• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#41 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:52 AM

oh please...forgive me for not wearing the glasses. Just because someone has an opinion that you don't agree with doesn't mean they are less of a fan. Its unfortunate we have people who don't want to see Holland have some balls.

you are right though, its not July yet. I do hope Holland lets loose and actually does something of significance. I just hope the come July 2 and he is still kicking the tires, I dint hear...guys its only Juky, not everyone signs right away....oh wait that is what we hear...

FWIW I did say his draft was solid...it just didn't address any of our pressing needs. Now if/when he does sign a couplevUFA's, he will have too many players and end up losing players to waivers instead of getting a puck for them... I do agree with you guys, be patient, but we are patient every year and every year...welll...

Brains aren't found in the balls though. Making a decision that could cost this franchise in the long run for a short term risk really isn't the strategy that KH and co have employed (aside from Legwand perhaps - but let's not batter that dead horse). 

Maybe, just maybe, the Wings feel pretty happy with how things are developing, with the kids who've stepped up, and the young D core we're about to get, right now what we need is some solid veterans in the lineup like we have to complement and help the kids become the leaders of this team. It doesn't make much sense right now to trade a bunch of em away, because really, the guys who are still in GR we don't know which ones will make it. 

Its a patient approach and yea, I can imagine it's frustrating when other teams around the league are seemingly going for it when we're appearing to stand pat. But why roll the dice when even doing so won't put you over the top? May as well wait and have several successful years than just 1 or 2. 

temp 1

#42 RedFlag85

RedFlag85

Rookie

• Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:54 AM

I actually quite like this draft so far. 3 centers seems like a lot, but in a few years they'll be needed in our system. I like taking a goalie semi late in the draft as well. That Finnish lw looks like he had a decent year. Anyone know his actual height? NHL.com says 6'2", TSN says 6'5".

#43 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:55 AM

Oh darn, a 6'5 LW....  He's way too big :lol:  And he got 39 points in 33 games last season. 

We haven't seen a draft pick under 6'0 in almost 2 drafts.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#44 RedFlag85

RedFlag85

Rookie

• Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:58 AM

Come guys. Stay on topic. Take your Beef to PM.

#45 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:59 AM

Red Wing Central has that LW at 6'5

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#46 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:00 PM

Red Wing Central has that LW at 6'5

Imagine Babcock's face

:w00t2:

Edited by darkmanx, 28 June 2014 - 12:00 PM.

#47 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,534 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:03 PM

Imagine Babcock's face

:w00t2:

babcock190_medium.jpg

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#48 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:06 PM

I complain because we can...

back on topic...do they make any kids under 6' anymore? Heck my 15 year old is 6'2"... I am quite happy with the draft. Wish we could've made the NHL club better...bring on the 1st! Kick them hard Kenny...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#49 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:10 PM

The only other thing I'd like to see this draft is for Kindl and Andersson to be traded so we can draft 4 guys in the 7th round :w00t:

#50 JSDO3O

JSDO3O

Shutdown Defenseman

• 15 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:10 PM

I actually quite like this draft so far. 3 centers seems like a lot, but in a few years they'll be needed in our system. I like taking a goalie semi late in the draft as well. That Finnish lw looks like he had a decent year. Anyone know his actual height? NHL.com says 6'2", TSN says 6'5".

SM-Liga's website has him listed at 196cm which is 6'5" so I'm going to go with that height.

"All hockey players are bilingual; they speak English and profanity." -- Gordie Howe  :boxing:

#51 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:12 PM

Discuss the topic please and not each other. 

Talking about other people whining or any other personal attack will result in suspension.  And it would be really lame to get suspended in the offseason.

#52 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:13 PM

Most teams don't get better by trading in the draft.  That's what free agency is for.  I don't know anything about these kids Holland drafted but they replenish our center prospects.  Holland can't magically make this a better draft, and everyone seems pretty high on Larkin.  Draft day is the worst day to complain, because no one has any idea how these kids will pan out in 5 years.  But drafting three centers helps increase the chances that one of them turns out to be good.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#53 krsmith17

krsmith17

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:17 PM

I agree completely, I just wish we would trade some of our spare parts for some late round draft picks...

#54 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:20 PM

Axel Holmstrom.....hmm.  Another Wings family member?

Edited by Z Winged Dangler, 28 June 2014 - 12:21 PM.

#55 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,534 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:20 PM

AXEL HOLMSTROM

http://www.elitepros...hp?player=86320

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#56 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:21 PM

Axel holmstrom.
Another c.

#57 JSDO3O

JSDO3O

Shutdown Defenseman

• 15 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:21 PM

Axel Holmstrom with the 196th pick

http://www.elitepros...hp?player=86320

"All hockey players are bilingual; they speak English and profanity." -- Gordie Howe  :boxing:

#58 krsmith17

krsmith17

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:22 PM

Axel Holmstrom. I don't think there is any relation to Tomas.

Another left handed center.......

#59 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:23 PM

no D and no R/H guys either, i hope we have a trade or 2 lined up.

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#60 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:23 PM

The only other thing I'd like to see this draft is for Kindl and Andersson to be traded so we can draft 4 guys in the 7th round :w00t:

I'd like to see that too, but I imagine most teams have players internally they want to evaluate and they know the Wings (and other teams) will have to put players through waivers. There doesn't seem to be a big market for non-veteran players, especially those that aren't 'gritty'.