• Please log in to reply
373 replies to this topic

#301 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:44 AM

The only way this signing works for me is if KH takes Q and K and flips them to Florida or Buffalo for Campbell/Myers. (respectively.)  While both teams could take on their money and have spots for them, I can't imagine that Ken Holland is capable of this move.  #1. It's includes a sign and trade.  #2. It moves two guys that he seemingly cannot give up on. 

Yes, I'd rather have their (Campbell/Meyers) outrageous cap-hits and the question marks they bring when it comes to their play over the only slightly less outrageous cap-hits of two players that have tread water for the last few years here in Detroit. 

Shake it up, KH.

EDIT:  The thing that kills me about this... KH will probably have to add something besides K+Q to get anyone to take them off our hands.   How about Andersson?  nahhh. Still not enough.

Edited by e_prime, 02 July 2014 - 07:58 AM.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#302 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,262 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:52 AM

So. After a night's sleep on this I have come to realise one thing. If I tried to ignore all the posts I didn't like in this thread, I'd be left with virtually nothing to read.  :lol:

Seriously though, everyone really does need to just chill. We've still got a very good, competitive team that will see improvement from our kids (both at forward and D), hopefully a return to form from our number 1 goalie, hopefully a healthy season from Weiss and a full season from Datsyuk and Z. That alone should get us a good solid seeding for the playoffs. I'll bet on that. 

Yes the Quincey move does look a little panicked, but I still believe that he had a solid second half (I saw it with my own eyes after all, and I'm sure several others did). The thing with a D man like Quincey is, that when he is playing well, you don't notice he's there, such that if anyone asked you if he had a solid second half, you wouldn't be able to remember because he never did anything spectacularly good or bad. 

There is, in my opinion, absolutely no reason to panic, because we haven't had a losing season since 1991. I don't need to sit here and regurgitate the facts. But the point is, I could understand if people were being defeatist and calling for KH's head if we had a horrendous season, but the fact, is, we didn't. By all accounts it was a good season, if not miraculous. And we saw the future develop right before us that I believe will be our core for years to come. They might not contain the next D or Z, but let's face it, when those guys were rookies, did anyone ever envisage them turning into the stars they are today?

The point is, this team didn't get any worse at all this offseason. In fact, it got better as the kids will have another year's worth of season and playoff experience, we;ll be healthy again (touch wood), and we subtracted some old worn out parts (Bertuzzi, Samuelsson - and hopefully Cleary but that remains to be seen). Oh yea, and we've got Mantha turning pro, and several kids in GR ready to step in and actually challenge for jobs in training camp.

So why all the doom and gloom? There is actually a lot to like about this teams future.  

We did have a horrendous season. Barely making it into the playoffs. All the injuries. Goaltending and defense issues. What part of the season was miraculous? Just because nyquist went on an absolute tear in the last half doesn't make it a miraculous season. In fact it shows how bad we were that one (basically rookie) had to carry our team. Holland can talk about us needing that right hand shot on the blue line all he wants. Until he actually does something useful for once he has lost this loyal Holland defenders confidence.

#303 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:58 AM

It all depends on what you expect. If you expect the Red Wings to be equal or worse than the Minnesota Wild, then you're ok. (actually the Wild was better than them last year.)

If you hope for them to win the Stanley Cup or go to the Finals, then you're disappointed. We saw this team barely make the playoffs last year, I can't expect there to be a dramatic improvement with the same ingredients.

I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#304 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:00 AM

Overall, I would say the east got weaker. Boston got considerably worse, and I would argue that Pittsburgh and New York got worse as well. The only team in the east that I think got a lot better is Washington and does anyone think Washington can be any kind of threat anymore with no goalies and Ovi no longer caring about anything but goals?

The Caps barely missed the playoffs, beat us in all three of our meetings this season, and now have an infinitely superior coach (Oates alone was enough to sink their season) and a top four of Carlson, Niskanen, Green, Orpik, which means they'll actually be able to defend a lick and that their power play will probably be as ludicrous as ever. Also, Ovie will be playing with an unholy chip on his shoulder. I like their chances of making the playoffs. That, theoretically, hurts our chances.

In our division...

• Boston will be a powerhouse, because of course they will.
  • TB added Garrison and Stralman and have all they need (including a bad taste in their mouths from their embarrassing first-round defeat) to be an extremely competitive team and an absolute ***** to play against. And don't forget about Jonathan Drouin. Stamkos and Drouin terrorizing Quincey. That'll be fun.
  • Montreal should be slightly better. Parenteau is an upgrade over Briere, Gilbert gives their blue line a little more punch, Galchenyuk should be healthy, Subban will continue to grow, Gionta was always a lame captain, and the whole team will surely rally around some bulls*** "We were cheated; this time it's personal" mentality.
  • Buffalo should be slightly better. Reinhart and stuff.
  • Florida should be better. Ekblad and two Wings-hating chumps in Thornton and Bolland, and stuff.
  • Toronto should be slightly better.
  • Ottawa will be terrible.

