• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:53 AM

@detroithockey96: Ha! The Wings gave Axel Holmstrom No 96 for Development Camp.

Bless

Axel Holmström @axelholma Jun 29

Sick. Best birthday present ever, I will do whatever it takes to put that red & white jersey on. @DetroitRedWings

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#22 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:58 AM

Is it possible the Wings are using this camp as a way to see how Marchenko is progressing after his injury? That is the only reason I could see him being asked to come. 

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#23 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:20 AM

Is it possible the Wings are using this camp as a way to see how Marchenko is progressing after his injury? That is the only reason I could see him being asked to come. 

Probably, and the fact that he only played half a season over here. 

temp 1

#24 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:08 PM

Yup. Though, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Marchenko's idea. When you're looking to make a jump to the next level but you're also coming off a season-ending injury, you're gonna want to do as much as you can to get back to where you were.

If it's up to me (and, believe it or not, it isn't), Marchenko is my #6 on opening night, assuming the candidates more or less show as expected in training camp. I look at Olli Maatta and how he's sort of changed the game for the Pens to the point where they could lose Ehrhoff for nothing next summer (after having lost Niskanen and Orpik for nothing this summer) and not really care. Marchenko's a fairly similar player with, I think, a very high ceiling.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#25 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:13 PM

Yup. Though, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Marchenko's idea. When you're looking to make a jump to the next level but you're also coming off a season-ending injury, you're gonna want to do as much as you can to get back to where you were.

If it's up to me (and, believe it or not, it isn't), Marchenko is my #6 on opening night, assuming the candidates more or less show as expected in training camp. I look at Olli Maatta and how he's sort of changed the game for the Pens to the point where they could lose Ehrhoff for nothing next summer (after having lost Niskanen and Orpik for nothing this summer) and not really care. Marchenko's a fairly similar player with, I think, a very high ceiling.

Sproul hasn't worn the winged wheel yet, but I was much more impressed with Ouellet so far of the three. Marchenko was solid but Ouellet made a few play that made him look like a poised vet d-man. Very excited about him right now.

#26 DannyD

DannyD

Rookie

• Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:20 AM

I'm seeing a ton of really good things about AA so far in camp. 

As an added bonus, he's not only a speed demon who has incredible offensive abilities, but he's also pretty good defensively as well. He has the potential to be a dynamic two way forward with high offensive potential. - WIIM

Athanasiou takes the Datsyuk faceoff approach. If at first you don't succeed, steal it back anyway.

Yup AA is practicing face offs instead off drills with the wingers. I read he won every faceoff against Turgeon and Ehn.

I always take not of which player is the last off the ice, staying to tap/fist bump his teammates. On team Lidstrom it's Andreas Athanasiou

Athanasiou goes all out in these faceoffs. If he doesn't win one, he still finds a way to get the puck right back. Unbelievable. #RedWings

Andreas Athanasiou looks the most NHL-ready on Team Lidstrom, possibly in the entire camp. #RedWings

LOTS of high praise for AA everywhere you look. 

Some other things that stood out to me..

After a few times through the drills however, Nosek became a little more comfortable and made some great offensive moves. Time will tell, but he appears to have some great offensive abilities and slick moves with the puck. - WIIM

Jiri Fischer on Pulks... "He came into camp last year "ripped." In better shape than anyone." 

More: "A smaller version of Brett Hull, can score like Jari Kurri."

He expects Pulks to come in and challenge for a spot on the Wings roster during camp this year.

http://youtu.be/jfWYdTRxKrI 

#27 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:42 AM

So we have Pulkkinen, Mantha and Athaniesou fighting for roster spots?  I think that's something exciting to look forward to.  Don't sign Cleary, cause I'd much rather have a kid sniper, a guy that skates like Pavel Bure, or a 6'5 power forward with a nasty scoring touch.  And that's just at forward. @ Number9, the Wings brass was saying all year that Ouellet is the most NHL ready of them all currently.  Those plays you're referring to, you see those every time he laces 'em up.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#28 CMatt89

CMatt89

The REAL great one...

• PipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:59 AM

Sproul hasn't worn the winged wheel yet, but I was much more impressed with Ouellet so far of the three. Marchenko was solid but Ouellet made a few play that made him look like a poised vet d-man. Very excited about him right now.

Pretty sure sproul played the last game of the season. Looked good, had a huge hit.

#29 DannyD

DannyD

Rookie

• Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:03 AM

So we have Pulkkinen, Mantha and Athaniesou fighting for roster spots?  I think that's something exciting to look forward to.  Don't sign Cleary, cause I'd much rather have a kid sniper, a guy that skates like Pavel Bure, or a 6'5 power forward with a nasty scoring touch.  And that's just at forward. @ Number9, the Wings brass was saying all year that Ouellet is the most NHL ready of them all currently.  Those plays you're referring to, you see those every time he laces 'em up.

If AA can keep up the pace he is on he might be fighting for that #1C spot in a few years or at very least a #2C. It sounds like he has really been working on his faceoffs and two way play. The kid is electric. I would LOVE to see Tatar-AA-Jurco. That line could do some major damage in a couple years.

#30 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,726 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:20 AM

If AA can keep up the pace he is on he might be fighting for that #1C spot in a few years or at very least a #2C. It sounds like he has really been working on his faceoffs and two way play. The kid is electric. I would LOVE to see Tatar-AA-Jurco. That line could do some major damage in a couple years.

In GR right? You can't possibly mean the Wings.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#31 DannyD

DannyD

Rookie

• Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:55 AM

In GR right? You can't possibly mean the Wings.

Why can't I? No one thought Pavel or Z were gonna be #1 guys when they were drafted. It's not like I'm saying he could be #1 next year or even the year after that, but I think he could make that leap eventually.

Everything I've read says he could be a dynamic two way player.  

#32 krsmith17

krsmith17

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:28 PM

Does anyone know why Mike McKee is playing defense at the development camp? I thought they had decided to convert him to forward? Which in my opinion was the right call...

#33 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:35 PM

Does anyone know why Mike McKee is playing defense at the development camp? I thought they had decided to convert him to forward? Which in my opinion was the right call...

Because Marchenko is injured.

In his first season at Western Michigan University, McKee played in twenty-one games and registered one goal, while battling injuries and being moved around between the offense and defense.

McKee talked about playing both offense and defense, “I think I can play either position, I don’t really have a preference. It is wherever they need me to play, I will play.”

McKee is willing to play wherever the coach wants him to play, but he seems to like playing on the offensive side of the puck. Detroit has McKee as a F/D on their Development Camp roster, but with Alexey Marchenko not practicing the coaches have kept him exclusively on defense and he has been impressive.

LINK

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#34 krsmith17

krsmith17

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:45 PM

Thanks, much appreciated! I'm still hoping this kid can mature into a serviceable 4th line player for the Wings in a few years...

#35 krsmith17

krsmith17

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:30 PM

Lol, speaking of McKee

http://www.mlive.com...e_mistaken.html

Has anyone here been lucky enough to get down to Traverse City to catch any of the development camp? I'm curious to see how a few of the camp invitees have looked. Mainly, Kyle Baun and Mark Cooper.

#36 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

This space for rent.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:23 PM

Pretty sure bet to never get raised to the rafters, so now we just have to continually draft Holmstroms (no relation) until the end of time. haha

@detroithockey96: Ha! The Wings gave Axel Holmstrom No 96 for Development Camp.

Bless

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by Heineken and sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13