• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest DeGraa55

Callahan re-signs with Lightning for 6 years 34.8m

Rate this topic

Please cite a reputable source when creating threads about signings.

Callahan breakdown: $6 M/ $6.4 M/ $6.5 M/ $6.5 M/ $4.7 M/ $4.7 M. For an AAV of $5.8 M per

The Ryan Callahan deal once finalized with Tampa will be six years x $5.8 M AAV with partial NTC

So once again a top flight UFA signs for less money than they were asking for publicly. So much for the weeping and nashing of teeth about how we can't afford player x, y, and z. Yes the 5th and 6th year may be an issue for TB. But if they win a SC over the next 6 years, well worth it.

This contract is ridiculous IMO and no way does he deserve nearly $6million per year. It's no damn wonder this game is f******. Mid level players keep getting and demanding contracts like this push the scale even higher for the future, which will no doubt lead to another lockout. It's nuts.

Guest DeGraa55

I like Callahan, but nearly $6 million a year for a guy that hasn't reached 55 points in his career is overpayment. Within the next few years, Stevie may be regretting this deal.

Callahan is also like a dat or z in the fact that he brings more to the team than just points.

If you looked at dats goals for example you'd think he is average. Look at EVERYTHING and you see he is a good player.

Callahan brings more than just points to their team.

His points per game are nearly identical to Dustin Brown's, and he brings all the same intangibles, for the same contract. I don't think this is a bad deal at all. It's not a steal for sure, but I think only the Red Wings and Red Wings fans believe each and every contract negotiation should end in the teams' favor.

I like Callahan, but nearly $6 million a year for a guy that hasn't reached 55 points in his career is overpayment. Within the next few years, Stevie may be regretting this deal.

I agree. While he certainly brings a lot more to the table than just points, $6m + should be reserved for genuine 1st line players. But due to the nature of the thing, idiots are paying those guys $8m+. Soon we'll be in double digits.

Leadership, intangibles, hard and soul guy and rolemodel for the younger players - some GMs are willing to make their team better even if it means overpayment (which is part of UFA).

Hockey is about more than just points you also need hardworking guys who are willing to go through the wall for you, Cally is that guy.

Leadership, intangibles, hard and soul guy and rolemodel for the younger players - some GMs are willing to make their team better even if it means overpayment (which is part of UFA).

Hockey is about more than just points you also need hardworking guys who are willing to go through the wall for you, Cally is that guy.

If you're trying to knock Holland, remember, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Kronwall have these intangibles in abundance.

Clarkson was a heart and soul guy too. Many here wanted Holland to sign him. Try telling a Leaf fan that "some GMs are willing to make their team better even if it means overpayment (which is part of UFA)".

Callahan is also like a dat or z in the fact that he brings more to the team than just points.

If you looked at dats goals for example you'd think he is average. Look at EVERYTHING and you see he is a good player.

Callahan brings more than just points to their team.

That's about the worst comparison ever. No one has ever thought Datsyuk was average, and he is much more than a "good player".

As for Callahan, I never saw the big deal. He's a slightly more talented Abdelkader in my eyes. I get that he brings more than points but it's still way more money than I'd pay for that kind of player.

If you're trying to knock Holland, remember, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Kronwall have these intangibles in abundance.

Clarkson was a heart and soul guy too. Many here wanted Holland to sign him. Try telling a Leaf fan that "some GMs are willing to make their team better even if it means overpayment (which is part of UFA)".

Not talking about Holland here just that some GMs are willing to do what needs to be done in their mind. Stevie is an outstanding GM he saw a need and fixed it so good for him and Tampa.

Not talking about Holland here just that some GMs are willing to do what needs to be done in their mind. Stevie is an outstanding GM he saw a need and fixed it so good for him and Tampa.

I'd say all GMs are more-or-less willing to do what needs to be done in their mind.

In some GMs minds, paying 6M/per for a guy like Callahan is what needs to be done. But that doens'y make him an outstanding GM.

Basically, you love Yzerman. Good for you. I love him too. But objectively speaking, he hasn't done a ******* thing worth writing about yet in his time in Tampa other than killing Murray in the Bishop deal.

I'd say all GMs are more-or-less willing to do what needs to be done in their mind.

In some GMs minds, paying 6M/per for a guy like Callahan is what needs to be done. But that doens'y make him an outstanding GM.

Basically, you love Yzerman. Good for you. I love him too. But objectively speaking, he hasn't done af****** thing worth writing about yet in his time in Tampa other than killing Murray in the Bishop deal.

Blindsided Sather like nothing although he didn't have much options ? Rebuilt Tampas AHL franchise ? I think he deserves a lot of credit even objectively speaking.

damn, there goes the player i wanted the most. alfie and cleary here we come. people that think this is a huge overpayment need to watch more hockey, hockey is so much more than points. just look at franzen. its a backes vs ovi debate. ill take the gritty guy with hands which callahan does have.

That's about the worst comparison ever. No one has ever thought Datsyuk was average, and he is much more than a "good player".

As for Callahan, I never saw the big deal. He's a slightly more talented Abdelkader in my eyes. I get that he brings more than points but it's still way more money than I'd pay for that kind of player.

If Abby could score 50 pts. I'd pay him 5.8 million too.

So Yzerman thinks a guy is good and signs him to a market rate-maybe slightly below contract, and a bunch of internet forum GM's think he screwed up? I wonder who's side I should take on this one???????

So Yzerman thinks a guy is good and signs him to a market rate-maybe slightly below contract, and a bunch of internet forum GM's think he screwed up? I wonder who's side I should take on this one???????

So $5.8 per for 6 years for a second line winger who plays a style that will lead his body to break down well before the contract is up is market value maybe below?

So $5.8 per for 6 years for a second line winger who plays a style that will lead his body to break down well before the contract is up is market value maybe below?

Who cares if his body breaks down? If his body wears down, they'll put him on LTIR (no cap hit) if he wants to fight through the injury and play another season or he'll retire if he can't (without a recapture penalty because it's post lock out). He could literally play for three more years, retire, and the Lightening would owe him nothing more than the three years salary and have a lower cap hit than the actual salary on top of it.

I don't see the problem with it.

Who cares if his body breaks down? If his body wears down, they'll put him on LTIR (no cap hit) if he wants to fight through the injury and play another season or he'll retire if he can't (without a recapture penalty because it's post lock out). He could literally play for three more years, retire, and the Lightening would owe him nothing more than the three years salary and have a lower cap hit than the actual salary on top of it.

I don't see the problem with it.

That's not actually what would happen if his body wears down - that's if he has one really serious injury. Injuries could just lower his ability to be effective and then they're stuck with a player who plays like last year's Cleary on their roster for the rest of his large contract.

Not really the best deal and it does have some risk, but Tampa pretty much were forced to resign him after St. Louis left. No other UFA would fill that hole. Good for them that they were able to talk him down at least a little from the demands that he made with NY.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk