• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,848 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:02 PM

Boy, I start to feel like an old man when I see the faces of some of these players getting drafted.  I remember when I used to watch hockey and be younger than all the players I was watching.   :unhappy:

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#42 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:04 PM

Boy, I start to feel like an old man when I see the faces of some of these players getting drafted.  I remember when I used to watch hockey and be younger than all the players I was watching.   :unhappy:

Same here but that Ekblad kid already looks like an 30 old and is built like it. Man the guy will be a monster soon

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#43 RedWingsPlug

RedWingsPlug

Draftee

• 3 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:08 PM

Larkin needs to bulk up and grow up more.

This will happen in the AHL and our system is proving to work out. We just need to keep drafting smart because us being a heavy contender starts in the draft.

I'm extremely excited to see how he performs in the development camp coming up.

Our prospects are looking dangerous. We need to monitor them closely. I'm also suggesting a trade of one of our young guns.

Where is Weiss???????? So frustrated at his season with the new contract. Grrrrrd

Go Wings Go!

#44 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:24 PM

This will happen in the AHL and our system is proving to work out. We just need to keep drafting smart because us being a heavy contender starts in the draft.

Our prospects are looking dangerous. We need to monitor them closely. I'm also suggesting a trade of one of our young guns.

Where is Weiss???????? So frustrated at his season with the new contract. Grrrrrd

Go Wings Go!

Don't worry. Weiss will turn it around. And if he doesn't, well I'm sure it'll sort itself out. 

temp 1

#45 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 04:40 PM

This will happen in the AHL
and our system is proving to work out. We just need to keep drafting smart because us being a heavy contender starts in the draft.

Go Wings Go!

Larkin is going to play college hockey at Michigan.  And unless he's the next Kariya or Toews, expect him to play at least a couple of years there before turning pro.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#46 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 05:07 PM

Larkin is going to play college hockey at Michigan.  And unless he's the next Kariya or Toews, expect him to play at least a couple of years there before turning pro.

Yea we're probably looking at 2 years at least under Red's wing (no pun intended). BUt that will only be a good thing for him and for us

temp 1

#47 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 05:10 PM

Yea we're probably looking at 2 years at least under Red's wing (no pun intended). BUt that will only be a good thing for him and for us

I can see 2 years at U of M and 1-2 full seasons in GR putting him in a Wings uniform around age 22.

#48 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 06:00 PM

He looks skinny and he's a Leafs fan from Michigan. Hmm. But if you guys are excited, so am I.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#49 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 09:21 PM

You should check out Dean Lombardi's thoughts on Red Berensen in his interview about Jack Johnson.  I've got a lot of respect for Lombardi (obviously), and I'm not at all sure that "learning" under Red really does give these kids a leg up. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#50 Ekmanc

Ekmanc

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:30 PM

Want to elaborate on that kip? Or link the interview.

Babcock seems to hold Red in high esteem at least

#51 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:01 AM

Want to elaborate on that kip? Or link the interview.

Babcock seems to hold Red in high esteem at least

Here's the article.  It's part of a larger article about Johnson.  Feel free to dig into it more at your own leisure. 

http://frozenroyalty...raft-belatedly/

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#52 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,168 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:21 AM

Here's the article.  It's part of a larger article about Johnson.  Feel free to dig into it more at your own leisure. 

http://frozenroyalty...raft-belatedly/

My favourite part of the article:

“Michigan is the worst.” Lombardi added. “For hockey people, if you’ve got a choice between a kid—all things being equal—one’s going to Michigan and one’s going to Boston University, you all want your player [going to Boston University]. Michigan’s players—[head coach]  Red doesn’t coach. It’s ‘do what you want.’ He gets the best players in the country.”

Cool to know that Larkin is the “best player in the country” according to Lombardi  :lol:

I love the way Lombardi runs a team. I think, right now, he’s the best GM in the league. 

But he talks a little more than he should and has a lot to learn from Holland about what to say to the media.

Why shoot your face off like this?

Edited by rick zombo, 29 June 2014 - 01:22 AM.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#53 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:36 AM

My favourite part of the article:

Cool to know that Larkin is the “best player in the country” according to Lombardi  :lol:

I love the way Lombardi runs a team. I think, right now, he’s the best GM in the league. 

But he talks a little more than he should and has a lot to learn from Holland about what to say to the media.

Why shoot your face off like this?

That's funny cause, and this is coming from a Spartan, I would say the exact opposite. U of M gets great players but I think Boston does better, and I think Berenson is probably the best coach in the NCAA right now. Lombardi really should hold his tongue.

#54 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:29 PM

developing at michigan, then on the griffins under blash, then babs. hes got a great situation going for him.

#55 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,993 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:46 AM

I watched heavyweight Ken Norton box, then watched his son play linebacker for the 49ers, then watched him retire...a long time ago!

My nephew played against Larkin a bit over the years, being a 94 while I think Larkin is a 95. My nephew won the state championship last year, ( as a ripped 6'1 195, 18 yr old.)

When I asked him if Larkin was any good, he replied, "Unreal".

Fwiw, at that age, and my college years, I played hoops against a few guys that ended up having careers in the NBA: Sean Elliot, Steve Kerr, BJ Armstrong, to name a few. While they were great, I don't recall the word "unreal" coming to mind.

Edited by T.Low, 01 July 2014 - 10:08 AM.

#56 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:53 AM

All scouting reports about Larkin remind me of another phenom we got in the first round - Cory Emmerton.

We didn't have a first round pick in Emmerton's draft year (2006) it was traded to Phoenix. 

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#57 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:56 PM

Larkin seems to have the attitude the wings want. Which means whether he's 1st line or 4th he'll likely make it.