goals this past year for Franzen, plys better D than Franzen, plays n more games than franzen, and had an equally long and bad contact. But we can't buyout Franzen? Please try to support that now! can't be done. This is what buyouts are to be used for, not TooToo.

Brad Richards age 34 - Contract remaining - 6 years with a cap hit of 6.67 Million a season

Johan Franzen age 34 - Contract remaining - 6 years with a cap hit of 3.95 million a season

New York Rangers Goal differential +25

Brad Richards plus minus -8

Detroit Red Wings goal differential -8

Johan Franzen plus minus +6

Hits

Brad Richards 24

Johan Franzen 66

Giveaways

Brad Richards 46

Johan Franzen 28

Faceoffs

Brad Richards 49.8%

Johan Franzen 52.9%

Richards slightly outscored Franzen this year but was far worse defensively and he costs almost double what Franzen does. That's why one is employed and the other was paid to go away.

Brad Richards age 34 - Contract remaining - 6 years with a cap hit of 6.67 Million a season

Johan Franzen age 34 - Contract remaining - 6 years with a cap hit of 3.95 million a season

Hits

Brad Richards 24

Johan Franzen 66

Giveaways

Brad Richards 46

Johan Franzen 28

Faceoffs

Brad Richards 49.8%

Johan Franzen 52.9%

Richards slightly outscored Franzen this year but was far worse defensively and he costs almost double what Franzen does. That's why one is employed and the other was paid to go away.

If franzenstein played 82 games like Richards he would have (pro rated) 11 points more and 4 goals more.

Pierre LeBrun@Real_ESPNLeBrun 3m

As @capgeek noted, Richards still owed $8 M in signing bonuses which are to be paid out in full over next 3 years plus $12.6 M in salary

ouch.

Wtf. How much was he getting paid a season? That is ridiculous. Why are GMs throwing that kindof Money around to slightly above average players? The days of dominating players in the league earning big money are over. There are no dominating players, only dominating teams. There are no more Yzermans, Lidstroms, Hulls, sakics, forsebergs, haseks, gretzkys, messiers, or bures. Players prime playing time to earn points is about 3-4 year average. When a guy throws up more than 65 points a season for more than 5 seasons, then we can talk. Id throw money at them. But seriously, Richards, spezza, and the other available players getting these inflated contracts boggles the mind. What are the owners and GMs doing? Edited by plopster

Guest DeGraa55

If franzenstein played 82 games like Richards he would have (pro rated) 11 points more and 4 goals more.

But he didn't and is very likely to play less as he ages. At least Richards plays every game.

Richards is better than Franzen in every way possible(but he was still overpaid).

When a guy throws up more than 65 points a season for more than 5 seasons, then we can talk. Id throw money at them. But seriously, Richards, spezza, and the other available players getting these inflated contracts boggles the mind. What are the owners and GMs doing?

Both Spezza and Richards have done this. As have Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Thornton, Getzlaf, H. Sedin, D. Sedin, St. Louis, Marleau, Backstom, Kane, Kopitar, Hossa, Staal, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and soon Toews, Stamkos, Tavares, and Giroux, Sharp as well. Plus I'm probably forgetting some.

If this is truly your threshold for "throwing money at them" then you'd have to agree that both Spezza and Richards were worth their contracts just like the rest of these guys are. That's some pretty illustrious company don't you think?

Hits

Brad Richards 24

Johan Franzen 66

Giveaways

Brad Richards 46

Johan Franzen 28

Faceoffs

Brad Richards 49.8%

Johan Franzen 52.9%

Another circular arguement. Fun times! Neither is a great player and maybe never were. But and this is key, both have long bad contracts. One team realized this and bought out their crap the other didn't. Now when comparing the 2 in terms of numbers it is taking a trip down the over rated road. But lets.....

Richards just turn 34 a couple of months ago and Franzen turns 35 in a couple of months. They are 8 months apart in age, with Franzen being older. Franzen has had at least 3 concussions in the NHL and a couple of other major injuries along the way, Richards hasn't. Over the past 3 seasons Richards missed a total of 2 regular season games. For their careers Richards scores .88 points per game, Franzen scores .61 ppg. Now over the last 3 years Richards numbers have dropped to .72 ppg, but those numbers are still better than Franzen's. Yes some of that is the fact Richards is a C and get s a lot of assists, while Franzen is a winger and supposed to score goals. On that front though they are very close. Richards has scored 56 regular season goals and 12 post season goals over the past 3 years while Franzen has scored 59 in the past 3 regular seasons and 5 in the past 3 post seasons.

