• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
TheDetroitRedWings

Alfie informs Wings he wants to return

Rate this topic

I have mixed feelings about this. Alfie was the only free agent I really had interest in the Red Wings retaining. He was pretty good overall last season, but seemed to slow down quite a bit (or was playing hurt) after the Olympics. That being said, I thought it might be a more suitable move for the Red Wings to explore other younger options through free agency. I guess depending on Alfie's contract and other plans, they could still have the flexibility to add another top-six winger.

If Alfie stays healthy, he should be a solid contributor again for the Wings. Always risky though banking on a 41-year-old to keep up with the pace of an NHL season.

I'm no Holland basher, but all I'm saying is these contracts to older players have a lot of risk. You don't know exactly when a guys game is going to fall off a cliff, see Cleary, Sammy and Bert as examples of contracts/wasted roster spots.

I understand what you're saying. I don't think Cleary Sammy Bert fell of a cliff, though. We've seen their decreased effectiveness over the seasons leading up to last. And think it's rare to truly go from hero to zero.

Alfie still put up 18g and 49pts in 68 games. That PPG might slide a bit, but the situation is quite different than Cleary, Sammy and Bert. We get him without giving up our young prospects. I just hope he is better at controlling the puck on the PP. There was so may times during the year he would bungle a hard pass.

Alfredsson coming back is fine. He's not the final piece but he's not the problem, either. He's good for 15-20 goals next year, especially if he and the team stay healthy. It seems like every offseason since 2009 we talk about "if people stay healthy," so I guess that's too much to hope for, but sooner or later we have to have a season full of average health, right?

Anyway, he's best in the top 6 scoring role. If Babcock buries him on the third again he won't do much good unless he finds explosive chemistry with Tatar or someone.

I like having him back, but this means we won't be pursuing a top 6 scoring forward. A week or so ago Holland gave an interview where he said his decision to go after a forward would hinge on Alfredsson coming back.

I don't think he will be ineffective and he can give us some goal scoring and leadership, but I think we can all agree he isn't worth a 5.5M cap hit like he was last season. I'd give him half of that to have him stay. If he wants more then let him walk.

P.S. This is my 500th post on the site.

I don't think he will be ineffective and he can give us some goal scoring and leadership, but I think we can all agree he isn't worth a 5.5M cap hit like he was last season. I'd give him half of that to have him stay. If he wants more then let him walk.

P.S. This is my 500th post on the site.

Congrats.

Who cares about his cap hit? It's not like we'll use the savings to sign anyone better and he'll only be on a one year contract. Give him 10 million dollars for all it matters. What are we worried about saving money for at this point? As long as we've got enough to sign him and some 39 year old right shooting d-man then it really doesn't make a difference.

Edited by kipwinger

...and it just keeps getting worse. Guess Holland figures the kids will bring them a Cup. Lets just have the same team as last year, but this year there will be no injuries and we'll win it all! If Holland re-signs Alfie without making a trade to make his team better and into contenders, I will run Holland off I-94 next time I see him driving. Holland needs to move to Sweden. Its all about icing the best re, not a mediocre one. Thusvteam isn't a playoff team right now. Re-signing Monster, Alfie and Cleary actually makes it worse.

Bring on Quincey for $4.7M...and a NMC.

Edited by LeftWinger

^ Because that's Holland. He will give Alfie the exact same contract...$5.5M. He will re-sign Cleary and Quincey AND he will trade the #1 for a #2. I am not being funny either. This will happen, we all know it. Expect it and get ready for a worse season than last. Holland is off his rocker if he re-signs Alfie. I'd rather him re-sign Legwand. Holland is quickly becoming the dumbest GM in the NHL. He hasn't done s*** that has made sense since he signed Hossa in 2008. People act like he scouts and is responsible for the draft, he just picks who his scouts say is the best. He is becoming BY FAR the laughing stock of the NHL....

Alfie broke down in the 2nd half of the season and was invisible most nights, and in the playoffs. He's 41 and he isn't going to get any more durable as we go along. Wish he'd hung them up. I'll hold out hope for a trade or something, but the way we're going looks like were gonna bring the same damn team into next season.

^ Because that's Holland. He will give Alfie the exact same contract...$5.5M. He will re-sign Cleary and Quincey AND he will trade the #1 for a #2. I am not being funny either. This will happen, we all know it. Expect it and get ready for a worse season than last. Holland is off his rocker if he re-signs Alfie. I'd rather him re-sign Legwand. Holland is quickly becoming the dumbest GM in the NHL. He hasn't done s*** that has made sense since he signed Hossa in 2008. People act like he scouts and is responsible for the draft, he just picks who his scouts say is the best. He is becoming BY FAR the laughing stock of the NHL....

You sound like a troll, thank god you don't run the team. We would probably miss the playoffs 23 years in a row.

You might want to do some research, Holland was the director of scouting for 7 years before he was a GM, I will believe him and the scouts over your opinion of what you think goes on.

Alfie before the Olympics was 10 points under a PPG. When everyone was healthy he was a huge asset no matter what way you slice it.

Alfie broke down in the 2nd half of the season and was invisible most nights, and in the playoffs. He's 41 and he isn't going to get any more durable as we go along. Wish he'd hung them up. I'll hold out hope for a trade or something, but the way we're going looks like were gonna bring the same damn team into next season.

The season is starting already? Wow, didn't know that.

I'd take a 40-something Alfie over a few of the forwards on our team (Emmerton, Andersson). I just can't understand people sometimes. Detroit had a terrible year last year, not just Alfie, He never got to click with the team because the team was never fully healthy. It was just a lousy year for the team. And Alfie still put up 49 points in 68 games.

