• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dominator2005

BUF to buy out Christian Ehrhoff

Rate this topic

Guest Playmaker

Maybe Kenny can take her to Frankenmuth.

Still rather have Niskanen due to age and RH shot, but it's nice that there's a really good consolation prize out there if the Wings miss out.

I wont lie I wanted Christian Ehrhoff at the deadline but its so hard because niskanen has been on my list too its nice to possibly fight over two talent defensemen and it will be worth it in the end if we snag at least one of them i like our forward core but i wouldn't mind iglina if the price is right

Edited by sjr2012

I don't get why so many seem to think this would be a better signing than Niskanen. Erhoff turns 32 in about a week. he isn't physical at all, average defensively, and hasn't been great offensively either. yes some of that is because of playing with Buff, but overall just average. he is at the age where he is just leaving what should have been the prime years of his career.

Erhoff 32, 6-2/195 LHed, on a good team good for 35-40 points per season, going to make 5+ million and I am sure he is going to be looking for at least 4 years, maybe 5.

Niskanen 27 6-0/210 RHed, on a good team good for 40+ points, strong in his own end, and going to be looking for 6 million on a max term-7 years.

Now if we don't get Niskanen then going after erhoff makes some sense. he is an upgrade over quincy. But at this point he is clearly a second option.

1st of all - you clearly ignore Erhoff's 2 years in Vancouver where he scored 44 and 50 points. He got 38 this year on a very bad Sabres team.

2nd - are we really considering 32 too old? Niskanen also turns older this year (who would have thought?) so they're only 4 years apart. We don't even know how long we would sign them for. Erhoff clearly has the more proven track record.

Niskanen's Right handedness is attractive. If we signed Erhoff we'd be counting on Marchenko or Sproul to be our RH Dman.

This is getting exciting! Wonder if any other unexpected buyouts happen.

I don't get why so many seem to think this would be a better signing than Niskanen. Erhoff turns 32 in about a week. he isn't physical at all, average defensively, and hasn't been great offensively either. yes some of that is because of playing with Buff, but overall just average. he is at the age where he is just leaving what should have been the prime years of his career.

Erhoff 32, 6-2/195 LHed, on a good team good for 35-40 points per season, going to make 5+ million and I am sure he is going to be looking for at least 4 years, maybe 5.

Niskanen 27 6-0/210 RHed, on a good team good for 40+ points, strong in his own end, and going to be looking for 6 million on a max term-7 years.

Now if we don't get Niskanen then going after erhoff makes some sense. he is an upgrade over quincy. But at this point he is clearly a second option.

erhoff is more proven than niskanen. even at his age, he has a good 5 years of good productivity left. But if anything, erhoff being put on the market should lower the cost of obtaining a top 4 dman

Question...if they are going to buy him out are they going to put him through waivers first? I'm not sure of his contract situation and if someone would pick him up before we even got a shot at him?

not sure how the waiver rules work but according to tsn he is now an unrestricted free agent

The bottom line is we need a defensman who can get the puck out of our zone efficiently, has some offensive ability, and can run a powerplay. Erhoff is getting older (although I wouldn't say 32 is old these days), but he still provides the offense abilities that the Wings sorely lack. Niskanen does also, and he's younger, but he's also unproven, so I guess the question comes down to what you think the lower risk is: signing a long contract to someone who only had one successful year but younger, or signing a long contract to a proven commodity who is older. Frankly I want both of them.

The bottom line is we need a defensman who can get the puck out of our zone efficiently, has some offensive ability, and can run a powerplay. Erhoff is getting older (although I wouldn't say 32 is old these days), but he still provides the offense abilities that the Wings sorely lack. Niskanen does also, and he's younger, but he's also unproven, so I guess the question comes down to what you think the lower risk is: signing a long contract to someone who only had one successful year but younger, or signing a long contract to a proven commodity who is older. Frankly I want both of them.

you win the internet this is the best option

Wow, double pay day for Erhoff. He gets $12M over the next 14 years from the buyout, plus he's about to get another contract which will probably pay as much, if not more, than the contract he just got bought out from. AND he gets to go to a team of his choosing.