166 replies to this topic

#121 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:24 AM

Agreed.

If Holland gets outbid by other GM's - is he then likely gonna sign guys like Gilbert, or Stralman, or will he goes with what he knows, and re-signs Quincey?

My impression is that Kenny understands the situation. We need a big name, and he's willing to go balls out for one, even if that means a trade. Stralman, Gilbert, et al. = Quincey II in his book, and he doesn't really want Quincey II. He wants a real difference-maker. And even if he doesn't, I've gotta think Babcock does.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#122 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:26 AM

My impression is that Kenny understands the situation. We need a big name, and he's willing to go balls out for one, even if that means a trade. Stralman, Gilbert, et al. = Quincey II in his book, and he doesn't really want Quincey II. He wants a real difference-maker. And even if he doesn't, I've gotta think Babcock does.

I disagree on Stralman. Unlike Quincey he can actually play defense.

#123 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,486 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:29 AM

I think Dabura is hitting it on the head. KH did well in the last offseason but it was derailed due to injury, and he is still smarting from Suter. I think he wants to make a splash again. Will it make a difference in retaining Babs if he does? Will it rejuvenate Pavs and Z?
It's pronounced "Zim" not "Exim". Aw heck with it, just call me Scott.

#124 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:31 AM

Wings out on Niskanen. http://www.freep.com...RTS05/307010072

Welcome to Detroit Boyle. Glad to see Holland is helping us get younger and faster. 

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#125 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:32 AM

I think Dabura is hitting it on the head. KH did well in the last offseason but it was derailed due to injury, and he is still smarting from Suter. I think he wants to make a splash again. Will it make a difference in retaining Babs if he does? Will it rejuvenate Pavs and Z?

I disagree he did well, as he built a team that is softer than a basket of puppies and more injury prone than octogenarian swing dancing contest.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#126 nawein

nawein

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:34 AM

Welcome to Detroit Boyle. Glad to see Holland is helping us get younger and faster. 

St. James, and only St. James has been saying that the whole time.

#127 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,233 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:35 AM

Agreed. I don't put much stock in st. James. she gets it wrong a lot.

#128 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:35 AM

Well - that article isn't factual - it's St.James opinion.

Holland IMHO is still in the hunt for Niskanen, and paying that much for Boyle leaves me scratching my head (although it is a short term deal).

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#129 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:36 AM

Well - that article isn't factual - it's St.James opinion.

Holland IMHO is still in the hunt for Niskanen, and paying that much for Boyle leaves me scratching my head (although it is a short term deal).

Ofcourse it makes sense. He's in the twilight of his career, ie perfect Holland bait. 

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#130 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,486 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:39 AM

Weiss and Alfie were good signings. Cleary was a fustercluck, but I can understand why due to his playoffs the year before, even if I disliked it. The Bert, Sammy, and Tootoo signings were from the year before and aren't considered in my eval of last seasons FA period.

If Cleary played like he did in the playoff run, Weiss was healthy and put up 50-60 points, and Alfie's back didn't flare up we'd all likely be singing his praises. Up front, it was a decent effort.

Agreed. I don't put much stock in st. James. she gets it wrong a lot.

Not a fan of St. James at all. I'm hoping the front office is using her as a smokescreen to disguise their real intentions. Either that, or she's being her usual hack self.

#131 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,233 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:40 AM

That would be smart. Make the competition think the wings are out of the running. Their offers might not be as good as ours then.

#132 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:54 AM

If someone told Helen St. James that the Wings were going to sign Ted Lindsay, she'd run the story without a second thought.  She'd regale us with theories about how "in the right role...", or "on Datsyuk's wing...", or "age doesn't affect hockey sense...". 