I'd take a 40-something Alfie over a few of the forwards on our team (Emmerton, Andersson). I just can't understand people sometimes. Detroit had a terrible year last year, not just Alfie, He never got to click with the team because the team was never fully healthy. It was just a lousy year for the team. And Alfie still put up 49 points in 68 games.

For me it's not that I completely don't want Alfie. I just want him as a last resort after going after some of the bigger name free agents. But what I don't want is Alfie signed before free agency even begins and before Holland has a chance to "kick the tires" of some other free agents.

I don't quite understand the comparison. Every Wings fan in the world would take Alfie over those two players you mentioned. Emmerton is no longer with the organization and Andersson will probably struggle to make the team. I think where most people are upset with Alfie re-signing is the Red Wings could have pursued younger options for a top-six winger through free agency. Alfie was productive, but he tailed off in the second half and had injury concerns. Plus he will be 42 years old in December. I don't despise Alfie coming back, but I can absolutely understand the opposition to this move.

Meh, he was a good signing last season, but the older he gets, the riskier it gets to bring him back. He's going to be turning 42 years old in December...how many forwards are still effective at that age? I wouldn't go more than $3 million and even that has plenty of risk....the problem with building a team with all these old players as Holland likes to do, is that old players are more injury prone.

Uhhh.... Jagr is one that immediately comes to mind.

Dude, if not for injuries, we would have made the Conference final. ;)

Dude, if not for injuries, we would have made the Conference final. ;)

Of course :D I try not to be negative until after the fact (:lol:) but the talk of bringing back Dano, and now Alfie. Just seems like the status quo is gonna be what we get, at least the kids are gonna get a real shot. (Now if rumours start up that Holland is talking about bringing Quincey back...)

I don't quite understand the comparison. Every Wings fan in the world would take Alfie over those two players you mentioned. Emmerton is no longer with the organization and Andersson will probably struggle to make the team. I think where most people are upset with Alfie re-signing is the Red Wings could have pursued younger options for a top-six winger through free agency. Alfie was productive, but he tailed off in the second half and had injury concerns. Plus he will be 42 years old in December. I don't despise Alfie coming back, but I can absolutely understand the opposition to this move.

I forgot EmDog was even gone, that's how much of a fan I was of him :) Basically, my opinion was more along the lines that Alfie is a player I think our team will need this season. Even if his cap hit might be on the high side (for a player almost 42 yrs like you mentioned), Detroit will benefit with him in the lineup.

As far as other options, I feel that some might be throwing the baby out with the bathwater (suck it, ol' timey sayings). Cleaning house helps, and obviously a few players will not be back, but you can't just get rid of everyone, and in my opinion you keep Alfie.

I am thrilled about this. The cap's going up, and let's be serious: Ken Holland is not likely to come close to hitting the ceiling even after signing Alfie. The guy was an important player down the stretch last year and really only slowed down after the Olympics for a few weeks, just like the notably younger Kronwall. He came back and played well after that all things considered and you'd have to be a fool to think that he wasn't an important locker room presence in a young room like we had. That presence will no doubt serve us well next year as well, perhaps even more so as the kids move into a full time role. I don't see the downside to it at all, especially knowing that we are moving on from other older players. He can still contribute, he can still lead, and he's hungry to win. This is a good thing.

And I'll say it again, I really don't think this team would've made the playoffs without him last year. He was the most consistent veteran presence we had in the lineup throughout the season, and as all of his teammates said, when Pavs and Z went down, Alfie really stepped up and started taking on more of a leadership role, and that group of guys he was leading was ultimately the group that got the job done and earned a playoff spot.

We also have to hope this seals Cleary's fate considering no one in their right mind would choose Cleary over Alfie and there aren't going to be that many spots available. But who knows on that one with Holland, where's what's up is down and what's wrong is right...

Ugh.

I just can't get over that news.

Dan Cleary on the 2014-15 Wings roster...hold on, let me just check that off on my sadness scavenger hunt.

Where the hell is he going to play?

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - ?

Franzen - Weiss - Nyquist (?)

Tatar - Sheahan - Jurco

Miller -- Helm - Abdlekader

Does this mean Alfredsson plays on Datsyuk’s wing? Not a chance. We all know Babcock wants a puck hound on that line. Unfortunately, that’ll probably be Abdlekader.

For me, without trying to be overly negative, an Alfie signing means Jurco starts the year in GRs.

edit: unless, of course, one or more of the kids get traded.

Edited by rick zombo

I forgot EmDog was even gone, that's how much of a fan I was of him :) Basically, my opinion was more along the lines that Alfie is a player I think our team will need this season. Even if his cap hit might be on the high side (for a player almost 42 yrs like you mentioned), Detroit will benefit with him in the lineup.

As far as other options, I feel that some might be throwing the baby out with the bathwater (suck it, ol' timey sayings). Cleaning house helps, and obviously a few players will not be back, but you can't just get rid of everyone, and in my opinion you keep Alfie.

I agree. I think Alfie can help the Wings, but it probably wouldn't have hurt to explore other younger options instead either. As others have mentioned already, Holland is usually overly content with the status quo. The Wings are stale and have been for awhile now. The only thing that has changed that at all were the kids and they only got an opportunity because of injuries. I don't believe the Wings need to clean house entirely, but they could afford to alter their approach some considering the team hasn't been out of the second round in four years now. Edited by GoWings1905

One year, 3-3.5m and I think it is a perfectly fine deal.

I sorta doubt the Wings had any plans to go after any of the top forward FAs anyways, and would have had to overpay to land any of them.

I hope they can now just focus on defense.