• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#41 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:52 PM

I'd take a 40-something Alfie over a few of the forwards on our team (Emmerton, Andersson). I just can't understand people sometimes. Detroit had a terrible year last year, not just Alfie, He never got to click with the team because the team was never fully healthy. It was just a lousy year for the team. And Alfie still put up 49 points in 68 games.

For me it's not that I completely don't want Alfie. I just want him as a last resort after going after some of the bigger name free agents. But what I don't want is Alfie signed before free agency even begins and before Holland has a chance to "kick the tires" of some other free agents.

#42 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,631 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:58 PM

I'd take a 40-something Alfie over a few of the forwards on our team (Emmerton, Andersson). I just can't understand people sometimes. Detroit had a terrible year last year, not just Alfie, He never got to click with the team because the team was never fully healthy. It was just a lousy year for the team. And Alfie still put up 49 points in 68 games.

I don't quite understand the comparison. Every Wings fan in the world would take Alfie over those two players you mentioned. Emmerton is no longer with the organization and Andersson will probably struggle to make the team. I think where most people are upset with Alfie re-signing is the Red Wings could have pursued younger options for a top-six winger through free agency. Alfie was productive, but he tailed off in the second half and had injury concerns. Plus he will be 42 years old in December. I don't despise Alfie coming back, but I can absolutely understand the opposition to this move.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#43 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:08 PM

Meh, he was a good signing last season, but the older he gets, the riskier it gets to bring him back.  He's going to be turning 42 years old in December...how many forwards are still effective at that age?  I wouldn't go more than $3 million and even that has plenty of risk....the problem with building a team with all these old players as Holland likes to do, is that old players are more injury prone.  

Uhhh.... Jagr is one that immediately comes to mind.

#44 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,049 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:11 PM

Alfie broke down in the 2nd half of the season and was invisible most nights, and in the playoffs. He's 41 and he isn't going to get any more durable as we go along. Wish he'd hung them up. I'll hold out hope for a trade or something, but the way we're going looks like were gonna bring the same damn team into next season.

Dude, if not for injuries, we would have made the Conference final.   ;)

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#45 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,094 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:25 PM

Dude, if not for injuries, we would have made the Conference final.   ;)

Of course :D I try not to be negative until after the fact (:lol:) but the talk of bringing back Dano, and now Alfie. Just seems like the status quo is gonna be what we get, at least the kids are gonna get a real shot. (Now if rumours start up that Holland is talking about bringing Quincey back...)

#NOMOREKINDL

#46 thegerkin

thegerkin

Statue of Liberty!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:26 PM

I don't quite understand the comparison. Every Wings fan in the world would take Alfie over those two players you mentioned. Emmerton is no longer with the organization and Andersson will probably struggle to make the team. I think where most people are upset with Alfie re-signing is the Red Wings could have pursued younger options for a top-six winger through free agency. Alfie was productive, but he tailed off in the second half and had injury concerns. Plus he will be 42 years old in December. I don't despise Alfie coming back, but I can absolutely understand the opposition to this move.

I forgot EmDog was even gone, that's how much of a fan I was of him :) Basically, my opinion was more along the lines that Alfie is a player I think our team will need this season. Even if his cap hit might be on the high side (for a player almost 42 yrs like you mentioned), Detroit will benefit with him in the lineup.

As far as other options, I feel that some might be throwing the baby out with the bathwater (suck it, ol' timey sayings). Cleaning house helps, and obviously a few players will not be back, but you can't just get rid of everyone, and in my opinion you keep Alfie.

#47 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:53 PM

I am thrilled about this. The cap's going up, and let's be serious: Ken Holland is not likely to come close to hitting the ceiling even after signing Alfie. The guy was an important player down the stretch last year and really only slowed down after the Olympics for a few weeks, just like the notably younger Kronwall. He came back and played well after that all things considered and you'd have to be a fool to think that he wasn't an important locker room presence in a young room like we had. That presence will no doubt serve us well next year as well, perhaps even more so as the kids move into a full time role. I don't see the downside to it at all, especially knowing that we are moving on from other older players. He can still contribute, he can still lead, and he's hungry to win. This is a good thing.

And I'll say it again, I really don't think this team would've made the playoffs without him last year. He was the most consistent veteran presence we had in the lineup throughout the season, and as all of his teammates said, when Pavs and Z went down, Alfie really stepped up and started taking on more of a leadership role, and that group of guys he was leading was ultimately the group that got the job done and earned a playoff spot.

We also have to hope this seals Cleary's fate considering no one in their right mind would choose Cleary over Alfie and there aren't going to be that many spots available. But who knows on that one with Holland, where's what's up is down and what's wrong is right...