We have to hope that a relatively healthy Wings team is, in fact, a formidable one.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#305 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,958 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:04 AM

Quincey is better than Kindl, Lashoff and through most of the season, better then Smith. Every low tier defensemen we bring in is a disaster trying to learn babcocks system anyways. I'd rather this Quincey deal then that reported 3 years to robidas. He's overpaid but it doesn't matter it's not like we will be in a cap crunch

#306 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:22 AM

Some thoughts.

1. LOL!

2. I can handle not landing any UFA's. That is always a crap shoot. You can wine and dine those guys, throw lots of years and money at them, and they still may go somewhere else.

3. BUT resigning Qunicey? Terrible.

4. Holland needs to make a major move by August 1 to flip this around.

5. Those expecting us to be better because "we are healthy", please wake up and join the real world. We haven't been healthy in 3 seasons now. Most of the same old and injury prone players are coming back. Man games lost will not change much.

6. The last 3 years have produced worse winning % each year. 11/12 we won 43 games, just over 50%. in 12/13 we won 24-50%, this last season we won 39 just under 50%. That is trending the wrong way.

#307 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:30 AM

This is a nightmare on so many levels...not only to we not upgrade, but bringing back Quincey ON THE FIRST DAY OF FA is the single worst knee-jerk panic signing I've seen, even for post-2009 Holland. At a raise under the lower salary cap (compared to his last deal) this is another head-scratcher, and reeks of desperation.

Compared to every other defenseman signing yesterday, this is far and away the worst with regard to player and cap-hit. I know it was early in the day and we were still waiting to hear from Niskanen (despite reports that the Wings were told he wasn't interest), but we literally said "no thanks" to Tom Gilbert and his 28pts -5 playing with Florida at half the price of Quincey's 13pts -5. Its like the twilight zone in here...

The cap-hit is ridiculous when you look at nearly every other signing, D G or F signed yesterday, but the 2 year term also means we'll have Sproul and Oullet climbing over worthless bodies to find a roster spot, just like Tatar and Nyquist. After we missed out on Boyle, Ehrhoff, Niskanen, Gilbert, Stralman, even I was saying stand pat, our team will be better with health and further development of the kids up front, and I find it hard to believe Sproul/Oullet could be worse on their entry-level contract than Quincey or other Plan C options at any price. This is exactly the deal that Holland pulls every summer and it NEVER pans out. Signing something, anything is not a solution.

#308 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:33 AM

Some thoughts.

1. LOL!

2. I can handle not landing any UFA's. That is always a crap shoot. You can wine and dine those guys, throw lots of years and money at them, and they still may go somewhere else.

3. BUT resigning Qunicey? Terrible.

4. Holland needs to make a major move by August 1 to flip this around.

5. Those expecting us to be better because "we are healthy", please wake up and join the real world. We haven't been healthy in 3 seasons now. Most of the same old and injury prone players are coming back. Man games lost will not change much.

6. The last 3 years have produced worse winning % each year. 11/12 we won 43 games, just over 50%. in 12/13 we won 24-50%, this last season we won 39 just under 50%. That is trending the wrong way.

We consistently become less and less competitive, and yet, pundits like Malik are blaming the state of Joe Louis Arena.  Unbelievable. 

As I've said a thousand times.  Please, Ken Holland, don't do something stupid to make this worse.  You're already a huge embarrassing failure.  Losing Tatar or Jurco in a lopsided panic move is only going to make it worse. 

Don't bring anyone else in, don't over think things, don't kick tires or pick up the phone.  Just give the remaining spots to Ryan Sproul and Mantha, and in a couple years (despite your best efforts) we should be respectable again (under head coach Jeff Blashill). 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#309 Ekmanc

Ekmanc

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:34 AM

This really makes Holland seem like a panicking idiot with no plan.

I would looooooove to hear Babcock's thoughts on this situation.

#310 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:36 AM

This is a nightmare on so many levels...not only to we not upgrade, but bringing back Quincey ON THE FIRST DAY OF FA is the single worst knee-jerk panic signing I've seen, even for post-2009 Holland. At a raise under the lower salary cap (compared to his last deal) this is another head-scratcher, and reeks of desperation.

Compared to every other defenseman signing yesterday, this is far and away the worst with regard to player and cap-hit. I know it was early in the day and we were still waiting to hear from Niskanen (despite reports that the Wings were told he wasn't interest), but we literally said "no thanks" to Tom Gilbert and his 28pts -5 playing with Florida at half the price of Quincey's 13pts -5. Its like the twilight zone in here...

