• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:25 PM

It's not just size, you can be small if you're fast. He's not fast enough. It doesn't matter how well he moves the puck if 99% of the league can win most puck battles against you.

Actually it does. You haven't considered that one reason our current defensive squad looks so terrible is because they can't move the puck very well? We get stuck in our own zone because Lashoff, Kindl, Quincey, even Dekeyser, Ericsson and to some extent Kronwall struggle to cleanly start breakouts. It doesn't matter how good you are at winning puck battles if when you win the puck you do nothing constructive with it. 

Fingers crossed Holland has some big plans because if we go into next season with Kindl and Lashoff still around I'll be a bit upset that we let our best puck-moving d-man leave for Russia. 

#22 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:07 PM

It's not just size, you can be small if you're fast. He's not fast enough. It doesn't matter how well he moves the puck if 99% of the league can win most puck battles against you.

Actually it does. You haven't considered that one reason our current defensive squad looks so terrible is because they can't move the puck very well? We get stuck in our own zone because Lashoff, Kindl, Quincey, even Dekeyser, Ericsson and to some extent Kronwall struggle to cleanly start breakouts. It doesn't matter how good you are at winning puck battles if when you win the puck you do nothing constructive with it. 

Fingers crossed Holland has some big plans because if we go into next season with Kindl and Lashoff still around I'll be a bit upset that we let our best puck-moving d-man leave for Russia. 

So you want to trade one problem for another. I'd rather fix the issue.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#23 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,988 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 01:15 AM

A lot of players don't go to the KHL because they're not good enough to play in the NHL, they go because they can get an opportunity to play and will make more money.

Isn't "get an opportunity to play" the same thing as not playing in the NHL? And that would indicate they didnt have what it takes to play a more important role in the NHL. I think the salary argument is not valid for regular NHL players -there havent been that many quality players leaving for the KHL besides a couple of Russians deciding to return home. I can also say that most players never dream about the KHL, except maybe Russians, they dream of the NHL.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#24 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:50 AM

Isn't "get an opportunity to play" the same thing as not playing in the NHL? And that would indicate they didnt have what it takes to play a more important role in the NHL. I think the salary argument is not valid for regular NHL players -there havent been that many quality players leaving for the KHL besides a couple of Russians deciding to return home. I can also say that most players never dream about the KHL, except maybe Russians, they dream of the NHL.

It doesn't indicate that, "get an opportunity to play" indicates that some players especially younger guys would prefer to play in the KHL then in the minors. But your right most guys that have tasted the NHL don't leave unless they are forced to ( take the hint: Cleary), but now and again you do see some younger players go play in Russia or threaten to go back to Sweden. Doesn't mean they are not good enough to play in the NHL, players like to use the KHL as leverage, but sometimes I think they're bluff gets called and at that particular moment some of them prefer to go overseas for a couple years. They can make more than in the minors and can come back at any time. Taking out the fact that Radulov is Russian, the guy is getting paid something like 9 mil to play in the KHL, I too doubt that his childhood dream was to play in Russia, but he's not approaching 9 mil at the NHL level, so why not. 

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#25 lomekian

lomekian

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:56 AM

As KH is going to qualify him, I really think this is the best outcome for the wings.   If we had signed him, he would have got picked up off waivers for some bottom feeder with an imbalanced roster, while earning league minimum, and bouncing between the NHL and AHL while learning the ropes. This way he gets to earn good money and be guaranteed high level games, and we get to keep his rights rather than losing him for nothing. 

The staff all seem to agree that he was ready skill-wise and smarts-wise, but not physically. So this way they get to keep an eye on him while he develops, and if he ever manages to put on the extra 20-25 lbs that would make him big enough to play in the NHL for one not so tall or quick, we get first dobs. Indeed that way things were spoken of by AA and the wings brass suggests that this is an outcome that suits both parties and that both aniticipated and to a degree planned for. 

He really is an incredibly smart player, but was so small when he started that he is still too small with his limited  size increase..this was shown in the AHL playoffs where 2 years in a row he got injured (although both hits were very late and dirty as hell and should have led to suspensions). If you are a go to puck mover you have to be able to take the inevitable punishment aimed at you better than he currently can. If he gets to 26 and weighs 195, it would be great to bring him back, as a PP QB he is undoubtedly better than anyone on the big club not called Kronwall and any of the prospects bar Sproul. He didn't look out of place at NHL level, but his small frame meant they had to keep him sheltered, and more so than was reasonable long term. I, like many others, feel that if you are going to shelter Kindl's lack of intensity and Lashoff's lack of ability, then perhaps it was worth giving AA more games to see how he would cope, but then this is expecting too much from a coach that won't play Smith on the powerplay, thinks that Abledakder is a viable top line option rather than an effective occasional plug in, and seems determined to not keep or re-unite effective lines. (I still can't get over  putting legwand on the 4th line when the two players he had chemistry with, Nyquist and Franzen, were struggling).

