376 replies to this topic

#181 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,015 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 02:59 PM

Vancouver got fleeced. Their fans are already rioting on their blog site

Reluctant as I am to defend anything Canucks related, in Kesler they had a disgruntled player with a full NTC.  Their bargaining position was pretty weak. 

Given those circumstances I think they did ok. 

#182 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:52 PM

I understand the concern to a point, but Niskanen wasn't a Cheechoo. He was a very good defenseman for years, who has been improving each year, and had a breakout season. It's not like he came out of nowhere. He is the age where defensemen usually break out. If there was any player and age to take a risk, it's Niskanen. Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#183 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:27 PM

Reluctant as I am to defend anything Canucks related, in Kesler they had a disgruntled player with a full NTC.  Their bargaining position was pretty weak. 

Given those circumstances I think they did ok. 

I agree.

Bonino isn't a chump player.  He had 49 points in 77 games for the Ducks last season.  He is also only 26 years old and coming into his prime years.  I think the Canucks will find Bonino will produce very well for them.

Edited by Nightfall, 27 June 2014 - 06:27 PM.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#184 matt198913

matt198913

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:50 PM

Be nice to have pair with Dekeyser
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#185 Ekmanc

Ekmanc

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:56 PM

I really want us to get Niskanen, he is just what we need right now.

#186 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,826 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:00 PM

Luca Sbisa?

Isn't he sleeping with the fishes?

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#187 sjr2012

sjr2012

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:00 PM

I know its way to far fetched but do you think it would be a improvement if wings nabbed up Havlet and Niskanen than let cleary walk and sign alfie for a cheaper rate?

Z Dats Havlet

Franzen Weiss Alfie

Goose Helm  Tats

Abby Glending Miller

Kronwall Niskanen

DD    Smith

Kindl   Big E

Lashoff

Howie

Gus

try to get something by me i dare you

:goalie:

#188 Ekmanc

Ekmanc

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:02 PM

No thanks on Havlat, he hasn't been the same since Kronwall nearly killed him.

#189 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,698 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:04 PM

you left out Sheahan...

.. And Jurco

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#190 Shinzaki

Shinzaki

Rookie

• Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:13 PM

Yeah...sign me up to put Havlat on the top line and Sheahan in the Twilight Zone...

Edited by Shinzaki, 27 June 2014 - 09:13 PM.

#191 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:14 PM

you left out Sheahan...
.. And Jurco

Who needs Sheahan and Jurco when you have Havlat? lol
"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#192 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:24 PM

Anyone hear anything new on Niskanen? I know he met with teams like Minnesota. If he goes there I'm going to go postal.

#193 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:25 PM

Anyone hear anything new on Niskanen? I know he met with teams like Minnesota. If he goes there I'm going to go postal.

Sorry for slightly OT but Postal 2 has been one of the best games ever made.

If he goes there their defense will be damn scary.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#194 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:29 PM

Sorry for slightly OT but Postal 2 has been one of the best games ever made.

If he goes there their defense will be damn scary.

I know they are going hard after Vanek too. Not sure if they have the Cap for both or not. Niskanen is a Minnesota native which scares me. Apparently they are meeting with him tomorrow because Niskanen is getting married today.

Edited by Datsyukian-Deke, 28 June 2014 - 01:31 PM.

#195 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 05:48 PM

Overpay and get him.

The cap era has screwed over the players in every way except during unrestricted free agency. We're not going to fill the gap on defense by any other means so let's pony up.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#196 arag

arag

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 780 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 06:29 PM

In reality there is no such a thing as the Right D man for the Right price. No need to say that regardless of the position played, every UFA is being overpaid. Overpaying for the premiere D man is perfectly fine. And one more thing. Don't we, the loyal fans pay for some, if not the most of their salaries ? We want some results. I think we all have been patient enough waiting for our team to get what it needs to be competitive and be an elite team. I think we deserve that. Go Wings and get this guy already.

Edited by arag, 28 June 2014 - 06:31 PM.

#197 SimonSin

SimonSin

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 06:45 PM

Just our luck he's from Minnesota and he'll probably go there. I honestly look at it through my eyes and if I was a player and had a chance to play for my hometown I would do it in a heartbeat. Especially a place like Minnesota where they're hockey crazy and they're starting to come together as a contender. I guess if we lose out on Niskanen we shouldn't go after Minnesota born players anymore. :sleepy:

#198 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 07:07 PM

Do you guys think Minny has enough to sign Niskanen and Vanek? They have 9 forwards signed, 6 defensemen, and 2 goalies. They have roughly 19 mill in cap space so roughly need to sign 5 players or so. Hopefully they only go for Vanek.

#199 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,094 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 07:23 PM

I understand the concern to a point, but Niskanen wasn't a Cheechoo. He was a very good defenseman for years, who has been improving each year, and had a breakout season. It's not like he came out of nowhere. He is the age where defensemen usually break out. If there was any player and age to take a risk, it's Niskanen. Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

I think if anything he was just put in a position to excel. Bylsma seemed to understand his strengths and limitations and play him accordingly. Put him on your second pairing, give the toughest assignments to your first pairing, and let him run the first unit PP.

I fear we end up overpaying Sami Salo.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#200 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 07:36 PM

I think if anything he was just put in a position to excel. Bylsma seemed to understand his strengths and limitations and play him accordingly. Put him on your second pairing, give the toughest assignments to your first pairing, and let him run the first unit PP.
I fear we end up overpaying Sami Salo.

That's exactly how we would use him, too, so...

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.