• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dominator2005

BUF to buy out Christian Ehrhoff

Rate this topic

Ehrhoff scored 33 points last year in 73 games.

Apparently, I'm supposed to get on my knees and blow him for that amazing accomplishment. :rolleyes:

Yeah, he did that on a crap team, with little to no offensive help. I don't think anyone is saying he'll be our #1 or #2 defensemen, but a top 4 at least, and definitely an upgrade over Quincey. We are in definite need of a right hander, so this seems like a backup move to Niskanen. I still am holding out hope that they can bring in One of these two guys and someone like Boyle or Gilbert.... but I doubt they get more than 1 d-man. Plus that'd leave room for a top six forward.

Ehrhoff scored 33 points last year in 73 games.

Apparently, I'm supposed to get on my knees and blow him for that amazing accomplishment. :rolleyes:

Just because he's not a superstar doesn't mean that he couldn't improve the overall quality of our defense quite a bit. Erhoff in and of himself is not a guy worth going crazy over on an individual level like you would a superstar, but what he'd bring to the TEAM in filling out the D would be no small thing. We're not in a position to bring in an elite player either via trade or free agency at this point. We need to make the best of the situation and bring in guys that can help get this team going in the right direction towards being a contender again. Then maybe somewhere down the line we might be able to more reasonably get our hopes up about bringing in top talent. Right now, we just need solid guys to round out a defense that still has some glaring holes in it.

One top 4 d is not going to do it. We need one more solid D. Orpik will be a nice addition along with Niskanen or Earhoff. We do have the cash to make it happen. I hope Kenny gets it done.

Just because he's not a superstar doesn't mean that he couldn't improve the overall quality of our defense quite a bit. Erhoff in and of himself is not a guy worth going crazy over on an individual level like you would a superstar, but what he'd bring to the TEAM in filling out the D would be no small thing. We're not in a position to bring in an elite player either via trade or free agency at this point. We need to make the best of the situation and bring in guys that can help get this team going in the right direction towards being a contender again. Then maybe somewhere down the line we might be able to more reasonably get our hopes up about bringing in top talent. Right now, we just need solid guys to round out a defense that still has some glaring holes in it.

Yeah, I guess he would improve on guys like Lashoff and Kindl (so would anyone). But it's not a signing that will wake up the fanbase that's currently becoming lethargic and used to mediocrity.

Ericsson has a no trade contract doesn't he? I'd love to see him traded along with Kindl and Franzen to try and get a forward while getting Ehrhoff and Niskanen. Not gonna happen though.

Ericsson has a no trade contract doesn't he? I'd love to see him traded along with Kindl and Franzen to try and get a forward while getting Ehrhoff and Niskanen. Not gonna happen though.

I don't think we should trade away Ericsson. Guy has size and is solid and stable on the back end. He's got a decent enough salary, and same goes for Franzen. Don't want to turn this into another Franzen bashing thread, but we're not going to replace his size and production for that kind of cap number. Not going to happen.

I don't think we'll have room for both Niskanen and Ehrhoff. We'll hopefully get one though. Forwards aren't' the priority now on this team, D is. And I think we'll have an outside shot at Iginla, so may as well trade Kindl for a pick or two if we can.

Edited by wings4thecup06

If we do end up with Erhoff and Niskanen, that's two less spots for our defensive prospect pool to take, so in addition to Kindl and Lashoff (who have pretty low trade value), Marchenko, Sproul, Ouellet all become movable assets, because there won't be any room in Detroit. Sproul I think we need to hold onto, because of his offensive capability and he shoots right, but I don't know how he would break into the lineup if Erhoff and Niskanen are here.

I don't think we should trade away Ericsson. Guy has size and is solid and stable on the back end. He's got a decent enough salary, and same goes for Franzen. Don't want to turn this into another Franzen bashing thread, but we're not going to replace his size and production for that kind of cap number. Not going to happen.

