• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
rrasco

Wings "in the mix" for Iginla

Rate this topic

Not sure if this falls under rumors or what not. Sorry if it does.

If Igninla hit Free Agency, who wouldn't be in the mix?

The Boston Bruins are hopeful they will retain free agent forward Jarome Iginla, but as TSN's Darren Dreger explained in an appearance on TSN 690 in Montreal, general manager Peter Chiarelli's staff might be losing momentum.

Dreger suggested if the Bruins are unable to strike a deal with the former Flame, the Detroit Red Wings would be "in the mix" for his services.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/525939

Cue the "too old" crowd

Fair enough. But you're being dismissive. It's just as wrong to suggest age doesn't matter at all as to suggest that it's the only thing that matters. Surely you'd agree that there is some downside to exclusively targeting past their prime vets, no?

Fair enough. But you're being dismissive. It's just as wrong to suggest age doesn't matter at all as to suggest that it's the only thing that matters. Surely you'd agree that there is some downside to exclusively targeting past their prime vets, no?

Agreed, but the tendency around here is outrage over signing anyone even approaching the twilight of their career. Iginla contributed 61 pts last year, that's better than most players currently in their prime.

Agreed, but the tendency around here is outrage over signing anyone even approaching the twilight of their career. Iginla contributed 61 pts last year, that's better than most players currently in their prime.

Also agreed. Although I'd caution anyone against thinking would be likely on our team. I'd be amazed if he put up 50 pts. with our anemic offense.

But sure, on the right team, with the right roster, and the right system, vets can be a big help. For those of us (like me) who are skeptical of signing more aging vets, I think the argument is that we're not the right team. Teams full of high end talent in their primes can add around the edges with aging vets. A team full of guys who are aging and injury prone probably shouldn't (is my argument).

Edited by kipwinger

Also agreed. Although I'd caution anyone against thinking would be likely on our team. I'd be amazed if he put up 50 pts. with our anemic offense.

But sure, on the right team, with the right roster, and the right system, vets can be a big help. For those of us (like me) who are skeptical of signing more aging vets, I think the argument is that we're not the right team. Teams full of high end talent in their primes can add around the edges with aging vets. A team full of guys who are aging and injury prone probably shouldn't (is my argument).

But they can all be best friends

I've stated before that Iginla on the top line is my preference (accompanied by a Franzen buyout and a hearty farewell to Alfie)

You're right, this is a good time and place to discuss buying out Franzen again

I'd just like for us to be "in the mix" for a free agent who's going to stick around for a while. If we were in a better position to win a cup, I'd say sure. But come on. Enough with the old farts that'll be here for a season or two.

Half of Holland's future core is still in the minors. He's going to continue to sign older gap players until they are all here in Detroit. He's not going to commit to anything huge in a trade or FA acquisition until he's done remaking his young core through his prospects. Holland hopes for a cup tomorrow, but plans for the cup 10 years from now. It's the nature of the beast and it's obvious. He doesn't care about getting Datsyuk and Zetterberg a cup, he cares about getting the Red Wings another cup. If it bothers you, you can bash him and whine like Crosby, but it won't change. I've decided to just get excited about our prospects, and hope (like Holland) that we can squeeze one more cup out of the Alfies of the world.

I'm all for big name acquisition fantasy's like Vanek or whoever, but I understand the huge financial/cap risk those players pose, and why Holland won't get involved unless he gets them for a steal. Iginla is someone who's going to sign a very short contract for an expensive, but not inflated cap hit. Which is perfect for team waiting for its youngens to develop.

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Iginla

Nyquist - Weiss - Franzen

Tatar - Helm - Alfredsson

Miller - Sheahan - Abdelkader

Jurco, Glendening

is ridiculously deep even with the inevitable injuries and a possible crappy Weiss

I've been pro-Alfie, but I would actually prefer Iginla over him - I think either one could have a place on the team. Realistically, Iginla would bring more of what the Red Wings need (shoot first player, grit).

I've been pro-Alfie, but I would actually prefer Iginla over him - I think either one could have a place on the team. Realistically, Iginla would bring more of what the Red Wings need (shoot first player, grit).

I think Alfie brings that shoot first mentality too, but Iginla would add size and grit to our lineup most definitely. I would take both if I could.

I think Alfie brings that shoot first mentality too, but Iginla would add size and grit to our lineup most definitely. I would take both if I could.

The only issue with that, I think, is Jurco being weeded out of the line-up.