No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dominator2005

BUF to buy out Christian Ehrhoff

Rate this topic

Per Bob McKenzie...

Kenny

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/483250877084352513

BUF has initiated compliance buyout procedures on Christian Ehrhoff. Not official just yet but BUF has begun the process.

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/483252615266852864

Presuming paperwork on d-man Ehrhoff processed as expected, that's two offensive threats - SJ Marty Havlat bought out - added to UFA list.

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/483253741550727168

I'm sure @capgeek will have details but BUF obviously feared potential cap recapture penalties if Ehrhoff retired before contract expired.

Edited by Jedi
Included source material, per LGW rules

I wonder if Holland can land both of them

Kronwall Erhoff

NIskanen Dekeyser

Smith Ericsson

Why stop there?

Kronwall Ehrhoff

DeKeyser Niskanen

Ericsson Boyle

Gilbert

we have the money, not including the Kindl salary dump...

We really, really don't have the money.

Why is no one asking why a team who wants to take on bad contracts is buying out a player like Ehrhoff? What's the story?

Cap recapture penalties if he retires on another team. $10m penalty to Buffalo spread across the number of years left on the contract.

Edited by WorkingOvertime

Here's the actual source and link.

This is a busy time of year in terms of trades/signings/buyouts and there's a lot of rumor and speculation that goes with that. A proper source and link separates fact from fiction. Threads without that information will be locked. It takes two seconds to copy and paste a link.

BUF has initiated compliance buyout procedures on Christian Ehrhoff. Not official just yet but BUF has begun the process.

Just to be clear, we have something like $15M in cap space. That seems like a lot, and it is, but a good portion of it will be going to the RFA fund (Tatar, Sheahan, and DeKeyser, with some set aside for Nyquist, who may need to Get Paid next summer). Also, some will probably be saved for Alfredsson and of course CLEARY. On top of that, Kenny won't want to be right up against the ceiling, so he'll probably set our upper limit below $69M, which means another one or two million we can't use on a UFA. That means we're looking at a defenseman and maybe Alfie.

Sorry Harold but I have issues with my smartphone so I couldn't copied the link.

It's not just you. It's been running rampant lately.

If someone sees a thread like this with no link in the OP but it's pretty clearly from a good source, help a brother out and paste the link in your post.

Kronwall Erhoff

NIskanen Dekeyser

Smith Ericsson

That looks really good. With those guys Wings will be in the top 5 defenses in the NHL.

that is a solid D! If Holland did just that, I may forgive him for Hossa...we have the money, not including the Kindl salary dump...

I'd be surprised if it happened, but that'd go a long ways towards shutting me up about Holland. One solid veteran that can easily take a top 4 spot would be big though. We don't have to have a star if we could just have a solid three line punch and stop having to rely so much on guys like Kindl and Lashoff.

Kronwall Erhoff

NIskanen Dekeyser

Smith Ericsson

Totally not needed though IMO. They'll both want long contracts - 5yrs min I reckon, which means it'll block one of our young D men coming up right now - because sod's law we won't be able to move Kindl and his ugly contract.

The best news here is that prices just dropped. We might be able to get Niskanen for closer to 4.5-5. If we still choose to go that route.

This was my first thought too - this is totally excellent news for the D man market and for us! And even if Ehrhoff doesn't want to come to Detroit, it'll give us some bargaining power over Niskanen.

I don't get why so many seem to think this would be a better signing than Niskanen. Erhoff turns 32 in about a week. he isn't physical at all, average defensively, and hasn't been great offensively either. yes some of that is because of playing with Buff, but overall just average. he is at the age where he is just leaving what should have been the prime years of his career.

Erhoff 32, 6-2/195 LHed, on a good team good for 35-40 points per season, going to make 5+ million and I am sure he is going to be looking for at least 4 years, maybe 5.

Niskanen 27 6-0/210 RHed, on a good team good for 40+ points, strong in his own end, and going to be looking for 6 million on a max term-7 years.

Now if we don't get Niskanen then going after erhoff makes some sense. he is an upgrade over quincy. But at this point he is clearly a second option.