I don't think we'll have room for both Niskanen and Ehrhoff. We'll hopefully get one though. Forwards aren't' the priority now on this team, D is. And I think we'll have an outside shot at Iginla, so may as well trade Kindl for a pick or two if we can.

Ericsson has a size but he's not using it... same goes with Franzen

If we do end up with Erhoff and Niskanen, that's two less spots for our defensive prospect pool to take, so in addition to Kindl and Lashoff (who have pretty low trade value), Marchenko, Sproul, Ouellet all become movable assets, because there won't be any room in Detroit. Sproul I think we need to hold onto, because of his offensive capability and he shoots right, but I don't know how he would break into the lineup if Erhoff and Niskanen are here.

This

Sproul, Ouellet, Marchenko, Jensen and Backman...

Yea either one of Niskanen or Ehrhoff will be just fine, but not both. Logistically for cap room, and also for clogging up the way for our D guys who are nearly ready. If it were me I'd actually be tempted just to stick both Ouellet and Sproul on the 3rd pairing to start the year.

We're not getting Ehrhoff and Niskanen. There's absolutely, positively, unequivocally no chance that happens. We'll be lucky to get one of them.

I don't mind Ericsson. He's a good top-four shutdown defenseman. He's one of our better PKers and shot-blockers. He's a huge body who's shown he can handle the toughest of assignments. He has good chemistry with Kronwall. I don't really care that he doesn't throw monster hits every shift. Having said all that, I'd be interested to know his trade value. Certainly there's never a shortage of GMs looking to add a veteran top-four shutdown defenseman with Ericsson's frame. Show the Leafs and Oilers the clip of him obliterating Bickell and talk up his GRIT and CHARACTER and INTANGIBLES.

We're not getting Ehrhoff and Niskanen. There's absolutely, positively, unequivocally no chance that happens. We'll be lucky to get one of them.

I don't mind Ericsson. He's a good top-four shutdown defenseman. He's one of our better PKers and shot-blockers. He's a huge body who's shown he can handle the toughest of assignments. He has good chemistry with Kronwall. I don't really care that he doesn't throw monster hits every shift. Having said all that, I'd be interested to know his trade value. Certainly there's never a shortage of GMs looking to add a veteran top-four shutdown defenseman with Ericsson's frame. Show the Leafs and Oilers the clip of him obliterating Bickell and talk up his GRIT and CHARACTER and INTANGIBLES.

I've said it before and I'll say it again....if Ericsson knew how to use his size, he would be a top ten defensemen in the league. He shows flashes but he played his whole life at forward so he doesn't quite get that part of being a defenseman

Wings don't need a second pair D. They have 3 of them. I don't see Ehrhoff as a significant upgrade over Smith, Dekeyser, or Ericsson.

Oh, please. The Wings could absolutely use a very good second-pairing defenseman. DeKeyser-Smith is not good enough, especially given the injury woes every year. Ehrhoff can hold his own on a top pairing, log huge minutes, handle the toughest assignments, run an effective power play, and put up points, all on a mercilessly bad Sabres team. He's an established high-end defenseman, and not because of ludicrous scoring prowess or "truculence" or whatever. He's just a solid, experienced, top-four two-way defenseman. We don't need a savior, we just need a legtimate top four. If he'd only cost us money, I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't want him on our thin, offensively-challenged blue line.

Guest fat guy in a maltby jersey

I don't see Ehrhoff as a significant upgrade over Smith, Dekeyser, or Ericsson.

those 3 haver career highs of 19, 23, and 15 points.

but yeah, who needs a defensman who has put up 50 points, can run an effective PP and log lots of tough minutes, right?

are you for real?

i mean really?

Edited by fat guy in a maltby jersey

A lot of understandable excitment here nice but keep in mind him being UFA does also mean, he can choose a team to his liking. There will be a lot of teams biding for his services so the Wings will have to make him a great offer. Something like 6 mill for 4 years should get the job done.

The best thing is if Niskanen signs with Minny -- which I think will happen -- there is another great UFA target.