Ugh.

I just can't get over that news.

Dan Cleary on the 2014-15 Wings roster...hold on, let me just check that off on my sadness scavenger hunt.

-Elliot

#48 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,478 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:06 PM

Where the hell is he going to play?

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - ?

Franzen - Weiss - Nyquist (?)

Tatar - Sheahan - Jurco

Miller -- Helm - Abdlekader

Does this mean Alfredsson plays on Datsyuk’s wing? Not a chance. We all know Babcock wants a puck hound on that line. Unfortunately, that’ll probably be Abdlekader. 

For me, without trying to be overly negative, an Alfie signing means Jurco starts the year in GRs. 

edit: unless, of course, one or more of the kids get traded.  

Edited by rick zombo, 23 June 2014 - 11:12 PM.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#49 Krayzie_Bone

Krayzie_Bone

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:23 PM

Im down as long as it is for a cheap price. He will get hurt alot during the year probably.

#50 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,631 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:25 PM

I forgot EmDog was even gone, that's how much of a fan I was of him :) Basically, my opinion was more along the lines that Alfie is a player I think our team will need this season. Even if his cap hit might be on the high side (for a player almost 42 yrs like you mentioned), Detroit will benefit with him in the lineup.

As far as other options, I feel that some might be throwing the baby out with the bathwater (suck it, ol' timey sayings). Cleaning house helps, and obviously a few players will not be back, but you can't just get rid of everyone, and in my opinion you keep Alfie.

I agree. I think Alfie can help the Wings, but it probably wouldn't have hurt to explore other younger options instead either. As others have mentioned already, Holland is usually overly content with the status quo. The Wings are stale and have been for awhile now. The only thing that has changed that at all were the kids and they only got an opportunity because of injuries. I don't believe the Wings need to clean house entirely, but they could afford to alter their approach some considering the team hasn't been out of the second round in four years now.

Edited by GoWings1905, 24 June 2014 - 10:00 AM.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#51 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:38 PM

One year, 3-3.5m and I think it is a perfectly fine deal. 

I sorta doubt the Wings had any plans to go after any of the top forward FAs anyways, and would have had to overpay to land any of them.

I hope they can now just focus on defense.

Posted Image

#52 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:22 AM

But honestly, who does everyone think this 'magic FA signing' was going to be anyway? People are talking about the fact that they regret KH signing Alfie now because it'll inhibit any free agent forward signing, whilst forgetting about the fact that the priority is to sign or trade for a defenseman. But Stastny wouldn't help, because we're good at C. Moulson? Is going to get horrendously overpaid and is probably overrated anyway from playing several years on Tavares wing. Gaborik? Will 99% be re-signing in LA. Vanek? Going to get massively overpaid and is lazy. Iginla? Maybe but he's 36 and wants to stay in Boston. 

So what's the issue here? Does anyone really feel that signing one of those players mentioned above would put us over the top? Surely it's more important for KH to address the glaring need on D? Thus, bringing Alfie back solidifies our top 6, he had a good season last year and hopefully a healthy, productive season from Stephen Weiss will go along way towards having a productive season. 

Edited by wings4thecup06, 24 June 2014 - 03:23 AM.

temp 1

#53 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:55 AM

Alfie like many other of the over the hill Holland signings would have been fine and a very good addition to stacked roster, which is supposed to compete fro the Stanley Cup. The Wings on the other hand are looking at twilight, rebuildphase soon. Once this team is ready to compete again, Alfie will be gone and the team will still struggle with chemistry if we keep adding these "patchwork" players.

Would I want a guy like Vanek? For sure not but there are other options outthere or at least test out some younger GR players (i.e Jurco), it's not like this team is a surefire one to make the playoffs anyways so why not give the youth a chance ? Also the Alfie signing does nothing in terms of adressing two of the biggest holes this roster has.

1. plan going to forward ? I really don't see a plan here I honestly thought after last season we would be done with signing, bringing back players that will soon retire.

2. defense why not fix the defense wfirst and then decide what to do with the forwards ? It's not like Alfie is a must sign.

_Another thing I wanted to mention is why not allow him to end his legacy where it begun? Let him go back to Ottawa, get his number retired there and enjoy a well earned wealthy retirement.

Either Kenny has become too emotionally to his roster or he really lacks the fire he used to have..remember when the Wings needed goaltending ? Boom we sign Hasek...we need a physical presence alongside DMac and Probert ? Boom Shanahan, make the defense even stronger? Boom Stuart..that's the way to get things done and nowadays ? The last top UFA this team has signed was Hossa and only because he offered us a 1 year contract.

