• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
TheDetroitRedWings

Alfie informs Wings he wants to return

Rate this topic

According to Helene St. James Twitter:

Helene St. James @HeleneStJames 56s

Daniel Alfredsson has told #RedWings he wants to play another season. Sides will talk again later this week.

Really glad to hear it! Alfie showed that he's still a productive player and leader. Hopefully he'll hoist the Cup before he eventually calls it quits.

Unbelievable.

Whos prepared for another mediocre season? Lol

Actually it's quite believable... do you really think he'd want to back to the Sens? Where else would he want to be? ...and that second part is yet to be determined.

Hell, he hasn't even been re-signed yet. So, let's not put the cart WAYYYYY in front of the horse.

Edited by e_prime

And he actually for the most part, played really well I thought last year. He was good on the PP, provided more leadership to the kids when Z and Dats were out, and was all around solid. Had a bit of a shocking last 1/4 of the year, but I guess that's to be expected when there's not much supporting cast around and you're 41.

I'd happily take him back. Let's hope he comes in around $4m to give us soon room.

Seriously, why are so many people down on the fact that Alfie is potentially returning? Yes he's old, but he's still good, and he won't cost us anything (minus some cap room). If he stays healthy for the entire year he's practically good for 20 goals

Edited by wings4thecup06

Meh, he was a good signing last season, but the older he gets, the riskier it gets to bring him back. He's going to be turning 42 years old in December...how many forwards are still effective at that age? I wouldn't go more than $3 million and even that has plenty of risk....the problem with building a team with all these old players as Holland likes to do, is that old players are more injury prone.

Guest DeGraa55

WHY WOUKD ANYONE SUPPORT THIS??? Seiously if were not going to win a cup, or hell do anything at all to improve a mediocre team why would we want him wasting a spot?

I like the guy and think if we were contenders I'd e ok with signing him. But last year my argument was...why sign him him nyquist can bring what he brings....just younger.

Now why sign him when we can have jurco or pulk up instead. There is so much better options. There is not ONE good reason for Alfie being here.

Meh, he was a good signing last season, but the older he gets, the riskier it gets to bring him back. He's going to be turning 42 years old in December...how many forwards are still effective at that age? I wouldn't go more than $3 million and even that has plenty of risk....the problem with building a team with all these old players as Holland likes to do, is that old players are more injury prone.

If gets injured then Mantha or Pulkkinen play. That's doesn't sound like too big a risk to me. Holland's not building a team with "all these old players." We'll actually be a pretty young team next year.

WHY WOUKD ANYONE SUPPORT THIS??? Seiously if were not going to win a cup, or hell do anything at all to improve a mediocre team why would we want him wasting a spot?

I like the guy and think if we were contenders I'd e ok with signing him. But last year my argument was...why sign him him nyquist can bring what he brings....just younger.

Now why sign him when we can have jurco or pulk up instead. There is so much better options. There is not ONE good reason for Alfie being here.

Leadership, experience, good work ethic. You can't build a team with 22 year olds, look at Edmonton. Alfie was solid last year when healthy. And when our leaders were injured the team didn't do so well. Nyquist was the only player stepping up, now you want to entrust that responsibility to not only the same players who disappeared when times got tough, but a couple extra even younger ones? And you honestly see nothing wrong with that mentality?

Guest DeGraa55

Leadership, experience, good work ethic. You can't build a team with 22 year olds, look at Edmonton. Alfie was solid last year when healthy. And when our leaders were injured the team didn't do so well. Nyquist was the only player stepping up, now you want to entrust that responsibility to not only the same players who disappeared when times got tough, but a couple extra even younger ones? And you honestly see nothing wrong with that mentality?

So what the f*** does z dat Franzen kronwall Ericsson bring? Plus hell guys like helm and miller etc etc

We have experience what we don't have is players in their PRIME!

