• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
RedWingsPlug

Dylan Larkin - Highest draft pick since 1991

Rate this topic

Hey guys,

Dylan Larkin - wow - ok.....so this is our first round 15th pick overall.

reading few scouting reports - showing decent numbers and winning attitude (which we extremely need)

Looking forward to seeing him develop and show results in the AHL - maybe even a few games in pre-season/season.

We definitely need to shop for a top 6 forward (possible trade away one of our young guns) and explore free agency.

Go Wings Go!

Hey guys,

Dylan Larkin - wow - ok.....so this is our first round 15th pick overall.

reading few scouting reports - showing decent numbers and winning attitude (which we extremely need)

Looking forward to seeing him develop and show results in the AHL - maybe even a few games in pre-season/season.

We definitely need to shop for a top 6 forward (possible trade away one of our young guns) and explore free agency.

Go Wings Go!

Welcome to the Wings Landon Ferraro 2.0

Here are a few scouting reports on Larkin. I wasn't thrilled with the pick at first as I was a big fan of Fabbri's but the more I read about Larkin the more I like him and the more I think we made the best possible pick at 15. As far as comparable's the only site that made one compared him style wise to Patrice Bergeron.

Last Word on Sports Scouting Report

Dylan Larkin is a very strong skater, with strong top end speed, very good acceleration, and a great first step. This enables him to be very effective on the forecheck, as well as to gather loose pucks in all three zones of the ice. Larkin also has outstanding edgework and agility and can be extremely elusive. He has good balance and is very difficult to knock off the puck making him very effective in the cycle game and in battles for pucks along the boards. Larkin should only get better as he adds more muscle to his frame and fleshes out his game in the pros.

Larkin is more of a shooter than a passer, as he has a good wrist shot and strong release. He is also effective at finding open areas for one-timers. Larkin creates offense through straight ahead simple plays, more than from being overly fancy and creative. He makes the smart play though and is willing to go to the net hard. He can be effective with soft hands in tight to bury rebounds and create tip ins.

Here is a quote from scout Mark Edwards of (HockeyProspects.com) on Larkin

I'm a huge fan of Larkin. Once I saw him enough to convince myself that he had enough offense so that he could be more than a 3rd liner, his stock obviously increased for me. We have him ranked 9th at HP and I'm not predicting it, but wouldn't be shocked if he went off the board before our ranking.

High end player with seemingly very little bust risk. Nice combo.

Anthony Mauro on the VO2 Max tests from the combine

Dissecting the 2014 NHL Draft Combine
Aerobic Fitness - VO2 Max:

An interesting test that gauges half genetics/half current conditioning. The top few scores traditionally rival VO2's of low end, elite marathon runners.

The underlying correlations found are that the top scoring VO2 'maxxers' are either your elite prospects or total duds. If a rated first rounder shows up on this test, he should be a lock selection (Hertl, Baertschi, Klefbom). If he's not highly regarded, run away.

Quite confusing, but not really if you look at this more closely. If a top rated talent all year shows up on this test you can gather that (A) he has the natural skills to make the NHL, (B) he has a high genetic potential to be fit on ice (even if it is only part of the value), and © his conditioning is not a question mark and already there. Signs pointing to the ultimate draft pick if there continues to be an established trend.

On the flipside, if you're looking at a lower rated prospect, well, apply those principles and it is a damning statement against his future in the NHL. If a player scores high on this test, yet isn't regarded highly for his talent in season, one could draw the assumption that he was unable to capitalize and impress even with such a great fitness level. It is evident that these players usually do not find that precious development curve.

BUY: Dylan Larkin, Brayden Point
SELL: Alex Schoenborn, Josh Wesley
Edited by FlashyG

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2014/06/red_wings_coveted_local_produc.html

Here is some more of what our organization sees in this kid. I like that this is the second time I've heard 'captain material' be tossed out there, and I keep hearing about his compete-level, and how he plays a complete game. I'm pretty excited to watch him develop over the next 2-3 years. He's going to turn 18 this summer, so even with the Red Wings' classic over-ripening philosophy, if this kid is who we hope and expect him to be, he'll only be in his early 20s when he finally breaks the roster.

I know it's super early in his development but I just don't see Larkin being Ferraro 2.0. I think this kid has the right combination of skill, skating ability, hockey IQ to be a great player for us and not a bust.

Ferraro has terrible hockey IQ and not as great of hands. He basically is a great skater.

I can see the comparison to Kesler. He won't be as prolific of a scorer but he is going to be gritty, will contribute offensively, and back check. He also has leadership qualities that are off the charts.

I'm totally fine with the Larkin pick. I think given our organizational needs that it was smart. That said, how bad does it suck that the earliest draft pick since 1991 comes in a year where the draft pool is this shallow? Larkin would probably have been a second rounder a year ago. Imagine trading down to get Mantha and then grabbing Larkin with your extra second instead of Bertuzzi.

For those who arent excited about this pick don't know what he brings to the table. He's exactly the kind of hard working/ 50 pt player everyone is hoping Holland will bring in.

We had one of those in Filpulla, and everyone hated him because he wasn't a 70pt player

And he'll complement the skill guys we have coming up in our system right now that are just coming on. Mantha, Sheahan, Jurco, Tatar, Nyquist. Combine their skills with a 200ft player who plays every shift like its his last. I think that could be a pretty solid core.

I always find the reactions to draft picks amusing because, come on, none of us knows anything at this point. In 2-3 years we'll start seeing who made good selections or not this draft.

That said this seems like a solid pick, filling our need for a good center prospect. Sounds like he is a "safe" pick and I'm fine with that, in our development program he should have a very good opportunity to reach his potential.

All scouting reports about Larkin remind me of another phenom we got in the first round - Cory Emmerton.

Actually no, quite different. There's no need to criticize everything. It's like when you hate a kid in grade 7 and he's eating a sandwich and even that pisses you off. "Look at that ******* eating that sandwich. Who does he think he is the president?"