I get it, Niskanen will get overpaid by a team but there is a reason why this thing is called free agency sometimes you have to take a risk and overpay if you expect to fix a team. Also there might be a guy like Callahan available so it's not like Alfie is the best UFA option, also he doesn't make our team bigger or tougher to play against.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#54 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:10 AM

Alfie like many other of the over the hill Holland signings would have been fine and a very good addition to stacked roster, which is supposed to compete fro the Stanley Cup. The Wings on the other hand are looking at twilight, rebuildphase soon. Once this team is ready to compete again, Alfie will be gone and the team will still struggle with chemistry if we keep adding these "patchwork" players.

Would I want a guy like Vanek? For sure not but there are other options outthere or at least test out some younger GR players (i.e Jurco), it's not like this team is a surefire one to make the playoffs anyways so why not give the youth a chance ? Also the Alfie signing does nothing in terms of adressing two of the biggest holes this roster has.

1. plan going to forward ? I really don't see a plan here I honestly thought after last season we would be done with signing, bringing back players that will soon retire.

2. defense why not fix the defense wfirst and then decide what to do with the forwards ? It's not like Alfie is a must sign.

_Another thing I wanted to mention is why not allow him to end his legacy where it begun? Let him go back to Ottawa, get his number retired there and enjoy a well earned wealthy retirement.

Either Kenny has become too emotionally to his roster or he really lacks the fire he used to have..remember when the Wings needed goaltending ? Boom we sign Hasek...we need a physical presence alongside DMac and Probert ? Boom Shanahan, make the defense even stronger? Boom Stuart..that's the way to get things done and nowadays ? The last top UFA this team has signed was Hossa and only because he offered us a 1 year contract.

I get it, Niskanen will get overpaid by a team but there is a reason why this thing is called free agency sometimes you have to take a risk and overpay if you expect to fix a team. Also there might be a guy like Callahan available so it's not like Alfie is the best UFA option, also he doesn't make our team bigger or tougher to play against.

I think the general thing here though is, that if this team (including the kids now) can actually get fully healthy and perform like it should, then Alfie is that complementary player that every team needs to help them get the extra bit further. I don't think he'd consider going back to Ottawa after the debacle last summer. I think they've (Murray and Alfie) have burned that bridge. Obviously lots of people here are in favour, and lots of people are against this move. But at the end of the day, KH we've just brought back an affordable (relatively, pending the $$$) scoring winger that we are in desperate need of. 

As for the D first, I get that. But nothing really has started rolling yet. GMs can't start talking to FA's until wednesday, and the draft isn't until friday when all the GMs are in the same room for 2 days. If you have an opportunity to add something to your team I think you'd do it straight away regardless of the order you want to get things done in. 

There was a common theme amongst the old days when we could trade for guys like Hasek and Shanahan and that was the fact that there was no salary cap. We can't do that these days, because unlike before, you can't trade away all your top prospects for high end players and then plug your holes through free agency. There isn't the money, and all the loopholes have been closed. It is what it is today, you have to draft, develop, and supplement where you can without sacrificing your future. 

temp 1

#55 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:30 AM

It's better to have depth, then not have any at all.

When injuries happen and we have to call up a kid that isn't ready to replace D, Z, Mule or whoever (knock on wood no injuries). I would rather have Alfie then not have him. I highly doubt a kid will come up and produce at the level Alfie will, and provide veteran leadership.

#56 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:49 AM

checkoverpayment.jpg

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#57 Shinzaki

Shinzaki

Rookie

• Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:41 AM

This bothers me way more than the Cleary try out.  Alfie's  looking to sign a deal and eat cap $$$ and top six minutes.  Cleary is going to be evaluated in camp...if his knee can take the abuse he's either on the third or ...more likely...fourth line or in Grand Rapids teaching Teemu and Athanasiou "Gritty 101"

#58 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:56 AM

I thought he was awesome when he was playing together with the eurotwins. I also feel that he need to be playing on the left dot on the powerplay to utilize his one timer. Powerplay needs to have way more looks as it's getting stagnant

#59 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:58 AM

Btw I'm clearly against bringing him back but are people really worried about the cap hit? Lol. It doesn't matter if he signs for 1m or 10m. We won't be close to the ceiling cause KH won't sign or trade for anyone.

I'm against it because he takes a valuable roster spot. I'd rather jurco be playing than him for example.

#60 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:08 AM

Btw I'm clearly against bringing him back but are people really worried about the cap hit? Lol. It doesn't matter if he signs for 1m or 10m. We won't be close to the ceiling cause KH won't sign or trade for anyone.

I'm against it because he takes a valuable roster spot. I'd rather jurco be playing than him for example.

Why can't they both be playing?