Now I am no fan of richards, nor do I want him here. Lets be very clear about that. In each case we have declining players that are signed long term. Both should have been bought out. That is the point.

But he didn't and is very likely to play less as he ages. At least Richards plays every game.

Richards is better than Franzen in every way possible(but he was still overpaid).

Richards wound up playing on the fourth line in the Finals. He is not good anymore.

Both Spezza and Richards have done this. As have Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Thornton, Getzlaf, H. Sedin, D. Sedin, St. Louis, Marleau, Backstom, Kane, Kopitar, Hossa, Staal, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and soon Toews, Stamkos, Tavares, and Giroux, Sharp as well. Plus I'm probably forgetting some.

If this is truly your threshold for "throwing money at them" then you'd have to agree that both Spezza and Richards were worth their contracts just like the rest of these guys are. That's some pretty illustrious company don't you think?

I actually meant to type 85 - iPhone error

Glen Sather is a bad GM.

Lundqvist's performance makes them think they are a lot closer than they are, hence, Sather is safe.

Wait until they get Thornton. I can see it now, they released Richards so they can get their chance at a brand new shiny toy.

I can't stand Sather for that exact reason, he pays way too much for FA with term and salary then when he sees his mistake he just buys them out.

I could see Richards ending up back in Dallas.

Another circular arguement. Fun times! Neither is a great player and maybe never were. But and this is key, both have long bad contracts. One team realized this and bought out their crap the other didn't. Now when comparing the 2 in terms of numbers it is taking a trip down the over rated road. But lets.....

Richards just turn 34 a couple of months ago and Franzen turns 35 in a couple of months. They are 8 months apart in age, with Franzen being older. Franzen has had at least 3 concussions in the NHL and a couple of other major injuries along the way, Richards hasn't. Over the past 3 seasons Richards missed a total of 2 regular season games. For their careers Richards scores .88 points per game, Franzen scores .61 ppg. Now over the last 3 years Richards numbers have dropped to .72 ppg, but those numbers are still better than Franzen's. Yes some of that is the fact Richards is a C and get s a lot of assists, while Franzen is a winger and supposed to score goals. On that front though they are very close. Richards has scored 56 regular season goals and 12 post season goals over the past 3 years while Franzen has scored 59 in the past 3 regular seasons and 5 in the past 3 post seasons.

Now I am no fan of richards, nor do I want him here. Lets be very clear about that. In each case we have declining players that are signed long term. Both should have been bought out. That is the point.

Since you mentioned ppg over the last three years. Over the last three years franzen has averaged .75 ppg. Yes he is streaky, we all know that. But there is no denying the production. Sure you can say he hasn't showed up in the playoffs, which is true, and he is "lazy" but his +/- would disagree with you as would just about every defensive status available. He may look disinterested and laid back, but what I see is a player babs has transformed to play defense first. His production is as high as it's ever been, and his defensive game is much better than everyone gives him credit for.

I would take franzen over Richards any day.

Wait until they get Thornton. I can see it now, they released Richards so they can get their chance at a brand new shiny toy.

I can't stand Sather for that exact reason, he pays way too much for FA with term and salary then when he sees his mistake he just buys them out.

I could see Richards ending up back in Dallas.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is one of the most prevalent reasons for the last couple of lockouts. Idiot GMs competing with each other driving prices up and then some nutjob signs a low level player to a big contract, raising the bar for everyone else.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is one of the most prevalent reasons for the last couple of lockouts. Idiot GMs competing with each other driving prices up and then some nutjob signs a low level player to a big contract, raising the bar for everyone else.

There is never a reasonable for these stupid lockout, it's just a greedy New York Lawyer thinking he can get others into paying for his failed experiments and some cheap owners who think owning a hockeyfranchise is like running a business instead of a huge privilege only an incredible small percentage of billionaires worldwide can afford.

There was nothing wrtong with Richard's contract just the stupid recapture - how in the hell did Gms agree to that ? - so the landscape changed and they had to buy him out because he could have retired earlier. The recapture rule would never hold up in a court, you can't change the rules for contracts that where fine just some months ago.

Can't wait for the first team taking the NHL to court for this and winning in a landslide.

If you are a follower of advanced stats-which I admit I am not the biggest fan of, Richards 7.9 had a BETTER (HarD ranking) in 5 on 5 play, this year than franzen. So once again, sorry Richards is the better player. But again, neither are very good. So to review, Richards is younger, healthier, scores more goals, gets more assists, plays better defense (considering he was a 1C playing on a top line vs other teams best), and isn't a flake.