• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

haroldsnepsts

Quincey re-signed by DET. 2 yr s $4.25 mill AAV

Rate this topic

Instead of promoting a young player they 're sign the second worst dman we had last year with a raise. It's not just who we missed out on this year. He's been saying we need a top 4 right handed shot to bolster the blue line for years and has done nothing about it. He talks about the kids and instead gives raises to plugs that are useless.

So true!

Evilzyme and I had a hilarious, big text-out today about this exact situation, when it comes to Dan Cleary. Jurco will be in the AHL and Cleary will take HIS spot (the spot he certainly has earned over Cleary). Cleary will sign a one way contract, with a raise (and it wouldnt surprise me in the least if it was a 2 year deal). Jurco will spend 20- 30 games in GR until it is beyond obvious, AGAIN, that Cleary is utterly useless. At which point, we will call up Jurco and state how its already the playoffs because were 5 games out of a playoff spot. Niether Holland (ignorance) or Babcock (man crush on Cleary) will admit that keeping Cleary cost a better player his spot and probably cost us a couple wins. Jurco will have to deal with knowing that no matter how hard he works in camp, he wont win a spot.

The exact same, word for word, situation happened last year except it was Nyquist and the writing is already on the wall for what i said above. And the Nyquist situation may have almost directly caused the Legwand trade.

Im so disturbed by this week. I've always been a Holland supporter (even backed him up recently because of the farm), but he has clearly lost it. His lack of trying to make this team better for Lidstrom and Dats last years, i believe, has made Detroit a less shiny destination. His pathetic signings and handling of Sammy, White, Tootoo, and others makes this seem like somewhere that isnt a first destination for FA. And i seriously hope he doesnt try to trade hia way out of this now, because the Legwand trade makes me think he has no idea how to haggle or read the market. Im pissed at him because his selfishness caused Yzerman and Nill to walk, and by the looks of things, Nill may have been a bigger piece than we even thought. I dont think he is scared of losing his job either, because he'll probably die before Ilitch fires him. I've lost the faith...

Who else can't wait to see Smith and Quincey pair up for yet another season?

:confused:

Moment you've been waiting for GMR. Quote from KH:

“There are still a lot of players out there that could be good one-year bargains,” Holland said. “We’ll keep kicking tires. I was hoping to get one or two right-shot defensemen, but they signed elsewhere, that’s their prerogative. That’s going to happen more and more with the cap ceiling and floor going up.”

“There are still a lot of players out there that could be good one-year bargains,” Holland said. “We’ll keep kicking tires. I was hoping to get one or two right-shot defensemen, but they signed elsewhere, that’s their prerogative. That’s going to happen more and more with the cap ceiling and floor going up.”

Translation of Holland's statement:

"Because I can no longer spend Mr. Illitch's money like a drunk birthday boy at a strip club, I will finally be exposed as a fraud."

I've never seen him use that one before. Not sure if I like that better than the other quote you posted earlier.

Sounds like Holland will be kicking the tires of an Oldsmobile and bring back Bertuzzi. That's what this quote sounds like.

I've been thinking this a lot lately, that we're stagnant that is. The team just looks like it has no drive lately, and I think this signing will make it worse as a whole. Wasn't Quincey initially not going to be brought back? The fact that Holland flip flopped and brought him back now basically spews a "well I guess I'll sign Kyle Quincey then" attitude, and makes it seem like there's just not a lot of drive to win in the organization.

I think it wasnt being stagnant, it was because NO ONE wanted to sign here. Holland probably got scared and did something to do something because he's lost.

There are still a lot of players out there that could be good one-year bargains, Holland said. Well keep kicking tires. I was hoping to get one or two right-shot defensemen, but they signed elsewhere, thats their prerogative. Thats going to happen more and more with the cap ceiling and floor going up.

I'd like to kick him in the tires.

I've never seen him use that one before. Not sure if I like that better than the other quote you posted earlier.

Sounds like Holland will be kicking the tires of an Oldsmobile and bring back Bertuzzi. That's what thisl quote sounds like.

And lose Alfie because we didnt do anything to get better. And resign Cleary, because...duh, he has heart...no talent, but alot of heart.

The really s***ty part of this is it's going to be hard to find a way out of this slide without blowing up some part of this team. This team is bleeding credibility, and even with a strong group of young players coming up, too many people in the league are no longer taking us seriously as an option. You can't change the ******* name, so you need to do something to send a message. That's what's going to sting about a new GM coming in. We'll lose prospects, you can bet on it. We'll have to overpay. But it's what's going to be necessary when someone new comes in. And realistically, when you make big moves that shake things up, there's no guarantee that it won't blow up in your face. It might not, but you've got to be prepared for the possibility, and you've got to do something to shake the image of this team up.

Worst case scenario, you go into a legitimate rebuild mode and get yourself in a position to draft more impact players that will eventually help the team.

Best case scenario, you've got a strong enough stable and enough decent years left in Dats, Z and Kronwall to get the ship going in the right direction without having to nosedive first. People get a little bit more excited about a new look team and maybe you get yourself in a position to sign the players you want to sign again.

Either is a better option than letting this team continue to rot and lose credibility. If anyone thinks that the league isn't looking at us and laughing heartily about the Quincey deal, they're kidding themselves.

I think it wasnt being stagnant, it was because NO ONE wanted to sign here. Holland probably got scared and did something to do something because he's lost.