It's like her entire identity is at stake should Ken Holland's player acquisition strategy be thought unsuccessful.  Apparently, once Red Wings fans ever decide that loading up the team with declining veterans is a bad idea, the house of cards will tumble. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#133 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:04 AM

I wouldn't mind having Niskanen in Detroit, but he'll want $6-7 mil per year and he's just not worth that kind of money.  He's worth maybe $5 mil tops.  His offensive numbers were a little up this year, but remember he's passing the puck to Crosby and Malkin all season, he should have at least 30 assists.  Before that, his numbers were nothing special.  This has Brian Campbell Part II written all over it.  Someone will pay him $7 mil per year and his play won't be worth that much and next summer or the year after that, they'll be trading him to some bottom feeder looking to make the cap floor.

I don't like Holland's inactivity as much as the next person, but Niskanen is going to want more than he's worth and Holland is smart not to pay it.

#134 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:11 AM

I wouldn't mind having Niskanen in Detroit, but he'll want $6-7 mil per year and he's just not worth that kind of money.  He's worth maybe $5 mil tops.  His offensive numbers were a little up this year, but remember he's passing the puck to Crosby and Malkin all season, he should have at least 30 assists.  Before that, his numbers were nothing special.  This has Brian Campbell Part II written all over it.  Someone will pay him $7 mil per year and his play won't be worth that much and next summer or the year after that, they'll be trading him to some bottom feeder looking to make the cap floor.

I don't like Holland's inactivity as much as the next person, but Niskanen is going to want more than he's worth and Holland is smart not to pay it.

I agree with what you posted...

Now - as the cap continues to rise - will he be 'earning' his salary in a few short years?

Would guys on waiver Gleason - Volchenkov be a better value (even though they're not right handers)?

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#135 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:13 AM

That's definitely a possibility.  The other possibility is that he's a really good defenseman who's numbers are increasing because he's just entering his prime. 

Either way it beats signing a 38 year old declining veteran.  One who scored 36 pts. on a top six offensive team.  And who was -8 (the only defenseman on their team with a minus) on a top five defense.   Normally I don't put a lot of stock in plus/minus.  But the only people on that team with a worse plus/minus were fourth liners playing less than 13:00 a game.  Not a single other defender was a minus.

36 pts. and -8 is not that great, and it's only going to get worse considering Detroit is worse than San Jose offensively AND defensively. 

And we'll play 5.5 million dollars a year to get it. 

I cannot stress how stupid signing Boyle is. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#136 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,486 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:16 AM

I think right now he's worth about $5.5, but if the cap continues to rise, even at $6.75-7.25 million, if he produces, he'll be overpaid early in the term but a bargain by the end, in some ways like the Kronwall and/or Ericsson contracts.

#137 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:36 AM

...again, Boyle would be fine as long as there is another key signed or traded for...Niskanen and Boyle, Myers and Boyle, Erhoff and Boyle...pricey, but that would be a good day for the Wings.  If they could squeeze an Iginla in there with it, that's cool too.  Of course, today I really don't know what is gonna happen, might even get better than what I said! Who knows??!!? Could be Quincey... then I am over it, Holland will be deemed brain dead, because using the kids is far better than re-signing Quincey.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#138 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:37 AM

Look, even if you sign Boyle and Volchenkov/Strahlman you've improved and padded the defense. Boyle is incredibly smart and might be able to teach Brendan Smith the RIGHT time to jump into a play as he does it so well. Add any two of those guys to Kronner and The Big E and Smith, Dekeyser and Kindl and that's not bad at all. 

With as young as the Wings have become the last couple years I'd be happy to add Iginla on a wing and Boyle on the back end for a 1 or 2 year deal. 

IMHO

14767451334_8f0d14d8cb_o.jpg

#139 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:39 AM

may I stress IMO, the better day would be TWO defensemen, not ONE and ONE forward.  Address the pressing need at D..and then if money is left on the table, get a FWD...not named Alfie...

I would still LOVE to see Chicago buy out Hossa (if that is still an option) and have Holland re-sign him. Meh, one can dream...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#140 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,457 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:39 AM

Nervous time