• Please log in to reply
376 replies to this topic

#41 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,497 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 01:31 PM

It should be noted that I'm happy that Holland is doing his due dilligence on this for sure.

That being said, I predict that Niskanen signs with Minnesota.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#42 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 01:33 PM

What???  Rangers, Canadiens and Maple Leafs have more cap space then we do...

Huh?!??! Factor in players all ready signed...I think were ahead.

Us: 16.8m we have 11 forwards 5 defenseman after Tatar, Sheahan and dekeyser resigned we have a full roster with most likely 12m to spare is my guess. We should have more money left than these teams....

Rangers:23.7m. After buying out Richards and have several expensive players to resign and need a 2c also only have 6 forwards and 4 defenseman. 3forward rfas should get big money to. Also forward is bigger need than defense.

Canadiens: 19.6m. Have to resign subban. So maybe but I think they need scoring more?

Maple leafs: 22.3m have 7 forwards and 4 defenseman signed....so umm they need to sign lots of guys.

Edited by DeGraa55, 26 June 2014 - 01:35 PM.

#43 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,816 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 01:34 PM

My sources indicate that he's gonna sign with the Blue Jackets...

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#44 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 01:40 PM

Huh?!??! LOL

Us: 16.8m

Rangers:23.7m. After buying out Richards and have several expensive players to resign and need a 2c also only have 6 forwards and 4 defenseman. 3forward rfas should get big money to. Also forward is bigger need than defense.

Canadiens: 19.6m. Have to resign subban. So maybe but I think they need scoring more?

Maple leafs: 22.3m have 7 forwards and 4 defenseman signed....so umm they need to sign lots of guys.

Right...so none of those teams have "cap issues". Lots of space and bodies to work with.

The point is they all have the flexibility to sign a big FA or make a move or two.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#45 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 01:48 PM

Right...so none of those teams have "cap issues". Lots of space and bodies to work with.

The point is they all have the flexibility to sign a big FA or make a move or two.

But the rangers and Canadiens need scoring their D is fine. I think we be only original six team after him....if we are.

#46 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:03 PM

According to this we are so in favor of Niskanen that we are prepared to offer him a 7 year deal.

http://msn.foxsports...niskanen-062614

Two things can happen. We sign him to a long term deal and get stuck with him if he doesn't pan out

Or

He reaches his true potential and we get him for a good cap hit and don't have to worry about giving him a raise for 7 years.

#47 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,497 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:08 PM

According to this we are so in favor of Niskanen that we are prepared to offer him a 7 year deal.

http://msn.foxsports...niskanen-062614

Two things can happen. We sign him to a long term deal and get stuck with him if he doesn't pan out

Or

He reaches his true potential and we get him for a good cap hit and don't have to worry about giving him a raise for 7 years.

Yeah, 7 years @ 4M per. :lol: (I kid)

#48 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,531 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:09 PM

KH:  "Hey Ryan, you should sign with us".

RS:  "Why would I do that?  My boyfried's girlfrien is from Minnesota."

KH:  "We're prepared to offer you 13 years/90 M and check it out, our 88 year old owner got he ass on a plane to personallycome see you at you farm".

RS:  "boyfriend!!!!"

KH: "s***. I better overpay for Mattf****** Niskanen now so the fan-boy wack jobs at LGWs think I'm a good GM"

You're trying to make it look like I said something I didn't.  I never mentioned Ryan Suter.  Or overpayment.  Or any of the other things you've added to my post.  I said I don't think Niskanen will leave his current team, for a worse team, for less money.  If you want to talk about that, fine.  If you want to make things up, I'm not sure what to do with you. 

It would be cool if you could take it down since you're LITERALLY putting words in my mouth.  I'd be more than happy to discuss the topic with you.  But I'm not going to defend some imaginary thing you've LITERALLY invented and placed in a quote box with my name on it. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#49 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,497 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:15 PM

You're trying to make it look like I said something I didn't.  I never mentioned Ryan Suter.  Or overpayment.  Or any of the other things you've added to my post.  I said I don't think Niskanen will leave his current team, for a worse team, for less money.  If you want to talk about that, fine.  If you want to make things up, I'm not sure what to do with you. 

