• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#21 Shinzaki

Shinzaki

Rookie

• Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:12 PM

At times he was very effective...at times he was very old.   Not real big on bringing him back ....

#22 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:21 PM

I hope for Hollands sake that if he signs Alfie it's a low cap hit. Like 3M and lower. I suspect it will much higher though. I don't understand Hollands thought process. I know he doesn't like free agent players signed to a long term but it's like he keeps saying "let's sign Alfie for one year and wait for a better free agent class." Unfortunately teams sign their best players so free agency isn't going to change much year to year. Throw Alfies money at a long term solution like Stastny or Moulson instead of paying an extremely old veteran.

Right but we all know that free agency is like an overpriced market. You don't have to go there and you can buy your groceries somewhere else, but if you do go, you'll either get ripped off, or get something really good. 

In this case it's a win win as far as I'm concerned because what Alfie brings is a known commodity. His play last year was pretty solid and provided us with some extra offense, added to our veteran leadership and was important when guys started dropping like flies. While not in his prime, I think it's a safer bet having him for one more year at a cap friendly contract than get in a bidding war and end up paying $7 million for someone who we don't really need and will be overrated from day 1. This way, if Alfie hangs them up at the end of the year, Mantha will be primed and ready to go in his place. 

You can't win with all youth, just like you can't win with all veterans. What KH appears to be doing is trying to find the right balance. Alfie worked well for us last season, so why wouldn't you bring him back if its at the right price? He is, at the end of the day, just another piece in the puzzle. You can't win the cup based on signing one player, so why the f*** is everyone freaking out? Free agency hasn't even begun yet, but lots of people here are throwing their toys out the pram and all for what? Because we re-signed a good player? KH might pull off a surprise at the draft, or he might not. He might get Alfie signed, get a solid D man like Gilbert or Stralman and be happy at that, safe in the knowledge that we've got NHL ready youth right in our lineup that has gone through a season of experience last year and are ready to contribute more. You can't expect to be cup contenders every year, and rebuilding like this definitely takes time. It'll be worth the wait when it comes. I'd rather at least be competitive every season where we've got the chance to put it all together or add a couple of pieces here and there, rather than tear the entire thing down and start over.

Edited by wings4thecup06, 23 June 2014 - 06:21 PM.

temp 1

#23 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:26 PM

So a couple guys more straight out of grand rapids won't change that... And as you recall z dats Ericsson and franzen were all injured for stretches during the year, which was my point

Signing a couple UFA in their prime does. As do trades. Playing the youth helps us in the future.

#24 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,579 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:27 PM

Alfredsson coming back is fine.  He's not the final piece but he's not the problem, either.  He's good for 15-20 goals next year, especially if he and the team stay healthy.  It seems like every offseason since 2009 we talk about "if people stay healthy," so I guess that's too much to hope for, but sooner or later we have to have a season full of average health, right?

Anyway, he's best in the top 6 scoring role.  If Babcock buries him on the third again he won't do much good unless he finds explosive chemistry with Tatar or someone. 

I like having him back, but this means we won't be pursuing a top 6 scoring forward.  A week or so ago Holland gave an interview where he said his decision to go after a forward would hinge on Alfredsson coming back.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#25 WingsallTheway

WingsallTheway

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:42 PM

Not pumped about this at all.

He was extremely ineffective for long stretches of the season and now hes just a year older, with a bad back.

This off -season is looking more and more like its going to be the same old stuff. Excited to see which fringe NHLer 6th pairing defenceman we will be signing next

wingsalltheway.jpg

Pavel datsyuk is the best player in the world because he snatches the puck from unsuspecting players and  follows it up by the simultaneous undressing of the defence pairing. The goalie then gives up, and flops like a fish. The end result is a calm skate back to his bench  where he can bask in the praise of his multiple girlfriends from the motherland.

#26 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,407 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:45 PM

I have mixed feelings about this. Alfie was the only free agent I really had interest in the Red Wings retaining. He was pretty good overall last season, but seemed to slow down quite a bit (or was playing hurt) after the Olympics. That being said, I thought it might be a more suitable move for the Red Wings to explore other younger options through free agency. I guess depending on Alfie's contract and other plans, they could still have the flexibility to add another top-six winger. 

If Alfie stays healthy, he should be a solid contributor again for the Wings. Always risky though banking on a 41-year-old to keep up with the pace of an NHL season. 

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#27 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:47 PM

I'm no Holland basher, but all I'm saying is these contracts to older players have a lot of risk.  You don't know exactly when a guys game is going to fall off a cliff, see Cleary, Sammy and Bert as examples of contracts/wasted roster spots.

I understand what you're saying. I don't think Cleary Sammy Bert fell of a cliff, though. We've seen their decreased effectiveness over the seasons leading up to last. And think it's rare to truly go from hero to zero.

Alfie still put up 18g and 49pts in 68 games. That PPG might slide a bit, but the situation is quite different than Cleary, Sammy and Bert. We get him without giving up our young prospects. I just hope he is better at controlling the puck on the PP. There was so may times during the year he would bungle a hard pass. 

#28 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:51 PM

Alfredsson coming back is fine.  He's not the final piece but he's not the problem, either.  He's good for 15-20 goals next year, especially if he and the team stay healthy.  It seems like every offseason since 2009 we talk about "if people stay healthy," so I guess that's too much to hope for, but sooner or later we have to have a season full of average health, right?

