#1 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:33 PM

According to Helene St. James Twitter:

Helene St. James @HeleneStJames 56s

Daniel Alfredsson has told #RedWings he wants to play another season. Sides will talk again later this week.

Really glad to hear it! Alfie showed that he's still a productive player and leader. Hopefully he'll hoist the Cup before he eventually calls it quits.

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#2 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,227 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:34 PM

I can dig it.

#3 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:47 PM

Hope he comes back for less money and he isn't the only acquisition the Wings make this off-season.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#4 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,124 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:48 PM

Unbelievable.

Whos prepared for another mediocre season? Lol

#5 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:49 PM

Unbelievable.

Whos prepared for another mediocre season? Lol

Actually it's quite believable... do you really think he'd want to back to the Sens?  Where else would he want to be?  ...and that second part is yet to be determined. 

Hell, he hasn't even been re-signed yet.  So, let's not put the cart WAYYYYY in front of the horse.

Edited by e_prime, 23 June 2014 - 04:50 PM.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#6 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:00 PM

And he actually for the most part, played really well I thought last year. He was good on the PP, provided more leadership to the kids when Z and Dats were out, and was all around solid. Had a bit of a shocking last 1/4 of the year, but I guess that's to be expected when there's not much supporting cast around and you're 41.

I'd happily take him back. Let's hope he comes in around $4m to give us soon room.

temp 1

#7 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,395 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:03 PM

I hope the July 1 headline will be "Alfie signs a day contract with Ottawa Senators for his retirement ceremony..." but my fear is obviously a return to the Wings.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#8 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:04 PM

Seriously, why are so many people down on the fact that Alfie is potentially returning? Yes he's old, but he's still good, and he won't cost us anything (minus some cap room). If he stays healthy for the entire year he's practically good for 20 goals 

Edited by wings4thecup06, 23 June 2014 - 05:05 PM.

temp 1

#9 greenrebellion

greenrebellion

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:05 PM

Meh, he was a good signing last season, but the older he gets, the riskier it gets to bring him back.  He's going to be turning 42 years old in December...how many forwards are still effective at that age?  I wouldn't go more than $3 million and even that has plenty of risk....the problem with building a team with all these old players as Holland likes to do, is that old players are more injury prone.  

#10 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:18 PM

Man, I don't care if the guy's 42, 45, 58 1/2 - it's one less spot for Dan Cleary.

#11 thegerkin

thegerkin

Statue of Liberty!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:23 PM

Yay, Alfie!!

#12 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:27 PM

I was really hoping we would go after a big time offensive free agent like Stastny but this pretty much crushes that dream.

#13 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,024 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:41 PM

Would be nice to wait until free agency to see if we can get something younger (Vanek/Moulson/Stastny)) but otherwise I'd be okay with Alfie back. 

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#14 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,124 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:42 PM

WHY WOUKD ANYONE SUPPORT THIS??? Seiously if were not going to win a cup, or hell do anything at all to improve a mediocre team why would we want him wasting a spot?

I like the guy and think if we were contenders I'd e ok with signing him. But last year my argument was...why sign him him nyquist can bring what he brings....just younger.

Now why sign him when we can have jurco or pulk up instead. There is so much better options. There is not ONE good reason for Alfie being here.

#15 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:44 PM

Meh, he was a good signing last season, but the older he gets, the riskier it gets to bring him back.  He's going to be turning 42 years old in December...how many forwards are still effective at that age?  I wouldn't go more than $3 million and even that has plenty of risk....the problem with building a team with all these old players as Holland likes to do, is that old players are more injury prone.  

If gets injured then Mantha or Pulkkinen play. That's doesn't sound like too big a risk to me. Holland's not building a team with "all these old players." We'll actually be a pretty young team next year.

#16 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,138 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:52 PM

WHY WOUKD ANYONE SUPPORT THIS??? Seiously if were not going to win a cup, or hell do anything at all to improve a mediocre team why would we want him wasting a spot?

I like the guy and think if we were contenders I'd e ok with signing him. But last year my argument was...why sign him him nyquist can bring what he brings....just younger.

Now why sign him when we can have jurco or pulk up instead. There is so much better options. There is not ONE good reason for Alfie being here.

Leadership, experience, good work ethic. You can't build a team with 22 year olds, look at Edmonton. Alfie was solid last year when healthy. And when our leaders were injured the team didn't do so well. Nyquist was the only player stepping up, now you want to entrust that responsibility to not only the same players who disappeared when times got tough, but a couple extra even younger ones? And you honestly see nothing wrong with that mentality?

#17 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,124 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:55 PM

Leadership, experience, good work ethic. You can't build a team with 22 year olds, look at Edmonton. Alfie was solid last year when healthy. And when our leaders were injured the team didn't do so well. Nyquist was the only player stepping up, now you want to entrust that responsibility to not only the same players who disappeared when times got tough, but a couple extra even younger ones? And you honestly see nothing wrong with that mentality?

So what the f*** does z dat Franzen kronwall Ericsson bring? Plus hell guys like helm and miller etc etc

We have experience what we don't have is players in their PRIME!

#18 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,138 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:58 PM

So a couple guys more straight out of grand rapids won't change that... And as you recall z dats Ericsson and franzen were all injured for stretches during the year, which was my point

#19 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:01 PM

I hope for Hollands sake that if he signs Alfie it's a low cap hit. Like 3M and lower. I suspect it will much higher though. I don't understand Hollands thought process. I know he doesn't like free agent players signed to a long term but it's like he keeps saying "let's sign Alfie for one year and wait for a better free agent class." Unfortunately teams sign their best players so free agency isn't going to change much year to year. Throw Alfies money at a long term solution like Stastny or Moulson instead of paying an extremely old veteran.

#20 greenrebellion

greenrebellion

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:03 PM

If gets injured then Mantha or Pulkkinen play. That's doesn't sound like too big a risk to me. Holland's not building a team with "all these old players." We'll actually be a pretty young team next year.

I'm no Holland basher, but all I'm saying is these contracts to older players have a lot of risk.  You don't know exactly when a guys game is going to fall off a cliff, see Cleary, Sammy and Bert as examples of contracts/wasted roster spots.