It would be cool if you could take it down since you're LITERALLY putting words in my mouth.  I'd be more than happy to discuss the topic with you.  But I'm not going to defend some imaginary thing you've LITERALLY invented and placed in a quote box with my name on it. 

Yeah, I'll remove it. My apologies.

I was merely pointing out that Holland doesn't always offer less than market value for UFAs. I thought that was pretty obvious.

#50 DannyD

DannyD

Rookie

• Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:43 PM

While I do love most of our kid Dmen I think signing Niskanen would give us a lot of options when it comes to trading some of them to better our team.

Personally I would keep the righties (Marchenko and Sproul) and attempt to trade Bäckman and/or Ouellet in a package for someone like Kesler or E.Kane. OR to move up to the top of the draft and get ourselves a future #1C.

Tats+Helm+Ouellet for Kane/Kesler

Kronner-Dekeyser

Niskanen-Smith

Big E-Marchenko/Bäckman 

That D is a TON better than last year. No Kindl, Lashoff or Quincey in the top 6.

#51 SimonSin

SimonSin

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:47 PM

I wouldn't want Niskanen for more than 5 million, 4.5 would be ideal. He'd be getting a 2 million dollar a year raise with a max 7 year contract. At 27 he could only get better. I really don't see this guy being a bust. Signing him would really improve the blue line. You have to do what you have to do at the moment to make your team better and he'd be a great fit.

#52 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:50 PM

Crazy to think Niskanen was a thrown in player in the James Neal Goligoski deal. Gotta be one of the worst trades in Dallas history.

#53 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,134 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:56 PM

hes too young. not going to happen

#54 midnightpulp

midnightpulp

Prospect

• Restricted
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:57 PM

Won't happen.. Holland stands pat for the 5th consecutive offseason

#55 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 03:07 PM

We signed two of the biggest UFAs last year...

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#56 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 03:08 PM

We signed two of the biggest UFAs last year...

Really shows just how bad free agency is when injury prone Weiss and 67 year old Alfie are two of the biggest LOL

#57 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,531 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 03:15 PM

I'm as frustrated as anyone about Holland, but I'd hardly say he's stood pat.  He's made a lot of moves.  They've just been moves that had a higher than average probability of failure. 

I don't think you mean that Holland has done nothing.  But rather that he's not been willing to spend the assets necessary for acquisitions whose success is not dependent on a large degree of chance (e.g. this will help IF so and so gets healthy, or IF so and so bounces back, or IF so and so is played in the right role). 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#58 turbowhistle86

turbowhistle86

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 03:26 PM

What exactly do we have that we can sell him on?

Gentleman agreements? ;)

We have pylons of success such as Cleary and Samuelsson, great work ethic as demonstrated by Franzen, and are only a few short years away from a likely GM and head coach change.

#59 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 03:26 PM

Really shows just how bad free agency is when injury prone Weiss and 67 year old Alfie are two of the biggest LOL

Not really... If anything it shows you don't rely on UFAs to build your team.  They're complimentary pieces.  Not 'the answer".

Vince Lombardi

#60 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 03:49 PM

IMO, Niskanen is a product of Pens "all offense no defence" system. We will get another Quincey..

I don't know much about Niskanen but I do know we need an offensive defenseman more than anything else. Quincey was not. He was just a middling suckhole. We need Niskanen to generate offense. Not be the ultimate defender. We are already stacked with defensive guys. Sooner or later we need to control the puck, move it and help set up the offense, which Niskanen seems to do.

We get better defensively just by subtracting Quincey and Kindl. Then we get better by adding Niskanen or some other offensive, puck control guy. It makes us a more dangerous team to play against.

Niskanen is not the final piece, but he gets us back into making the playoffs easier. Back to where we have been for 20 years. Then, with him added to the core, add your pieces.

Bottom line, we need someone like him to be more than a bubble team. Then, the additional pieces are gravy.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.