It doesn't indicate that, "get an opportunity to play" indicates that some players especially younger guys would prefer to play in the KHL then in the minors. But your right most guys that have tasted the NHL don't leave unless they are forced to ( take the hint: Cleary), but now and again you do see some younger players go play in Russia or threaten to go back to Sweden. Doesn't mean they are not good enough to play in the NHL, players like to use the KHL as leverage, but sometimes I think they're bluff gets called and at that particular moment some of them prefer to go overseas for a couple years. They can make more than in the minors and can come back at any time. Taking out the fact that Radulov is Russian, the guy is getting paid something like 9 mil to play in the KHL, I too doubt that his childhood dream was to play in Russia, but he's not approaching 9 mil at the NHL level, so why not. 

Worked out ok for Hudler!

#26 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:03 AM

Worked out ok for Hudler!

Didn't say it always works out, but he did get paid more. Which was the reason he went.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#27 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,988 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:58 AM

players that leave for Russia generally have questionable work ethic/attitude or defensive lapses. See Radulov or Omark for example. Or they lack the skill, see Emmerton.

#28 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:38 AM

players that leave for Russia generally have questionable work ethic/attitude or defensive lapses. See Radulov or Omark for example. Or they lack the skill, see Emmerton.

Sooooo, Kovalchuk?? 

temp 1

#29 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:44 AM

Generally yes, but cash is also a consideration- Emmerton could be a 4th liner in the NHL and get paid the minimum or as in his case he could go to Russia and get paid more. T

his case is different though it's not like Almquist is going back home, the only reason he is leaving is because Holland and Co. didn't want to give him a chance last season, even with all the problems on D. If he couldn't hack it then we could say he's not good enough, but since he wasn't getting a chance we don't know whether he's not good enough, not ready, or is simply being over looked.

My point is that if he was at least given a chance last year, it's possible that instead of bolting he'd still be in the organization, at the very minimum continuing to develop. It took Hudler over a year to get back to NHL game speed, Almquist's development will slow down exponentially in the KHL. And I care about his development mainly because I feel like he still has a chance with the Wings.

#30 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:18 AM

Honestly, I don't think it has as much to do with Almqvist "not being good enough" as him being in the wrong place at the wrong time. They're all gaga over finding a RH shot right now, so Sproul and Marchenko already look markedly better than he does. Obviously his size works against him, and if he had better foot speed, it could be worked around. If the reports about him being unwilling to hit the gym are true, then he kind of kicked himself there.

He's a skilled guy - great hockey IQ and works the blueline on the PP very well. Just didn't work out, as there are more appealing prospects in the system just behind him.

#31 lomekian

lomekian

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:59 PM

Didn't say it always works out, but he did get paid more. Which was the reason he went.

You misunderstand me. I was using Hudler to agree with you....

#32 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:55 PM

I thought I detected some sarcasm, but I guess I was wrong. Sorry.

#33 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,988 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:38 AM

yes Hudler did return to the NHL but ultimately Holland decided not to re-sign him after a 50 pt season. Hudler is a the prototypical player that chooses to leave for the KHL. Skilled but average skater and useless in his own zone.

Generally yes, but cash is also a consideration- Emmerton could be a 4th liner in the NHL and get paid the minimum or as in his case he could go to Russia and get paid more. T

his case is different though it's not like Almquist is going back home, the only reason he is leaving is because Holland and Co. didn't want to give him a chance last season, even with all the problems on D. If he couldn't hack it then we could say he's not good enough, but since he wasn't getting a chance we don't know whether he's not good enough, not ready, or is simply being over looked.

My point is that if he was at least given a chance last year, it's possible that instead of bolting he'd still be in the organization, at the very minimum continuing to develop. It took Hudler over a year to get back to NHL game speed, Almquist's development will slow down exponentially in the KHL. And I care about his development mainly because I feel like he still has a chance with the Wings.

I dont think we will ever see Almquist in the NHL again, but we are obviously looking very differently at why he chose to flee to the KHL...

Edited by RyanBarnes!, 27 June 2014 - 09:52 AM.

#34 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,770 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:47 PM

After watching him play in Grand Rapids, I can tell you this guy was ok, but not great.  Even when the Wings signed Lashoff, I questioned that move.  Lashoff and Almquist are what I would consider to be fringe NHL players.  They have the skills to crack the lineup for the 4th pairing defense, but thats about it.  They will have good games, but they are not NHL caliber defensemen.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#35 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:26 AM

He jets at 23 after 1 breakout AHL season? Loser