• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Ekmanc

Adam Almquist signed with KHL club

Rate this topic

It doesn't indicate that, "get an opportunity to play" indicates that some players especially younger guys would prefer to play in the KHL then in the minors. But your right most guys that have tasted the NHL don't leave unless they are forced to ( take the hint: Cleary), but now and again you do see some younger players go play in Russia or threaten to go back to Sweden. Doesn't mean they are not good enough to play in the NHL, players like to use the KHL as leverage, but sometimes I think they're bluff gets called and at that particular moment some of them prefer to go overseas for a couple years. They can make more than in the minors and can come back at any time. Taking out the fact that Radulov is Russian, the guy is getting paid something like 9 mil to play in the KHL, I too doubt that his childhood dream was to play in Russia, but he's not approaching 9 mil at the NHL level, so why not.

players that leave for Russia generally have questionable work ethic/attitude or defensive lapses. See Radulov or Omark for example. Or they lack the skill, see Emmerton.

players that leave for Russia generally have questionable work ethic/attitude or defensive lapses. See Radulov or Omark for example. Or they lack the skill, see Emmerton.

Generally yes, but cash is also a consideration- Emmerton could be a 4th liner in the NHL and get paid the minimum or as in his case he could go to Russia and get paid more. T

his case is different though it's not like Almquist is going back home, the only reason he is leaving is because Holland and Co. didn't want to give him a chance last season, even with all the problems on D. If he couldn't hack it then we could say he's not good enough, but since he wasn't getting a chance we don't know whether he's not good enough, not ready, or is simply being over looked.

My point is that if he was at least given a chance last year, it's possible that instead of bolting he'd still be in the organization, at the very minimum continuing to develop. It took Hudler over a year to get back to NHL game speed, Almquist's development will slow down exponentially in the KHL. And I care about his development mainly because I feel like he still has a chance with the Wings.

Honestly, I don't think it has as much to do with Almqvist "not being good enough" as him being in the wrong place at the wrong time. They're all gaga over finding a RH shot right now, so Sproul and Marchenko already look markedly better than he does. Obviously his size works against him, and if he had better foot speed, it could be worked around. If the reports about him being unwilling to hit the gym are true, then he kind of kicked himself there.

He's a skilled guy - great hockey IQ and works the blueline on the PP very well. Just didn't work out, as there are more appealing prospects in the system just behind him.

You misunderstand me. I was using Hudler to agree with you....

yes Hudler did return to the NHL but ultimately Holland decided not to re-sign him after a 50 pt season. Hudler is a the prototypical player that chooses to leave for the KHL. Skilled but average skater and useless in his own zone.

Generally yes, but cash is also a consideration- Emmerton could be a 4th liner in the NHL and get paid the minimum or as in his case he could go to Russia and get paid more. T

his case is different though it's not like Almquist is going back home, the only reason he is leaving is because Holland and Co. didn't want to give him a chance last season, even with all the problems on D. If he couldn't hack it then we could say he's not good enough, but since he wasn't getting a chance we don't know whether he's not good enough, not ready, or is simply being over looked.

My point is that if he was at least given a chance last year, it's possible that instead of bolting he'd still be in the organization, at the very minimum continuing to develop. It took Hudler over a year to get back to NHL game speed, Almquist's development will slow down exponentially in the KHL. And I care about his development mainly because I feel like he still has a chance with the Wings.

I dont think we will ever see Almquist in the NHL again, but we are obviously looking very differently at why he chose to flee to the KHL... Edited by RyanBarnes!

After watching him play in Grand Rapids, I can tell you this guy was ok, but not great. Even when the Wings signed Lashoff, I questioned that move. Lashoff and Almquist are what I would consider to be fringe NHL players. They have the skills to crack the lineup for the 4th pairing defense, but thats about it. They will have good games, but they are not NHL caliber defensemen.