• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Andy Pred 48

UFA day looking up

Rate this topic

with all the late buy outs teams are doing, tomorrow could be more entertaining than we thought. I even think Kenny may get 2 or 3 new pieces for Babs to play with.

Good day at the office would be Kenny bringing in Stastny, Ehrhoff and Volchenkov and shedding some of our guys.

I agree that tomorrow is going to be a little more exciting than past Free Agency Frenzies, but I'm not sure it will be for Detroit so much... I think it is a long shot to think that Detroit will bring in 3 big name UFA's and I'm ok with that. You really think over paying for another left handed center, when we already have an abundance of centers, and targeting 2 left handed defencemen, on the wrong side of 30 is our best options?... I disagree. I wouldn't mind going after Ehrhoff if we strike out on Niskanen, but Volchenkov isn't even remotely close to the top of my list...

I agree that tomorrow is going to be a little more exciting than past Free Agency Frenzies, but I'm not sure it will be for Detroit so much... I think it is a long shot to think that Detroit will bring in 3 big name UFA's and I'm ok with that. You really think over paying for another left handed center, when we already have an abundance of centers, and targeting 2 left handed defencemen, on the wrong side of 30 is our best options?... I disagree. I wouldn't mind going after Ehrhoff if we strike out on Niskanen, but Volchenkov isn't even remotely close to the top of my list...

I think we should devote this thread to "our lists" List your moves you'd like to see Ken Holland make. Rank the order of importance.

with all the late buy outs teams are doing, tomorrow could be more entertaining than we thought. I even think Kenny may get 2 or 3 new pieces for Babs to play with.

Good day at the office would be Kenny bringing in Stastny, Ehrhoff and Volchenkov and shedding some of our guys.

It'll definitely be interesting to see how goes where, but personally, I wouldn't expect us to sign more than 1D man right now, possibly a forward such as Iginla too if there's mutual interest.

My priority list would be...

Defensemen

Matt Niskanen - 6-7 years at 5.5 - 6M

Christian Ehrhoff - 2-3 years at 4 - 4.5M

Tom Gilbert - 2-3 years at 3 - 3.5M

Dan Boyle - 1-2 years at 5 - 5.5M

Sami Salo - 1 year at 3.5 - 4M

Derek Morris - 1-2 years at 2.5 - 3M

Anton Stralman - 2-3 years at 2.5 - 3M

Forwards

Jarome Iginla - 1-2 years at 5 - 5.5M (some of the cap being in performance bonuses that can be transferred to next season)

Daniel Alfredsson - 1 year at 2 - 2.5M (".....performance bonuses.....")

I'd like to see us grab one defenceman and one forward.

Edited by krsmith17

So as to not be too disappointed, I'm going to say that I'd be happy with Ehrhoff and Radim Vrbata. I wouldn't be thrilled, but I could live with it.

Chances are that's asking too much as well.

We'll get Boyle and Alfie. I don't know why I bother pretending otherwise.

So as to not be too disappointed, I'm going to say that I'd be happy with Ehrhoff and Radim Vrbata. I wouldn't be thrilled, but I could live with it.

George Malik @georgemalik 21m

.@Mjurgh I call July 1st the "great disappointment" because even if KH signed everybody, Wings fans would still be upset.

Just read on Reddit that we're prepared to offer Boyle a two year, $5+ contract. Then perhaps scoop up Erhoff. Seems like the priorities are backwards on that one, although Boyle is a righty.

Guest DeGraa55

Just read on Reddit that we're prepared to offer Boyle a two year, $5+ contract. Then perhaps scoop up Erhoff. Seems like the priorities are backwards on that one, although Boyle is a righty.

On one of the links some posted it said 2 years 11m

Source on McBain?...

BUFFALO NEWS: John Vogl reports Sabres GM Tim Murray isn’t concerned about spending to reach the cap floor. Murray also decided not to qualify the rights of RFA defenseman Jamie McBain, making him eligible for UFA status on July 1.

what time does it start on tuesday guys? Im 4-5 hrs in front of yous over here

BUFFALO NEWS: John Vogl reports Sabres GM Tim Murray isn’t concerned about spending to reach the cap floor. Murray also decided not to qualify the rights of RFA defenseman Jamie McBain, making him eligible for UFA status on July 1.

12pm eastern standard time

Depends on your viewpoint on the whole thing. I can see where getting a right handed, proven veteran for 2 years as a stop gap to the kids coming in is a smart move. You don't tie up cap long-term and you give yourself flexibility for the next 2-3 UFA periods (what D may come available in the coming off-seasons?). Also Boyle would do wonders as a mentor to Smith, etc. I'm not saying this is my preference, but I can see the value in adding Boyle first and then going after a second d-man. I would be happy if they got Boyle and Gilbert and add 2 right handed shots without breaking the bank. Then they have money to add Iginla possibly (assuming the move out Kindl).

Thanks. I'd have a look at McBain for sure if we missed out on a couple other big names.

McBain could be a decent backup plan... I'm not too familiar with his style of play though. Had a couple decent seasons with Carolina. (30 and 27 pts).

5pm for us, just in time for the end of work, and then spending the entire evening watching and waiting!

Depends on your viewpoint on the whole thing. I can see where getting a right handed, proven veteran for 2 years as a stop gap to the kids coming in is a smart move. You don't tie up cap long-term and you give yourself flexibility for the next 2-3 UFA periods (what D may come available in the coming off-seasons?). Also Boyle would do wonders as a mentor to Smith, etc. I'm not saying this is my preference, but I can see the value in adding Boyle first and then going after a second d-man. I would be happy if they got Boyle and Gilbert and add 2 right handed shots without breaking the bank. Then they have money to add Iginla possibly (assuming the move out Kindl).

McBain could be a decent backup plan... I'm not too familiar with his style of play though. Had a couple decent seasons with Carolina. (30 and 27 pts).

What could Boyle teach Smith that Kronwall can't? Kronwall is the better player. He's had more success. Plays a gritty/offensive game (the way we'd like Smith to play). And he's a lefty, like Smith. Boyle and Smith have very little in common aside from the fact that neither are likely to score 20 pts. for the Red Wings next year (sorry, I had to).

Like I've said before, you can justify it however you like, but adding mediocre players to a mediocre team just leaves you mediocre.

i still have a feeling that Kenny has a trade up his sleeve :withstupid:

Philly is going to sign Cleary this time, then KH will trade our 1st for Dan Cleary

Honestly, the TSN guys are saying that Holland has had serious discussions with Buffalo re Tyler Myers. 24 years old, right handed shot, 6'8". I think he'd fit in well here.

Wasn't there talk of him coming during the trade deadline? I'd like to have Myers for sure.