Anyway, he's best in the top 6 scoring role.  If Babcock buries him on the third again he won't do much good unless he finds explosive chemistry with Tatar or someone. 

I like having him back, but this means we won't be pursuing a top 6 scoring forward.  A week or so ago Holland gave an interview where he said his decision to go after a forward would hinge on Alfredsson coming back.

I don't think he will be ineffective and he can give us some goal scoring and leadership, but I think we can all agree he isn't worth a 5.5M cap hit like he was last season. I'd give him half of that to have him stay. If he wants more then let him walk.

P.S. This is my 500th post on the site.

#29 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,305 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:09 PM

Hope it is for real cheap
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#30 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:19 PM

I don't think he will be ineffective and he can give us some goal scoring and leadership, but I think we can all agree he isn't worth a 5.5M cap hit like he was last season. I'd give him half of that to have him stay. If he wants more then let him walk.

P.S. This is my 500th post on the site.

Congrats.

#31 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,006 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:24 PM

Who cares about his cap hit?  It's not like we'll use the savings to sign anyone better and he'll only be on a one year contract.  Give him 10 million dollars for all it matters.  What are we worried about saving money for at this point?  As long as we've got enough to sign him and some 39 year old right shooting d-man then it really doesn't make a difference. 

Edited by kipwinger, 23 June 2014 - 08:01 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#32 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:24 PM

Great to see him coming back. Even better that there will be no Swedish Olympic coach making him play insane minutes to wear him out for the stretch drive of the season.

#33 themcityblues

themcityblues

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:09 PM

I'd be happy if Alfie came back for $3M, but we know that's a long ways off. Alfie is seriously over-valued, and that's the only problem with him coming back.

Edited by themcityblues, 23 June 2014 - 08:11 PM.

#34 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,755 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:53 PM

...and it just keeps getting worse. Guess Holland figures the kids will bring them a Cup. Lets just have the same team as last year, but this year there will be no injuries and we'll win it all! If Holland re-signs Alfie without making a trade to make his team better and into contenders, I will run Holland off I-94 next time I see him driving. Holland needs to move to Sweden. Its all about icing the best re, not a mediocre one. Thusvteam isn't a playoff team right now. Re-signing Monster, Alfie and Cleary actually makes it worse.

Bring on Quincey for $4.7M...and a NMC.

Edited by LeftWinger, 23 June 2014 - 08:55 PM.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#35 Wings_Toledo

Wings_Toledo

Seeing Red

• PipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:59 PM

I would rather see Holland go after one of the upcoming UFAs. I like Alfie, but he has 1 more year, at best. Why not go after someone who can potentially help the team long-term?

#36 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,682 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:05 PM

I always liked Alfie...Another season in Detroit won't hurt us.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#37 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,755 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:07 PM

^ Because that's Holland.  He will give Alfie the exact same contract...$5.5M.  He will re-sign Cleary and Quincey AND he will trade the #1 for a #2.  I am not being funny either.  This will happen, we all know it. Expect it and get ready for a worse season than last. Holland is off his rocker if he re-signs Alfie.  I'd rather him re-sign Legwand.  Holland is quickly becoming the dumbest GM in the NHL. He hasn't done s*** that has made sense since he signed Hossa in 2008.  People act like he scouts and is responsible for the draft, he just picks who his scouts say is the best.  He is becoming BY FAR the laughing stock of the NHL....

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#38 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,062 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:34 PM

Alfie broke down in the 2nd half of the season and was invisible most nights, and in the playoffs. He's 41 and he isn't going to get any more durable as we go along. Wish he'd hung them up. I'll hold out hope for a trade or something, but the way we're going looks like were gonna bring the same damn team into next season.

#NOMOREKINDL

#39 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:36 PM

^ Because that's Holland.  He will give Alfie the exact same contract...$5.5M.  He will re-sign Cleary and Quincey AND he will trade the #1 for a #2.  I am not being funny either.  This will happen, we all know it. Expect it and get ready for a worse season than last. Holland is off his rocker if he re-signs Alfie.  I'd rather him re-sign Legwand.  Holland is quickly becoming the dumbest GM in the NHL. He hasn't done s*** that has made sense since he signed Hossa in 2008.  People act like he scouts and is responsible for the draft, he just picks who his scouts say is the best.  He is becoming BY FAR the laughing stock of the NHL....

You sound like a troll, thank god you don't run the team. We would probably miss the playoffs 23 years in a row.

You might want to do some research, Holland was the director of scouting for 7 years before he was a GM, I will believe him and the scouts over your opinion of what you think goes on.

Alfie before the Olympics was 10 points under a PPG. When everyone was healthy he was a huge asset no matter what way you slice it.

Alfie broke down in the 2nd half of the season and was invisible most nights, and in the playoffs. He's 41 and he isn't going to get any more durable as we go along. Wish he'd hung them up. I'll hold out hope for a trade or something, but the way we're going looks like were gonna bring the same damn team into next season.

The season is starting already? Wow, didn't know that.

#40 thegerkin

thegerkin

Statue of Liberty!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:47 PM

I'd take a 40-something Alfie over a few of the forwards on our team (Emmerton, Andersson). I just can't understand people sometimes. Detroit had a terrible year last year, not just Alfie, He never got to click with the team because the team was never fully healthy. It was just a lousy year for the team. And Alfie still put up 49 points in 68 games.