• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:55 PM

Not sure if this falls under rumors or what not.  Sorry if it does.

If Igninla hit Free Agency, who wouldn't be in the mix?

The Boston Bruins are hopeful they will retain free agent forward Jarome Iginla, but as TSN's Darren Dreger explained in an appearance on TSN 690 in Montreal, general manager Peter Chiarelli's staff might be losing momentum. 

Dreger suggested if the Bruins are unable to strike a deal with the former Flame, the Detroit Red Wings would be "in the mix" for his services.

http://www.thescore....nhl/news/525939

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#2 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,925 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:56 PM

Cue the "too old" crowd

#3 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:07 PM

Cue the "too old" crowd

You beat me to it. 

temp 1

#4 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,246 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:15 PM

It's not even in Dreger's Twitter feed.  It's in someone named Connor McKenna's feed that he says Dreger mentions this.  Definitely rumor mill.

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#5 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,133 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:15 PM

Alfredsson - 41

Iginla - 36

Datsyuk - 35

Cleary - 35

Franzen - 34

Zetterberg - 33

Weiss - 31

Playing with fire, Kenny. Playing with fire.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#6 Wings3:16

Wings3:16

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:16 PM

I'd take Iginla over Alfie...

Wings in 2013...Bring the Cup back to Hockeytown!

#7 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:16 PM

Cue the "too old" crowd

Fair enough.  But you're being dismissive.  It's just as wrong to suggest age doesn't matter at all as to suggest that it's the only thing that matters.  Surely you'd agree that there is some downside to exclusively targeting past their prime vets, no?

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#8 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,925 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:33 PM

Fair enough.  But you're being dismissive.  It's just as wrong to suggest age doesn't matter at all as to suggest that it's the only thing that matters.  Surely you'd agree that there is some downside to exclusively targeting past their prime vets, no?

Agreed, but the tendency around here is outrage over signing anyone even approaching the twilight of their career. Iginla contributed 61 pts last year, that's better than most players currently in their prime.

#9 DannyD

DannyD

Rookie

• Pip
  • 189 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:34 PM

I'd take Iginla over Alfie...

As would I, I just don't see him jumping ship to DET when they beat us so bad in the playoffs. 

#10 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:47 PM

Agreed, but the tendency around here is outrage over signing anyone even approaching the twilight of their career. Iginla contributed 61 pts last year, that's better than most players currently in their prime.

Also agreed.  Although I'd caution anyone against thinking would be likely on our team.  I'd be amazed if he put up 50 pts. with our anemic offense. 

But sure, on the right team, with the right roster, and the right system, vets can be a big help.  For those of us (like me) who are skeptical of signing more aging vets, I think the argument is that we're not the right team.  Teams full of high end talent in their primes can add around the edges with aging vets.  A team full of guys who are aging and injury prone probably shouldn't (is my argument). 

Edited by kipwinger, 24 June 2014 - 01:47 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#11 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:12 PM

Iginla > Alfredsson

I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#12 WingsallTheway

WingsallTheway

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:02 PM

Can still contribute and would probably fit well. 

Extremely possible considering hes over 35, which has Holland's attention. I'm Just not overly optimistic about the inevitable 5 year contract paired with a NMC.

wingsalltheway.jpg

Pavel datsyuk is the best player in the world because he snatches the puck from unsuspecting players and  follows it up by the simultaneous undressing of the defence pairing. The goalie then gives up, and flops like a fish. The end result is a calm skate back to his bench  where he can bask in the praise of his multiple girlfriends from the motherland.

#13 Shinzaki

Shinzaki

Rookie

• Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:43 PM

I've stated before that Iginla on the top line is my preference (accompanied by a Franzen buyout and a hearty farewell to Alfie)

#14 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:00 PM

Iginla>>>>>Alf>>>>>Franzen
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#15 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,925 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:02 PM

Also agreed.  Although I'd caution anyone against thinking would be likely on our team.  I'd be amazed if he put up 50 pts. with our anemic offense. 

But sure, on the right team, with the right roster, and the right system, vets can be a big help.  For those of us (like me) who are skeptical of signing more aging vets, I think the argument is that we're not the right team.  Teams full of high end talent in their primes can add around the edges with aging vets.  A team full of guys who are aging and injury prone probably shouldn't (is my argument). 

But they can all be best friends

I've stated before that Iginla on the top line is my preference (accompanied by a Franzen buyout and a hearty farewell to Alfie)

You're right, this is a good time and place to discuss buying out Franzen again

#16 krsmith17

krsmith17

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:12 PM

Lol it literally comes up in every single thread. It's kinda funny actually.

G E T   T H E   F U C K   O V E R   I T ! ! !

F R A N Z E N   I S   N O T   G E T T I N G   B O U G H T   O U T ! ! !

#17 Shinzaki

Shinzaki

Rookie

• Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:14 PM

Waaaahhhhhhh....the mean people are picking on Franzy the Panzy again....

#18 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:05 PM

I'd just like for us to be "in the mix" for a free agent who's going to stick around for a while. If we were in a better position to win a cup, I'd say sure. But come on. Enough with the old farts that'll be here for a season or two.

#19 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,925 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:39 PM

Half of Holland's future core is still in the minors. He's going to continue to sign older gap players until they are all here in Detroit. He's not going to commit to anything huge in a trade or FA acquisition until he's done remaking his young core through his prospects. Holland hopes for a cup tomorrow, but plans for the cup 10 years from now. It's the nature of the beast and it's obvious. He doesn't care about getting Datsyuk and Zetterberg a cup, he cares about getting the Red Wings another cup. If it bothers you, you can bash him and whine like Crosby, but it won't change. I've decided to just get excited about our prospects, and hope (like Holland) that we can squeeze one more cup out of the Alfies of the world.

I'm all for big name acquisition fantasy's like Vanek or whoever, but I understand the huge financial/cap risk those players pose, and why Holland won't get involved unless he gets them for a steal. Iginla is someone who's going to sign a very short contract for an expensive, but not inflated cap hit. Which is perfect for team waiting for its youngens to develop.

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Iginla

Nyquist - Weiss - Franzen

Tatar - Helm - Alfredsson

Miller - Sheahan - Abdelkader

Jurco, Glendening

is ridiculously deep even with the inevitable injuries and a possible crappy Weiss

#20 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:05 PM

Waaaahhhhhhh....the mean people are picking on Franzy the Panzy again....

In every thread?  It gets old....man.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid