• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 RedWingsPlug

RedWingsPlug

Draftee

• 3 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:47 PM

Hey guys,

Dylan Larkin - wow - ok.....so this is our first round 15th pick overall.

reading few scouting reports - showing decent numbers and winning attitude (which we extremely need)

Looking forward to seeing him develop and show results in the AHL - maybe even a few games in pre-season/season.

We definitely need to shop for a top 6 forward (possible trade away one of our young guns) and explore free agency.

Go Wings Go!

#2 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:49 PM

Hey guys,

Dylan Larkin - wow - ok.....so this is our first round 15th pick overall.

reading few scouting reports - showing decent numbers and winning attitude (which we extremely need)

Looking forward to seeing him develop and show results in the AHL - maybe even a few games in pre-season/season.

We definitely need to shop for a top 6 forward (possible trade away one of our young guns) and explore free agency.

Go Wings Go!

Welcome to the Wings Landon Ferraro 2.0

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#3 Ekmanc

Ekmanc

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:52 PM

I really hope the fact that he is a Michigan boy didn't weigh in too heavily in this decision. His other credentials are ok but not overly exciting.

#4 RedWingsPlug

RedWingsPlug

Draftee

• 3 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:53 PM

Thanks - much appreciated - hoping we can start building our franchise back up here.....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

#5 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:13 PM

Tuch
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#6 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,936 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:23 PM

He's committed to be a Wolverine.

They said he's Helm with hands.  If so, I think that would be very nice.

#7 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:53 PM

Here are a few scouting reports on Larkin. I wasn't thrilled with the pick at first as I was a big fan of Fabbri's but the more I read about Larkin the more I like him and the more I think we made the best possible pick at 15. As far as comparable's the only site that made one compared him style wise to Patrice  Bergeron.

Last Word on Sports Scouting Report

Dylan Larkin is a very strong skater, with strong top end speed, very good acceleration, and a great first step.  This enables him to be very effective on the forecheck, as well as to gather loose pucks in all three zones of the ice.  Larkin also has outstanding edgework and agility and can be extremely elusive.  He has good balance and is very difficult to knock off the puck making him very effective in the cycle game and in battles for pucks along the boards. Larkin should only get better as he adds more muscle to his frame and fleshes out his game in the pros.

Larkin is more of a shooter than a passer, as he has a good wrist shot and strong release.  He is also effective at finding open areas for one-timers. Larkin creates offense through straight ahead simple plays, more than from being overly fancy and creative. He makes the smart play though and is willing to go to the net hard. He can be effective with soft hands in tight to bury rebounds and create tip ins. 

Here is a quote from scout Mark Edwards of (HockeyProspects.com) on Larkin

I'm a huge fan of Larkin. Once I saw him enough to convince myself that he had enough offense so that he could be more than a 3rd liner, his stock obviously increased for me. We have him ranked 9th at HP and I'm not predicting it, but wouldn't be shocked if he went off the board before our ranking. 

High end player with seemingly very little bust risk. Nice combo.

Anthony Mauro on the VO2 Max tests from the combine

Dissecting the 2014 NHL Draft Combine
Aerobic Fitness - VO2 Max:

An interesting test that gauges half genetics/half current conditioning. The top few scores traditionally rival VO2's of low end, elite marathon runners.

The underlying correlations found are that the top scoring VO2 'maxxers' are either your elite prospects or total duds. If a rated first rounder shows up on this test, he should be a lock selection (Hertl, Baertschi, Klefbom). If he's not highly regarded, run away.

Quite confusing, but not really if you look at this more closely. If a top rated talent all year shows up on this test you can gather that (A) he has the natural skills to make the NHL, (B) he has a high genetic potential to be fit on ice (even if it is only part of the value), and © his conditioning is not a question mark and already there. Signs pointing to the ultimate draft pick if there continues to be an established trend.

On the flipside, if you're looking at a lower rated prospect, well, apply those principles and it is a damning statement against his future in the NHL. If a player scores high on this test, yet isn't regarded highly for his talent in season, one could draw the assumption that he was unable to capitalize and impress even with such a great fitness level. It is evident that these players usually do not find that precious development curve.

BUY: Dylan Larkin, Brayden Point
SELL: Alex Schoenborn, Josh Wesley  

Edited by FlashyG, 27 June 2014 - 10:07 PM.

#8 WingsallTheway

WingsallTheway

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:09 PM

For those who arent excited about this pick don't know what he brings to the table. He's exactly the kind of hard working/ 50 pt player everyone is hoping Holland will bring in. 

Obviously that wont be for another 5 years but thats how it works

wingsalltheway.jpg

Pavel datsyuk is the best player in the world because he snatches the puck from unsuspecting players and  follows it up by the simultaneous undressing of the defence pairing. The goalie then gives up, and flops like a fish. The end result is a calm skate back to his bench  where he can bask in the praise of his multiple girlfriends from the motherland.

#9 RedSea

RedSea

Rookie

• Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:33 PM

Red develops some great NHL talent. Look at Hagelin for example. I'm thinking 2-3 years from now he'll start to prove the hype.

#10 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,137 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:34 PM

http://www.mlive.com...cal_produc.html

Here is some more of what our organization sees in this kid.  I like that this is the second time I've heard 'captain material' be tossed out there, and I keep hearing about his compete-level, and how he plays a complete game.  I'm pretty excited to watch him develop over the next 2-3 years.  He's going to turn 18 this summer, so even with the Red Wings' classic over-ripening philosophy, if this kid is who we hope and expect him to be, he'll only be in his early 20s when he finally breaks the roster.

#11 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:43 PM

Kyle Woodlief
http://www.usatoday....draft/11561421/

#12 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:03 PM

I know it's super early in his development but I just don't see Larkin being Ferraro 2.0. I think this kid has the right combination of skill, skating ability, hockey IQ to be a great player for us and not a bust.

Ferraro has terrible hockey IQ and not as great of hands. He basically is a great skater.

I can see the comparison to Kesler. He won't be as prolific of a scorer but he is going to be gritty, will contribute offensively, and back check. He also has leadership qualities that are off the charts.

#13 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,289 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:18 PM

I'm totally fine with the Larkin pick.  I think given our organizational needs that it was smart.  That said, how bad does it suck that the earliest draft pick since 1991 comes in a year where the draft pool is this shallow?  Larkin would probably have been a second rounder a year ago.  Imagine trading down to get Mantha and then grabbing Larkin with your extra second instead of Bertuzzi. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#14 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,362 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:24 PM

tumblr_n7ut2jhsEm1teojyho1_500_zps66e2e1

Guys, it's ok.  I'm pretty sure we just drafted Harry Potter.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

Just look at how he hangs his sunglasses from his banana hammock in that last pic.  This guyf****** rules. --kipwinger

#15 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:25 AM

tumblr_n7ut2jhsEm1teojyho1_500_zps66e2e1

Guys, it's ok.  I'm pretty sure we just drafted Harry Potter.

Too bad we don't play quidditch.

#16 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,289 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:37 AM

Red develops some great NHL talent. Look at Hagelin for example. I'm thinking 2-3 years from now he'll start to prove the hype.

Carl Hagelin?  I heard he stinks on the powerplay and he's a jitterbug.  I can't remember where I heard it, but I did. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#17 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:47 AM

Bleacher Reports gives us an A grade on our first selection and said it's rare to snag a top 6 forward in the middle of the 1st round, but Holland did just that.

http://m.bleacherrep...ts-and-analysis

#18 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 02:26 AM

For those who arent excited about this pick don't know what he brings to the table. He's exactly the kind of hard working/ 50 pt player everyone is hoping Holland will bring in. 

We had one of those in Filpulla, and everyone hated him because he wasn't a 70pt player

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#19 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,280 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 02:41 AM

We had one of those in Filpulla, and everyone hated him because he wasn't a 70pt player

It sounds like he plays a little more north-south than Filpulla. 

He’ll also be bigger. 

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#20 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 05:03 AM

And he'll complement the skill guys we have coming up in our system right now that are just coming on. Mantha, Sheahan, Jurco, Tatar, Nyquist. Combine their skills with a 200ft player who plays every shift like its his last. I think that could be a pretty solid core. 

temp 1