He gave up. I can see the "lack of drive" argument. He could've waited all summer to find a deal somewhere else. Maybe Europe? Instead, he signed our worst defensemen who actually cost us at least 16 games last season, gave him a raise, and closed up a roster spot. So basically...we're done on defense. A kid needs to get a chance. Maybe we add someone like Vrbata, but we're basically done up front, too.

So on day one of free agency...Holland has already given up. Sure, we discarded some chaff, but not enough, and we didn't actually get any better. We can only hope we're good enough to get a higher seed in the playoffs and maybe get a more favorable matchup until we run into a team like the Bruins who are built to beat our team.

We have three RH DMen at GR....Marchenko and Jensen are 2nd/3rd pairing types and are ready or close to it. Sproul has a chance to be a top pairing guy, but he needs at least another year at GR. I'd be fine with waiving bye bye to Kindl and Lashoff if Marchenko and Jensen look ready in camp.

I said earlier this year I'd be good with re-signing Quincey if the price was right...a two year deal for 8.5? Close enough for me....

He gave up. I can see the "lack of drive" argument. He could've waited all summer to find a deal somewhere else. Maybe Europe? Instead, he signed our worst defensemen who actually cost us at least 16 games last season, gave him a raise, and closed up a roster spot. So basically...we're done on defense. A kid needs to get a chance. Maybe we add someone like Vrbata, but we're basically done up front, too.

So on day one of free agency...Holland has already given up. Sure, we discarded some chaff, but not enough, and we didn't actually get any better. We can only hope we're good enough to get a higher seed in the playoffs and maybe get a more favorable matchup until we run into a team like the Bruins who are built to beat our team.

I think a lot of people realize how terrible this Quincey signing is, but I don't think as many have a grasp of how much it means in the big picture. It's just utterly horrendous. Even if the guy wasn't as bad as he is, it's just such a terrible thing to go and do when our image already in the toilet. You do nothing and you can at least go on trying to minimize what happened today, but signing Quincey to that deal was a grand acknowledgement of the fact that this off-season is already an epic disaster for the Detroit Red Wings.

Edited by gcom007

I think a lot of people realize how terrible this Quincey signing is, but I don't think as many has a grasp of how much it means in the big picture. It's just utterly horrendous. Even if they guy wasn't as bad as he is, it's just a such a terrible thing to go and do with our image already in the toilet. You do nothing and you can at least go on trying to minimize what happened today, but signing Quincey to that deal was a grand acknowledgement of the fact that this off-season is already an epic disaster for the Detroit Red Wings.

I feel ya. But it wouldnt be the Wings unless an older, useless player took a younger, more skilled players spot. Quincey = Cleary.

I think a lot of people realize how terrible this Quincey signing is, but I don't think as many has a grasp of how much it means in the big picture. It's just utterly horrendous. Even if they guy wasn't as bad as he is, it's just a such a terrible thing to go and do with our image already in the toilet. You do nothing and you can at least go on trying to minimize what happened today, but signing Quincey to that deal was a grand acknowledgement of the fact that this off-season is already an epic disaster for the Detroit Red Wings.

Their whole reaction has made the Red Wings' image suffer. Holland coming out and admitting he is baffled, the signing of Quincey, the big public spectacle about everyone rejecting the Wings, it does some serious damage long-term. We can't build a successful team only through the draft. Sooner or later we'll have to make a trade to supplement. But I guess it's set in stone, the team's goal is to "wait and see" by struggling for a few more years and hope enough of our prospects all turn into all-stars.

Holland doesn't seem to be fazed.

Holland said he is not disappointed, however.

"Not in the least," Holland said. "You're talking about 4-5 players and there's 30 teams. It's free agency; it's wide open. Other teams are after these players, too. Last year we got the guys wanted (forwards Stephen Weiss and Daniel Alfredsson) this year we didn't."

Their whole reaction has made the Red Wings' image suffer. Holland coming out and admitting he is baffled, the signing of Quincey, the big public spectacle about everyone rejecting the Wings, it does some serious damage long-term. We can't build a successful team only through the draft. Sooner or later we'll have to make a trade to supplement. But I guess it's set in stone, the team's goal is to "wait and see" by struggling for a few more years and hope enough of our prospects all turn into all-stars.

Especially at the positions we end up drafting at. Too many people are aware of the European players now and while we still manage to bring in good talent, we're not drafting in the position to bring in the kind of talent you can bet on being able to build a team around. Even Nyquist and Tatar haven't proven they'll be those guys in the long term, and Mantha hasn't even seen an AHL game yet. You hope for the best from all of them, but you can't just assume they'll automatically be star players just because you hope it comes true. If we're going to have a successful team that's mostly built from the draft, we're going to need to tank, and that's only going to happen in the near term if we get a new GM that unsuccessfully blows up the team to change the makeup and hopefully shake up the image. Such a process could end well too, but if Holland stays on and runs things as he has been, we'll continue to be out of contention for the spots that get a chance at drafting franchise players.

Holland doesn't seem to be fazed.

Holland said he is not disappointed, however.

"Not in the least," Holland said. "You're talking about 4-5 players and there's 30 teams. It's free agency; it's wide open. Other teams are after these players, too. Last year we got the guys wanted (forwards Stephen Weiss and Daniel Alfredsson) this year we didn't."

Is Holland senile too? I mean, seriously, show a little passion. You're either out of your damn mind or you're lying through your teeth making bulls*** statements like that.