I hope for Hollands sake that if he signs Alfie it's a low cap hit. Like 3M and lower. I suspect it will much higher though. I don't understand Hollands thought process. I know he doesn't like free agent players signed to a long term but it's like he keeps saying "let's sign Alfie for one year and wait for a better free agent class." Unfortunately teams sign their best players so free agency isn't going to change much year to year. Throw Alfies money at a long term solution like Stastny or Moulson instead of paying an extremely old veteran.

If gets injured then Mantha or Pulkkinen play. That's doesn't sound like too big a risk to me. Holland's not building a team with "all these old players." We'll actually be a pretty young team next year.

I'm no Holland basher, but all I'm saying is these contracts to older players have a lot of risk. You don't know exactly when a guys game is going to fall off a cliff, see Cleary, Sammy and Bert as examples of contracts/wasted roster spots.

I hope for Hollands sake that if he signs Alfie it's a low cap hit. Like 3M and lower. I suspect it will much higher though. I don't understand Hollands thought process. I know he doesn't like free agent players signed to a long term but it's like he keeps saying "let's sign Alfie for one year and wait for a better free agent class." Unfortunately teams sign their best players so free agency isn't going to change much year to year. Throw Alfies money at a long term solution like Stastny or Moulson instead of paying an extremely old veteran.

Right but we all know that free agency is like an overpriced market. You don't have to go there and you can buy your groceries somewhere else, but if you do go, you'll either get ripped off, or get something really good.

In this case it's a win win as far as I'm concerned because what Alfie brings is a known commodity. His play last year was pretty solid and provided us with some extra offense, added to our veteran leadership and was important when guys started dropping like flies. While not in his prime, I think it's a safer bet having him for one more year at a cap friendly contract than get in a bidding war and end up paying $7 million for someone who we don't really need and will be overrated from day 1. This way, if Alfie hangs them up at the end of the year, Mantha will be primed and ready to go in his place.

You can't win with all youth, just like you can't win with all veterans. What KH appears to be doing is trying to find the right balance. Alfie worked well for us last season, so why wouldn't you bring him back if its at the right price? He is, at the end of the day, just another piece in the puzzle. You can't win the cup based on signing one player, so why the f*** is everyone freaking out? Free agency hasn't even begun yet, but lots of people here are throwing their toys out the pram and all for what? Because we re-signed a good player? KH might pull off a surprise at the draft, or he might not. He might get Alfie signed, get a solid D man like Gilbert or Stralman and be happy at that, safe in the knowledge that we've got NHL ready youth right in our lineup that has gone through a season of experience last year and are ready to contribute more. You can't expect to be cup contenders every year, and rebuilding like this definitely takes time. It'll be worth the wait when it comes. I'd rather at least be competitive every season where we've got the chance to put it all together or add a couple of pieces here and there, rather than tear the entire thing down and start over.

Edited by wings4thecup06

Guest DeGraa55

So a couple guys more straight out of grand rapids won't change that... And as you recall z dats Ericsson and franzen were all injured for stretches during the year, which was my point

Signing a couple UFA in their prime does. As do trades. Playing the youth helps us in the future.

Alfredsson coming back is fine. He's not the final piece but he's not the problem, either. He's good for 15-20 goals next year, especially if he and the team stay healthy. It seems like every offseason since 2009 we talk about "if people stay healthy," so I guess that's too much to hope for, but sooner or later we have to have a season full of average health, right?

Anyway, he's best in the top 6 scoring role. If Babcock buries him on the third again he won't do much good unless he finds explosive chemistry with Tatar or someone.

I like having him back, but this means we won't be pursuing a top 6 scoring forward. A week or so ago Holland gave an interview where he said his decision to go after a forward would hinge on Alfredsson coming back.

Not pumped about this at all.

He was extremely ineffective for long stretches of the season and now hes just a year older, with a bad back.

This off -season is looking more and more like its going to be the same old stuff. Excited to see which fringe NHLer 6th pairing defenceman we will be signing next