• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Swayze

Wings sign Kevin Porter to 1-year, 2-way contract

Rate this topic

TSN reporting we signed Kevin Porter for 1 year, no money reported yet. Local guy, not sure what to think about it yet.

Edit: My only source so far - http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=25880

Edit 2: Bob McKenzie reporting this is a two-way deal. He split last year between Buffalo and Rochester. Probably a signing to give the kids some competition, let them earn their spots with the big boys.

Edited by Swayze

So he's from here? Great. He can go get coffee, or knows how to drive to Grand Rapids. Thanks, KH!

How about a little twilight golf? Sounds good!

The fact that we have to look up this guy on Wikipedia means he is not the right signing.

Edited by AtomicPunk

I'm just going to throw out my theory on this which may or may not be true...

At this point Holland is getting nowhere with the targeted free agents so instead they sign this AHL'er to fill a roster spot in GR and plan to go with the kids they have. At least that what I'm hoping because this guy is NOT and NHL quality player.

Edited by Roxshot

WIIM:

The Red Wings' most pressing need going into free agency was a top-4 defenseman, and the organization was intent on finding a right-handed shooting defenseman at that. Kevin Porter fills exactly zero of those needs. But at least he shoots left! And is a center! And went to the University of Michigan!

Porter will likely spend the season in Grand Rapids with a potential call-up in the event of injury. Depending on how the Red Wings plan to use Porter, this may not turn out to be a terrible signing per se. The timing of it, however, signals troubling issues on management's game plan for July 1. Kevin Porter is not a July 1 signing. There are Kevin Porter-type players to be had much later into free agency, even right up against the start of the season if need be. Just as Petr Mrazek didn't need to be extended the first day he could be, there's no reason Kevin Porter needed to be sought after and signed by today.

I want to sign an enforcer to protect our team from Ken Holland.

Edited by Dabura

So he's from here? Great. He can go get coffee, or knows how to drive to Grand Rapids. Thanks, KH!

How about a little twilight golf? Sounds good!

The fact that we have to look up this guy on Wikipedia means he is not the right signing.

I knew him, but only because I watched him play for the Rampage 5 years ago.

Avs get iginla, briere and stuart and Kenny signs this guy.

We like our team

The Avs have done a terrible job this off season. Stuart was done a year before we let him go. Parenteau at this point is better than Briere, and Iggy won't last 3 seasons.

Porter showed a few glimpses with them a few years ago, but I don't think he ever really stuck with their line up.