Photo
- - - - -

UFA day looking up

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#1 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:09 PM

with all the late buy outs teams are doing, tomorrow could be more entertaining than we thought. I even think Kenny may get 2 or 3 new pieces for Babs to play with. 

Good day at the office would be Kenny bringing in Stastny, Ehrhoff and Volchenkov and shedding some of our guys.

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#2 krsmith17

krsmith17

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:15 PM

I agree that tomorrow is going to be a little more exciting than past Free Agency Frenzies, but I'm not sure it will be for Detroit so much... I think it is a long shot to think that Detroit will bring in 3 big name UFA's and I'm ok with that. You really think over paying for another left handed center, when we already have an abundance of centers, and targeting 2 left handed defencemen, on the wrong side of 30 is our best options?... I disagree. I wouldn't mind going after Ehrhoff if we strike out on Niskanen, but Volchenkov isn't even remotely close to the top of my list...

#3 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:17 PM

I agree that tomorrow is going to be a little more exciting than past Free Agency Frenzies, but I'm not sure it will be for Detroit so much... I think it is a long shot to think that Detroit will bring in 3 big name UFA's and I'm ok with that. You really think over paying for another left handed center, when we already have an abundance of centers, and targeting 2 left handed defencemen, on the wrong side of 30 is our best options?... I disagree. I wouldn't mind going after Ehrhoff if we strike out on Niskanen, but Volchenkov isn't even remotely close to the top of my list...

I think we should devote this thread to "our lists"  List your moves you'd like to see Ken Holland make. Rank the order of importance.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#4 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:17 PM

with all the late buy outs teams are doing, tomorrow could be more entertaining than we thought. I even think Kenny may get 2 or 3 new pieces for Babs to play with. 

Good day at the office would be Kenny bringing in Stastny, Ehrhoff and Volchenkov and shedding some of our guys.

It'll definitely be interesting to see how goes where, but personally, I wouldn't expect us to sign more than 1D man right now, possibly a forward such as Iginla too if there's mutual interest. 

temp 1

#5 krsmith17

krsmith17

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:33 PM

My priority list would be...

Defensemen

Matt Niskanen - 6-7 years at 5.5 - 6M

Christian Ehrhoff - 2-3 years at 4 - 4.5M

Tom Gilbert - 2-3 years at 3 - 3.5M

Dan Boyle - 1-2 years at 5 - 5.5M

Sami Salo - 1 year at 3.5 - 4M

Derek Morris - 1-2 years at 2.5 - 3M

Anton Stralman - 2-3 years at 2.5 - 3M

Forwards

Jarome Iginla - 1-2 years at 5 - 5.5M (some of the cap being in performance bonuses that can be transferred to next season)

Daniel Alfredsson - 1 year at 2 - 2.5M (".....performance bonuses.....")

I'd like to see us grab one defenceman and one forward.

Edited by krsmith17, 30 June 2014 - 02:34 PM.

#6 Ekmanc

Ekmanc

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:11 PM

Iggy plus either one of Ehrhoff or Niskanen would please me immensly.

#7 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:12 PM

So as to not be too disappointed, I'm going to say that I'd be happy with Ehrhoff and Radim Vrbata.  I wouldn't be thrilled, but I could live with it. 

Chances are that's asking too much as well. 

We'll get Boyle and Alfie.  I don't know why I bother pretending otherwise. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#8 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:43 PM

So as to not be too disappointed, I'm going to say that I'd be happy with Ehrhoff and Radim Vrbata.  I wouldn't be thrilled, but I could live with it. 

George Malik @georgemalik 21m

.@Mjurgh I call July 1st the "great disappointment" because even if KH signed everybody, Wings fans would still be upset.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#9 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:02 PM

Just read on Reddit that we're prepared to offer Boyle a two year, $5+ contract.  Then perhaps scoop up Erhoff.  Seems like the priorities are backwards on that one, although Boyle is a righty.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#10 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:15 PM

looks like Jamie McBain is in play as well now

#11 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:22 PM

is Del Zotto in play as well?

#12 krsmith17

krsmith17

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:27 PM

Source on McBain?...

#13 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:31 PM

Just read on Reddit that we're prepared to offer Boyle a two year, $5+ contract.  Then perhaps scoop up Erhoff.  Seems like the priorities are backwards on that one, although Boyle is a righty.

On one of the links some posted it said 2 years 11m

#14 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:33 PM

Source on McBain?...

BUFFALO NEWS:  John Vogl reports Sabres GM Tim Murray isn’t concerned about spending to reach the cap floor. Murray also decided not to qualify the rights of RFA defenseman Jamie McBain, making him eligible for UFA status on July 1.

what time does it start on tuesday guys? Im 4-5 hrs in front of yous over here

#15 krsmith17

krsmith17

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:43 PM

Thanks. I'd have a look at McBain for sure if we missed out on a couple other big names.

#16 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:50 PM

BUFFALO NEWS:  John Vogl reports Sabres GM Tim Murray isn’t concerned about spending to reach the cap floor. Murray also decided not to qualify the rights of RFA defenseman Jamie McBain, making him eligible for UFA status on July 1.

what time does it start on tuesday guys? Im 4-5 hrs in front of yous over here

12pm eastern standard time

#17 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:50 PM

I'm still calling Cleary + Alfie + Ray Whitney with time for Holland to tee off by noon.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#18 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:54 PM

Depends on your viewpoint on the whole thing.  I can see where getting a right handed, proven veteran for 2 years as a stop gap to the kids coming in is a smart move.  You don't tie up cap long-term and you give yourself flexibility for the next 2-3 UFA periods (what D may come available in the coming off-seasons?).  Also Boyle would do wonders as a mentor to Smith, etc.  I'm not saying this is my preference, but I can see the value in adding Boyle first and then going after a second d-man.  I would be happy if they got Boyle and Gilbert and add 2 right handed shots without breaking the bank.  Then they have money to add Iginla possibly (assuming the move out Kindl).

Thanks. I'd have a look at McBain for sure if we missed out on a couple other big names.

McBain could be a decent backup plan... I'm not too familiar with his style of play though.  Had a couple decent seasons with Carolina. (30 and 27 pts).

#19 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:54 PM

is Del Zotto in play as well?

Yes, didn't receive a qualifying offer from Nashville - they were trying to trade him earlier today but no dice. 

NSH not qualifying Michael Del Zotto. Throw another log on the UFA fire.

temp 1

#20 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:55 PM

What about Del Zotto?  Again, not too familiar with him.  I think I remember some on here talking about how he's not the best defensively, but can't remember for sure.