#181 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,692 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:15 AM

I'm quoting my own post, fresh off the press:

http://www.mlive.com...ock_values.html

"We got seven left-hand D. I love (to have a righty), but how do you get it?" Red Wings coach Mike Babcock said over the weekend at the NHL entry draft in Philadelphia. "It's great to have this fantasy; like (general manager) Kenny Holland would tell you, there's no tree. I've been all over him, but there's no tree to grab them off of, so we'll get what we get."

Well, Babs, Babbers, Babbaganoosh... maybe if you guys stopped looking up trees every year for a right handed defensman and talked to other GMs you might find one.  The magical place where our competition finds these players is on the end of a telephone, that thing with buttons on your desk, and when you press these buttons, something magical happens, you might get a chance to talk to someone who has a right handed D.  If it makes you feel better, the other guy can tell you he grew an extra D on a magical tree.

Right handed D available in some capacity:

Niskanen

Byfuglin

Ehroff

Zidlicky

Boyle

Stralman

While you're looking up that magical tree, maybe you guys can grow a pair of your own little D's and pull off some deals / trades. 

Ehrhoff is a L-handed D

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#182 krsmith17

krsmith17

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:54 AM

Taking the wait and see approach with Alfredsson can be nothing but positive for us in my opinion. This way we can still go out and try to sign other UFA's while Alfie determines whether or not his body can handle the grind of another full season. I would be more than happy to have Alfie back for another season at around 2 million, and assuming we don't go out and sign a boat load of players, we should have no problem re-uping Alfie for another season. I'm ok with Jurco starting the season in Grand Rapids because we all know within the first few weeks he will be up due to the inevitable injuries that will occur.

Wings_Toledo - I'm just curious what you and others think our RFA's will get on their new contracts because I believe we have more than enough to sign all of our RFA's, and a top UFA (Niskanen) as well as have plenty of room left to sign Alfredsson. I can see DeKeyser getting around the 1.5M range, Tatar getting around the same and Sheahan around 1M.

#183 Wings_Toledo

Wings_Toledo

Seeing Red

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:48 AM

Taking the wait and see approach with Alfredsson can be nothing but positive for us in my opinion. This way we can still go out and try to sign other UFA's while Alfie determines whether or not his body can handle the grind of another full season. I would be more than happy to have Alfie back for another season at around 2 million, and assuming we don't go out and sign a boat load of players, we should have no problem re-uping Alfie for another season. I'm ok with Jurco starting the season in Grand Rapids because we all know within the first few weeks he will be up due to the inevitable injuries that will occur.

Wings_Toledo - I'm just curious what you and others think our RFA's will get on their new contracts because I believe we have more than enough to sign all of our RFA's, and a top UFA (Niskanen) as well as have plenty of room left to sign Alfredsson. I can see DeKeyser getting around the 1.5M range, Tatar getting around the same and Sheahan around 1M.

That's about what I had for the RFAs except I gave DeKeyser $3m.  That might be too high, but I figure if he signs a longer term then he'll want more than $1.5m a season.  So, I could be very wrong there.  Also, I gave Niskanen $6.5m just to go on the high end of his possible deal and gave Gilbert $2m.  After that, I traded Kindl and retained 25% of his salary.  With all of that done, we still had roughly $3m in cap space.  So, signing Alfredsson wouldn't be impossible but he would have to sign for less than last season.  Also, I'm not sure how comfortable Kenny feels being up that close to the cap ceiling.

#184 krsmith17

krsmith17

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:07 AM

I wouldn't mind signing two guys like Niskanen and Gilbert but I'd also like to keep a spot open for one of our young guys (Ouellet, Sproul, Marchenko or Backman). Alfredsson would definitely take around 2M, especially if we looked like a team "going for it", with two or three big off season signings.

#185 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:17 AM

I wouldn't mind signing two guys like Niskanen and Gilbert but I'd also like to keep a spot open for one of our young guys (Ouellet, Sproul, Marchenko or Backman). Alfredsson would definitely take around 2M, especially if we looked like a team "going for it", with two or three big off season signings.

I think we will only sign one defenseman, unless we trade away Smith. 

...and I agree, I think we can/should sign Alfie to a very small cap hit if there is a roster spot made for him and AFTER we sign another legit top six forward.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#186 DannyD

DannyD

Rookie

• Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:30 AM

Anyone else think they may hold off to see if Mantha makes the team before committing to Alfie?

#187 krsmith17

krsmith17

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:35 AM

Nope. I think they will continue to say, and convince some of the naive fans that he will be given every opportunity to make the team out of camp. But I still don't think he makes it. And I think the best thing for his development would be a full year down in Grand Rapid a, with a possibility of a few call-ups. Then he will get a real chance to make it in 2015-16. Just my opinion.

#188 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:46 PM

Nope. I think they will continue to say, and convince some of the naive fans that he will be given every opportunity to make the team out of camp. But I still don't think he makes it. And I think the best thing for his development would be a full year down in Grand Rapid a, with a possibility of a few call-ups. Then he will get a real chance to make it in 2015-16. Just my opinion.

Agreed. I think he's going to start in GR no matter how well his preseason performance goes. He'll probably be with the wings by Christmas though, but I think personally it might be better to bring him along slowly at first and if he starts tearing up GR then all the better. It'll further increase his confidence

temp 1

#189 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 03:45 AM

Anyone else think they may hold off to see if Mantha makes the team before committing to Alfie?

I'm all for getting the kids in the NHL a bit sooner than we have in the past, but give him a year in GR. I wouldn't even go out of my way to call him up unless we got desperate. If he's actually good enough to make the team next year, I'd rather see him make the team out of camp and transition to the NHL out of camp, especially considering that making the team next year is still pretty fast by our standards. Let him take it slow out of camp with no pre-conceived idea of what his NHL role could look like and give him a chance to ease into said role without having to hear people comparing his play to little call up stints which can be hit or miss, though almost never a good indication of what a player will look like on a consistent basis.

-Elliot...does not panic.