Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:03 PM

Why are you so angry?

#22 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:06 PM

So Yzerman thinks a guy is good and signs him to a market rate-maybe slightly below contract, and a bunch of internet forum GM's think he screwed up? I wonder who's side I should take on this one???????

So $5.8 per for 6 years for a second line winger who plays a style that will lead his body to break down well before the contract is up is market value maybe below?

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#23 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:14 PM

So $5.8 per for 6 years for a second line winger who plays a style that will lead his body to break down well before the contract is up is market value maybe below?

Who cares if his body breaks down?  If his body wears down, they'll put him on LTIR (no cap hit) if he wants to fight through the injury and play another season or he'll retire if he can't (without a recapture penalty because it's post lock out).  He could literally play for three more years, retire, and the Lightening would owe him nothing more than the three years salary and have a lower cap hit than the actual salary on top of it.  

I don't see the problem with it. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#24 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:35 PM

Who cares if his body breaks down?  If his body wears down, they'll put him on LTIR (no cap hit) if he wants to fight through the injury and play another season or he'll retire if he can't (without a recapture penalty because it's post lock out).  He could literally play for three more years, retire, and the Lightening would owe him nothing more than the three years salary and have a lower cap hit than the actual salary on top of it.  

That's not actually what would happen if his body wears down - that's if he has one really serious injury. Injuries could just lower his ability to be effective and then they're stuck with a player who plays like last year's Cleary on their roster for the rest of his large contract.

Not really the best deal and it does have some risk, but Tampa pretty much were forced to resign him after St. Louis left. No other UFA would fill that hole. Good for them that they were able to talk him down at least a little from the demands that he made with NY. 

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk, 25 June 2014 - 10:36 PM.

#25 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:00 AM

Don't get me wrong, I like him as a player...
I just really really really don't think he's worth that.

#26 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:12 AM

Its not about the length for me, it's the $$$. We had one lockout where salaries were rolled back and a hard cap of $39 million introduced because they were deemed to be getting out of hand. In the time since we've got a cap that's nearly doubled, and mid level players salaries are rising again. Which means that the top players want to earn even more, to separate their egos above those of the middle level, further driving salaries higher. 

Look at the highest salaries from 03-04:
Forsberg = $11m

Jagr = $11m

Fedorov = $10m

Here's after the first lockout - 05-06:

Jagr = $8.36m

Lidstrom = $7.6m

Now look at today - 13-14:

Weber $14m

Crosby = $12m

Parise = $11m

So what was the point of both of these lockouts, if the primary aim was to reduce salaries? They've now caught and surpasses pre 2003 levels. That's why for me, its tough to sit here watch a mid level 2nd line role player like Callahan get a mega contract when if not for greed and stupidity we could have avoided 3 lockouts. 

temp 1

#27 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 03:14 AM

No if his body breaks down they'll be paying $5.8 mil for 30 points and 60 games.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#28 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,812 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:36 AM

Its not about the length for me, it's the $$$. We had one lockout where salaries were rolled back and a hard cap of $39 million introduced because they were deemed to be getting out of hand. In the time since we've got a cap that's nearly doubled, and mid level players salaries are rising again. Which means that the top players want to earn even more, to separate their egos above those of the middle level, further driving salaries higher. 

Look at the highest salaries from 03-04:
Forsberg = $11m

Jagr = $11m

Fedorov = $10m

Here's after the first lockout - 05-06:

Jagr = $8.36m

Lidstrom = $7.6m

Now look at today - 13-14:

Weber $14m

Crosby = $12m

Parise = $11m

So what was the point of both of these lockouts, if the primary aim was to reduce salaries? They've now caught and surpasses pre 2003 levels. That's why for me, its tough to sit here watch a mid level 2nd line role player like Callahan get a mega contract when if not for greed and stupidity we could have avoided 3 lockouts. 

There is no point in those stupid lockouts, never was never will. Players are the product people want to watch and I'm glad hard and soul guys are getting to make good money too. Since GMs can't provide longterm contracts the average caphits were about to rise that's so simple.

Also first line players like Toews, Kane are going to break the double digit numbers for sure.

If Y thinks Cally is worth that and other GMs do too then so be it. One heck of a player who gives it all. Niskanen will make the same or maybe more.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#29 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:40 AM

There is no point in those stupid lockouts, never was never will. Players are the product people want to watch and I'm glad hard and soul guys are getting to make good money too. Since GMs can't provide longterm contracts the average caphits were about to rise that's so simple.

Also first line players like Toews, Kane are going to break the double digit numbers for sure.

If Y thinks Cally is worth that and other GMs do too then so be it. One heck of a player who gives it all. Niskanen will make the same or maybe more.

I agree about the lockouts. But do you think that its a problem that salaries are constantly escalating? I mean, obviously its good that good, hard working players get rewarded, but isn't it getting a bit ridiculous? 

temp 1

#30 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,812 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:46 AM

I agree about the lockouts. But do you think that its a problem that salaries are constantly escalating? I mean, obviously its good that good, hard working players get rewarded, but isn't it getting a bit ridiculous? 

Na I don't think so the market dictates the prices and as the UFA classes keep getting worse, the price for the better guys is going to tise. As for the Clarkson contract I think the guy had a very bad season but will show them next year what he can do.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#31 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:59 AM

The reason mid-level players like Callahan (if that's what everyone thinks he is) can get so much money is because everyone has locked up their stars for 7-15 years.  Nobody goes on the open market anymore.  I almost think they should limit contracts to three or four years, and adjust the cap accordingly, just to keep the flow of talent moving in the league.  It used to be exciting seeing trades and UFA signings, now teams have to wait for a decade to rebuild through the draft and hope they're good. 

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#32 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:08 AM

No if his body breaks down they'll be paying $5.8 mil for 30 points and 60 games.

OR, he goes on LTIR or retires.  There's not just one possible outcome here.  And at least the two I've identified carry no long term fiscal exposure for the Lightening, which is probably why they weren't too worried about the contract. 

I agree that his contract carries some risks.  They all do.  But you're acting like it's a foregone conclusion that this contract is terrible and will bite them in the ass.  I'm just providing two realistic alternatives to that narrative which don't end with this being a catastrophe for Tampa.  You're welcome to disagree with their relative likelihood.  But surely you won't deny that a "Brian Rafalski" scenario couldn't happen with Callahan if his body deteriorated before his contract expired. 

Edited by kipwinger, 26 June 2014 - 07:11 AM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#33 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:10 AM

OR, he goes on LTIR or retires.  There's not just one possible outcome here.  And at least the two I've identified carry no long term fiscal exposure for the Lightening, which is probably why they weren't too worried about the contract. 

I agree that his contract carries some risks.  They all do.  But you're acting like it's a foregone conclusion that this contract is terrible and will bite them in the ass.  I'm just providing two realistic alternatives to that narrative which don't end with this being a catastrophe for Tampa.  You're welcome to disagree with their relative likelihood.  But surely you won't deny that a "Brian Rafalski" scenario couldn't happen with Callahan if his body deteriorated before his contract expired. 

He can't go on ltir because he's injury prone. He has to have a real documented injury. I can't see him retiring at 32 or 33 with that much money on the table either.