• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Datsyukian-Deke

NHL Draft 2014: Rounds 2-7 **MOD WARNING POST 51**

Rate this topic

Clearly Holland and co are thinking success in the future will be on the shoulders of big, strong centers who can play a 200 ft game.

After losing repeatedly to the Sharks, and being forced to the outside against Boston, I can't say I disagree with management.

The kings showed that this season as well, incredible center depth and size.

Clearly Holland and co are thinking success in the future will be on the shoulders of big, strong centers who can play a 200 ft game.

After losing repeatedly to the Sharks, and being forced to the outside against Boston, I can't say I disagree with management.

Like proven by the Kings you need that to win.

Holland realizes that we have great depth in the farm system at defense but the reality is Z and Dats are about 4 years away from being gone and they are stocking up on as many possible replacements as they can...thus not drafting any

defenseman.

Edited by Datsyukian-Deke

Brains aren't found in the balls though. Making a decision that could cost this franchise in the long run for a short term risk really isn't the strategy that KH and co have employed (aside from Legwand perhaps - but let's not batter that dead horse).

Maybe, just maybe, the Wings feel pretty happy with how things are developing, with the kids who've stepped up, and the young D core we're about to get, right now what we need is some solid veterans in the lineup like we have to complement and help the kids become the leaders of this team. It doesn't make much sense right now to trade a bunch of em away, because really, the guys who are still in GR we don't know which ones will make it.

Its a patient approach and yea, I can imagine it's frustrating when other teams around the league are seemingly going for it when we're appearing to stand pat. But why roll the dice when even doing so won't put you over the top? May as well wait and have several successful years than just 1 or 2.

My latest theory (the one I mentioned yesterday): we've been rebuilding since '09. We were legitimate contenders for roughly two straight decades, then the cap happened, then we started losing key players, and we had a weak prospect pool, and we decided that it was time to build a real pipeline of quality young talent through the draft, and that's essentially been the focus for the past five years. We've stayed competitive enough to at least keep the playoff streak (and yearly revenue windfall from home playoff games) going, but the real focus has been on assembling what every cap era powerhouse team needs: tremendous value, i.e. key young contributors on affordable early contracts. I think once we have enough of those "value players" in place and they've shown that they're legitimate difference-makers at the NHL level, that's when we're going to get really serious about acquiring a big name or two and truly competing for the Cup. (By that point, the Bruins will be old and slow and worn down. bwahahahahaha!!!)

My latest theory (the one I mentioned yesterday): we've been rebuilding since '09. We were legitimate contenders for roughly two straight decades, then the cap happened, then we started losing key players, and we had a weak prospect pool, and we decided that it was time to build a real pipeline of quality young talent through the draft, and that's essentially been the focus for the past five years. We've stayed competitive enough to at least keep the playoff streak (and yearly revenue windfall from home playoff games) going, but the real focus has been on assembling what every cap era powerhouse team needs: tremendous value, i.e. key young contributors on affordable early contracts. I think once we have enough of those "value players" in place and they've shown that they're legitimate difference-makers at the NHL level, that's when we're going to get really serious about acquiring a big name or two and truly competing for the Cup. (By that point, the Bruins will be old and slow and worn down. bwahahahahaha!!!)

This is my thought too, which is why I think right now, the Wings don't want to give away guys like Mantha, Tatar, Jurco, Nyquist and Sheahan. They saw Jarnkrok as expendable so that's why he was moved. I have every faith that if this is in fact the strategy, it'll pay dividend pretty soon

I understand your logic here but the fact is we have two superstar players in Z and Dats that are not far from being gone and it is a travesty that we don't at least attempt to put together a team that can compete for the cup for them.

And for their last pick they choose Aleander Kadeyin, a 20 year old already playing in the KHL. Just throwing darts at the wall at this point I guess. Well let's hope they got at least 1-2 good ones out of this draft.

:thumbsup:

I like the fact that the Wings drafted a bunch of bigger centers in a year where everything beyond the first round is a total crapshoot (which it normally is anyway, but still...). You would think that kids who play center are groomed to play defensively sound so the thought here is probably that at least 1-2 of these guys will be with GR in a year or two and can work on their offense. Seems like management really wants to build the future of this team around Mantha. If he pans out, that sounds like a solid plan.

I understand your logic here but the fact is we have two superstar players in Z and Dats that are not far from being gone and it is a travesty that we don't at least attempt to put together a team that can compete for the cup for them.

Dats is signed for 3 more years. He could be here longer than that. Z is here 7 more years. I feel it's safe to say that they will still be elite in 2-3 years and that's when our prospect development will really come into fruition (if not this year):

Mantha will be on the team. Tatar, Nyquist, Sheahan will be in "prime years. We'll have Mrazek at least pushing Jimmy. Smith will have worked out his game (I believe he's already close to that). With at least 2 of Oulette, Sproul, Marchenko, Backman I really feel that will make a great back end. Jurco, possibly Pulkkinen, Andreas Athanasiauoaioisoioa also in the mix.

I feel like we're really on the ascent now and these guys will be pushing us up to being contenders. I feel these prospects really do fill the holes in the team that we saw this year (weak D, top 6 wingers). The thing for me that stands in the way of being contenders by that time is that 2C spot. Weiss is still a question mark and I feel that a lot rests on him being a solid piece of this team. Hopefully we see him back to the player that others say he is.

Am I reading this right? Holmstrom's midterm rank was 50 (second round) and his final rank was 90 (third round), yet we got him with pick 196? How does someone fall that far?

If it's true then great for us. I would pay good money for him to make the team and wear number 96. Would be great to be able to reuse an old jersey lol.

In this day and age of the NHL every center should be good 2-way

I have to admit I don't know much about prospects but the size of these prospects satisfy me. I know our scouts know exactly what they're doing

I Agree we need to get bigger in the middle and all you really want is 1-2 starters from a

Draft anyway

Edited by Datsyukian-Deke

It would be interesting to see which team has drafted the most college hockey players. I know we have a lot. It seems like college hockey has grown significantly might be early on to this early wave of great players that played college hockey

It would be interesting to see which team has drafted the most college hockey players. I know we have a lot. It seems like college hockey has grown significantly might be early on to this early wave of great players that played college hockey

I read a list recently and I was amazed by how many there are, it was in the hundreds. Most teams have at least 7 or 8 on their roster.

Wings have - Howard, Smith, DeKeyser, Lashoff, Nyquist Abdelkader, Glendening, Sheahan...8?