The cap-hit is ridiculous when you look at nearly every other signing, D G or F signed yesterday, but the 2 year term also means we'll have Sproul and Oullet climbing over worthless bodies to find a roster spot, just like Tatar and Nyquist. After we missed out on Boyle, Ehrhoff, Niskanen, Gilbert, Stralman, even I was saying stand pat, our team will be better with health and further development of the kids up front, and I find it hard to believe Sproul/Oullet could be worse on their entry-level contract than Quincey or other Plan C options at any price. This is exactly the deal that Holland pulls every summer and it NEVER pans out. Signing something, anything is not a solution.

While I don't agree with re-signing Q- I wanted to promote from within when the Wings missed out on the best UFAs- Engelland at 3yrs/2.9m and Orpik at 5yrs/5.5m are much worse.

#311 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,933 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:42 AM

Imagine the sound of his voice when he ripped the team another one during one 24/7 special and than multiply it 2 times and add some glass shattering...that might come close to what he is really thinking right now.

Edited by frankgrimes, 02 July 2014 - 08:43 AM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#312 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:09 AM

Well as I said before, he would panic and sign KFQ and I would call him Ken Doll for the rest of time.

In related news a leaked picture from Ken Doll's last physical:

ken_doll.jpg

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#313 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,458 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:12 AM

Quincey and Ericsson have the same cap hit. Ok....

#314 Shinzaki

Shinzaki

Rookie

• Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:27 AM

Quincey was NOT the "worst player on last year's blueline".  Far from it...he was actually very solid the 2nd half of the year defensively.   Lashoff and Kindl were worse...much much worse.  Kindl took a giant step backward last year.

#315 sjr2012

sjr2012

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:51 AM

something big has to be coming I feel like the worst case has been done so now all we can do is get something big in return either a power score or a trade for a number 1 d  

try to get something by me i dare you

:goalie:

#316 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,939 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:52 AM

This is right on.

Ken Holland took a giant dump yesterday, and when everyone rejected what he's done to the Wings... He goes and throws an insane amount of money at the worst player on last year's blue line.

That's right, instead of letting the absolutely worst defenceman on the team go, he gave him a huge raise in hopes that the extra cash would magically make him a better player.

Genius move by KH.

Kindl was the worst defenseman on the team last year.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#317 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,275 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:10 AM

Have we gotten to the point where keeping Kyle Quincey is justified by comparing him to a first round bust and 7th d-man? The only reason Quincey gets credit for having a stronger second half of the season is because his first half was such an absolute disaster, anything was going to look like an improvement. I remember a couple games alone early in the season where Quincey turnovers led directly to the Wings losing games. So maybe Quincey cut down on those in the second half, but he still provided nothing offensively and took 88 minutes worth of penalties because he isn't good defensively either and/or he's not very smart on the ice. 

On top of this, Kyle Quincey got a raise. Just because he showed up every night and was less of a catastrophe for part of a season. Nor does Quincey address any of the Wings issues defensively, being he's not right-handed and doesn't move the puck well (unless you count to the other team.) In addition, to no other team having a serious interest in Quincey through the first six hours of free agency being open. 

Complete panic move for the sake of Holland saying he tried and this was his solution for "something" when "nothing" was actually the best course of action. 

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#318 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:15 AM

Have we gotten to the point where keeping Kyle Quincey is justified by comparing him to a first round bust and 7th d-man? The only reason Quincey gets credit for having a stronger second half of the season is because his first half was such an absolute disaster, anything was going to look like an improvement. I remember a couple games alone early in the season where Quincey turnovers led directly to the Wings losing games. So maybe Quincey cut down on those in the second half, but he still provided nothing offensively and took 88 minutes worth of penalties because he isn't good defensively either and/or he's not very smart on the ice. 

On top of this, Kyle Quincey got a raise. Just because he showed up every night and was less of a catastrophe for part of a season. Nor does Quincey address any of the Wings issues defensively, being he's not right-handed and doesn't move the puck well (unless you count to the other team.) In addition, to no other team having a serious interest in Quincey through the first six hours of free agency being open. 

Complete panic move for the sake of Holland saying he tried and this was his solution for "something" when "nothing" was actually the best course of action. 

But but but... Kindl was even worse!

#319 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:19 AM

Anyone else find it funny that the Quincey signing has yet to be posted on FB or twitter?  Ken Holland = Joe D

Babcock is probably pissed that Q took so much money, because it then will cut into Clearys 5 year $9 million dollar offer Babcock is fighting to get his little pet. 

There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#320 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:20 AM

Anyone else find it funny that the Quincey signing has yet to be posted on FB or twitter?  Ken Holland = Joe D

Speaking of which, is #KenHollandisaf*ckup trending on Twitter yet?

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."